Report: Apple Slashes Orders for iPad Parts by 25%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Nah, they just realized that not all people that buy the iPads are Mac-zealots... There's also common-sense imbued people that won't buy the 3rd in a glimpse.

If they saturate the market, that's gonna play against them badly.

Cheers!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I've read on other tech sites that it is likely because Amazon's $250 tablet will be unveiled soon. Anyway you slice it, it'd be hard for Apple to keep up with a comparable tablet that's half the price.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Actually, I have seen a lot of ipads at Best Buy and Target lately, this could just be a correction to having too many in the market currently...

G

Maybe slowing down on iPad2 parts to get stock level down for iPad3 release Q2 2012.
And for Yuka. I'm a windows Guy. Iv build every computer I ever owned personally for the past 15 years. I actually hackintoshed my home built for fun and it runs better than Apple bought, running windows 8 dev preview now naturally. But when It came to a tablet and a media player, sorry I bought a iPod shuffle the best media player for jogging, and an iPad simply because of dominance and content. Just as you can be a Mac-Zealot you can be just as dumb in the other corner. I like their multimedia products. I wouldn't buy a Apple brand blender or toaster but I will but a multimedia device cause thats what they dominate at.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Can anyone explain to me how lowering production is supposed to increase demand/sales?[/citation]
I guess combined with banning all the competition?

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Has nothing to do with any of the above. It all has to do with a fraction of the market for tablets have already bought tablets due to the HP Touchpad's going clearance.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Prices are tough all over! There is no way I'm paying with my kidney for an iPad!
$200-250 is what I would pay for an iPad (with a replaceable battery of course) !

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ollieg[/nom]Apple just opened a new factory in Brazil two weeks ago. I would think by having a new factory, the old ones don't have to pump out quite so many devices...http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/09/1 [...] -december/[/citation]

Opening a new fab in Brazil will not affect the sales of parts. The majority of parts for electronics are produced in East Asia anyway.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
You can easily open up a new assembly factory everywhere in the world but it would be extremely difficult to make a new fab for electronic parts. For the first you just need cheap workers for the second you need highly skilled staff and lots of money for equipment etc.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I would agree that they've probably got enough stock built up to weather this period plus they may want to ramp down in the build up to the ipad 3 maybe even the iphone 5. Do they use the same company for components? At worse it Could also be a sign of the tablet market is slowing down tho phones4U are insisting the galaxy tab will release the first week of October. They have the playbook, Curry's is now carrying the transformer, Galaxy 7, Acer iconia (both), Sony's new tablet and another tablet that's name escapes me. Chances are they're expecting some of those tablets to eat into the pie a bit more.

j_davis_1980

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I now strongly believe Samsung has a patent infringement case up their sleeve that could possibly invoke a ban on IPad!..............

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]j_davis_1980[/nom]I now strongly believe Samsung has a patent infringement case up their sleeve that could possibly invoke a ban on IPad!..............[/citation]
Lets pray!

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Apple is using this lowering it's purchasing by 25% as a way to say to courts where they have and will have patent infringement lawsuits as a way of saying that the Galaxy Tab which violates their patents has been having a negative impact on sales... Now you and I and any other non-Mac fanboy would say that it's good competition, that people who are allowed to make a choice might actually not choose the "Apple a Day will Keep Competition Away" company. Choice is the last thing Apple wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.