Report: Apple Pitching $30/mo iTunes TV Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hmmm in combination with a 27 inch Imac (or whatever these macs are called) I can image that you dan save yourself buying a tv. good Idea

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Erdinger[/nom]Hmmm in combination with a 27 inch Imac (or whatever these macs are called) I can image that you dan save yourself buying a tv. good Idea[/citation]

Typically I'd agree with you to some extent, however, I just can't see myself sitting at a desk or huddled around a laptop to watch TV. I don't know, maybe there's an entire market out there that I'm completely missing but I'd rather take the couch over an office chair. Just my opinion.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
If the TV service was in HD AND I could record episodes I would definitely consider their service. Although I doubt that will happen.

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]If the TV service was in HD AND I could record episodes I would definitely consider their service. Although I doubt that will happen.[/citation]

That's true, Apple does seem to be the paragon of copy protection.

G

I would without question sign up for this. iTunes had made it so easy to catch up on shows you miss during broadcast, forgot to DVR, or got interested in before premier that I use it all the time. It would be great to pay one price per month and then just pick and choose whatever I wanted to watch on my iphone, appletv or Mac (Yes I have them all).

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
pfff. 30 bucks a month or a 50-70 dollar tuner card? thanks but no thanks. I'll take the tuner card. I already pay for cable.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
There is a limit on bandwidth for most people. Also, you would need the hardware to output to your TV from your computer ie HDMI out with sound. I guess it depends what you get for the $30, which is around the same price as basic cable most places.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]podsix[/nom]That's true, Apple does seem to be the paragon of copy protection.[/citation]

I wonder if you could use FRAPS...

However there is a FREE site fancast.com. Saw the comercials and I thought it was bull but it's not bad, still have a little bit of comercials however they aren't 4 to 5 minutes long like 30 seconds. Most good shows are on it.

30 bucks a month seems a little much though, just as much as cable service is.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]adaman2576[/nom]pfff. 30 bucks a month or a 50-70 dollar tuner card? thanks but no thanks. I'll take the tuner card. I already pay for cable.[/citation]

And how much do you pay for Cable TV? If you are getting any number of channels I bet you are paying at lot more than $30 a month.

etichi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Wouldn't it be consistent on these forums to be in support of saving money. Considering how much bitching goes on about how much a Mac is then to turn around and say "hmmmfff. I'll just pay more for cable" sounds completely 100% inconsistent.

kri77777

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I'd go for it if it wasn't through iTunes.

I watch Hulu on a regular basis and having complete access to all TV episodes, commercial free, and on demand sounds good to me. However, I don't want it tied to specific devices or software. For example, I'd like to have access to it in the same manner as netflix as started going (PS3, xBox, and PC).

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jblack[/nom]And how much do you pay for Cable TV? If you are getting any number of channels I bet you are paying at lot more than $30 a month.[/citation]He may be paying more, but with a Tuner card in hand and good DVR software he gets everything this provides on top of the extra channels and programming you wont see on the service, like every sport program. If he has cable he probably already has on demand movies too.

With services like Netflix, Hulu (still free as of this comment), and good old pirating I think $30 is way to steep.

Does Apple even offer a good HTPC solution (with fully supported HDMI and around $400)?

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]podsix[/nom]Typically I'd agree with you to some extent, however, I just can't see myself sitting at a desk or huddled around a laptop to watch TV. I don't know, maybe there's an entire market out there that I'm completely missing but I'd rather take the couch over an office chair. Just my opinion.[/citation]

Count me in for the market that you're missing. No TV, watches shows on his desktop while sitting in an office chair (a very nice office chair).

However, I also wouldn't be interested. Most of what I want to see is available without a subscription fee.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
TV subscription - depends on what channels and whether it's live or click to watch service.
Click to watch is nice but sometimes you just want some live TV.
If it is click to watch and unlimited TV shows without commericals and they include some movies.
That might convince me to cancel cable TV...
Also it would NEED to include certain shows if it's click to watch.
Otherwise if it's live I would need certain channels. But I think $30 a month is cheaper than my wife and I pay...

magnus962

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Services like this offer options to people who live certain ways. I, for example, do not own a TV and do not plan to own a TV anytime soon. Any "news" I want to catch up on I can through a paper or through online new sites. Any shows I want to see can generally be found between the show's parent website or hulu or Netflix. Almost everything can be found without the need to dump massive sums of money into a full cable package bill (Although I can understand people who do).

A service like this from apple would add yet another option to watch/download shows in a quick manner. Hopefully the service would be open to any amount of shows you want for $30, but I tend to doubt it. If they offer the right kind of shows that I want to watch and enough of them, then I would consider it worth the cost. But if it at any point gets cheaper for me to buy a crappy TV and the local cable package, then it isnt worth my time.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Details are scant, so there's no word on whether this will be an "all you can eat" type service or if Apple will impose some sort of restriction.

This is Apple we are talking about. Have they ever done ANYTHING without some sort of restriction?

Anyway, This wouldn't interest me in the least. I'm trying my best to rid my computer of iTunes as it is.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmm.... if $30/month will let me watch all TV shows (on itune) on my computers and itouch anytime I want (w/ HD quality will be even better).....

I will think about it...

Other than that.... hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.