Report: Apple Working on 42- and 50-inch TVs Too

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nycteris

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]Who cares; it'll be a 1000 dollars more than a regular tv because it's Apple. I'm perfectly alright with my $750 Vizio LCD 1080i TV I bought back 6 years ago[/citation]
Vizio is one of the cheapest TV manufacturers; any comparable TV made by Samsung/Sony/LG is $1000 more expensive.

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
dont you mean apple is accepting bids from real tv manufacturers to create their own overpriced tv which they dont even actually build or make?

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Forget being able to pay for a la carte channels, how about making all broadcasting free, since we're forced to watch advertising anyways? If we pay for the channels/shows, they should be ad-free. Broadcasters would not LOSE money doing this, they would just have LESS PROFIT. Why the consumer has yet to demand this is beyond me.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
1999.99 for the 42 inch
2999.99 for the 50 inch
50 inch includes a picture of the worker who committed suicide after making your tv!

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Holy cow man, I can only imagine how much (cr)Apple will charge for a TV.

Apple Fanbois, get out your wallets, pull down your pants, bend over, and SMILE.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I would never buy TV ala carte, it's not like music at all. I don't plan that far in advance, while I repeat music listening , I do not repeat TV watching. It's a dumb model I promise you and an epic failure, as far as content access, I prefer just large bundles because I can then scan through them. And if I scanning I go oh ... let me watch this show, and then I pay to watch it, I feel like i'm being nickled and dimed. it actually would irritate me completely.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
To be honest, I will prefer Apple to put all the stuffs they are talking about into the Apple TV hockey pod and let everybody to chose whatever TV they like.
From a marketing point of view, people will more likely to buy it as an upgrade of their TVs for $99 or even a little more... instead of spending $2-3k on an Apple version of "smart TV"

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I figure that the only reason there's so much CRAP on TV is because all the stations are being paid a baseline rate by all Cable/Satellite companies (The variable is the advertising revenue, based on a show's ratings). If consumers were given an 'a la carte' deal, stations would have to put out a lot more quality shows to draw subscribers. This scares them, and they're really comfortable in their current-but-outdated business model.

Of the population of [Broadcast companies] and [me], one of us is completely naive to the burgeoning market of highly selective and available media content.

Will TV show actors still be able to draw millions of dollars for their work if more detailed information than ever about which shows are popular (based on active streams) is made more available? Is Nielsen made obsolete with IPTV?

There are fewer than 10 channels that I regularly watch. Some are only available in the "large package" which forces me to buy access to 20 - 50 more channels that I will not watch. What a waste of money! I would much rather spend $35 to $50 for the channels I want than $80 for all the channels in the world.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Sounds interesting, but consuming anything Apple is immoral and a blatant violation of the promotion of open standards and consumer freedom.[/citation]

Well lets be honest.... Samsung don't use Android because of its 'open standards and consumer freedom' - they use it because it's free, or far cheaper than them trying to develop their own.

Similarly - Google only made it free and open source because they infringed on so many patents during the development.

In both cases, the companies are clearly motivated by nothing 'moral' or anything which makes them 'nicer' - just money like any other company.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]Why would anyone want an overpriced China made TV?[/citation]

You don't know the price yet.

And I assume made in China for the same reason people who buy Samsung TV's like Korean made TV's.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]willwayne[/nom]I figure that the only reason there's so much CRAP on TV is because all the stations are being paid a baseline rate by all Cable/Satellite companies (The variable is the advertising revenue, based on a show's ratings). If consumers were given an 'a la carte' deal, stations would have to put out a lot more quality shows to draw subscribers. This scares them, and they're really comfortable in their current-but-outdated business model.Of the population of [Broadcast companies] and [me], one of us is completely naive to the burgeoning market of highly selective and available media content.Will TV show actors still be able to draw millions of dollars for their work if more detailed information than ever about which shows are popular (based on active streams) is made more available? Is Nielsen made obsolete with IPTV?There are fewer than 10 channels that I regularly watch. Some are only available in the "large package" which forces me to buy access to 20 - 50 more channels that I will not watch. What a waste of money! I would much rather spend $35 to $50 for the channels I want than $80 for all the channels in the world.[/citation]

Couldn't agree more.

At least the film industry is self regulating - if people don't watch it they lose millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.