Report: Apple Working on Tablet-Laptop Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
How can they patent this idea if it is already available in every other Windows tablet? Unless they are just patenting that sliding feature... But even then, that design looks awful! It accomplishes the exact same thing as a pivoting screen, but it doesn't allow easy pivoting of the screen to show other people something, and it leaves a giant, unnecessary edge on the each side of the keyboard.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
...... didnt microsoft and a bunch of tablet makers do this like years ago?? How about making a macbookpro specs in tablet form.... now that hasn't been done on any PC tablet yet.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]How can they patent this idea if it is already available in every other Windows tablet? Unless they are just patenting that sliding feature... But even then, that design looks awful! It accomplishes the exact same thing as a pivoting screen, but it doesn't allow easy pivoting of the screen to show other people something, and it leaves a giant, unnecessary edge on the each side of the keyboard.[/citation]

While I do agree that design is not very appearing, this design has not been seen in Windows tablet yet. As far as I know, this design onlhy has been seen on mobile phones.

Just like why nobody put the anntana outside of their phone.. maybe there is a reason why nobody else is making tablet in that way...;)

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
cool, I really like the tablet-PC formfactor (yes, thats right, its been around for years... apple didn't just invent it)

but I want like a 'netbook' one. like all the HP ones and stuff are like full laptops, and they are fairly big and expensive (by netbook standards)

I want one that is basically the size and weight of an Ipad, but is a tablet PC, also want it to be cheap, like $400, $500 - it doesn't have to have uber specs.

this is definitely an interesting take on the tablet PC idea (as opposed to the usual swivel hinge) I imagine this would be more sturdy?

so yeah, this looks right up my ally! as long as I can put windows on it!

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]...... didnt microsoft and a bunch of tablet makers do this like years ago?? How about making a macbookpro specs in tablet form.... now that hasn't been done on any PC tablet yet.[/citation]

Um, yes it has and I have one. HP EliteBook 2730 (older model) C2Duo 2.13GHz 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD 12 hrs battery life, convertable tablet. I thik the 2740 has a Core i5 option as well as both pen and touch screen.

I bought my HP as a refub for $1,100. Little bigger than a netbook, just as powerful as a desktop. Runs windows 7 x64 just fine. :)

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Gah, Jobs will do anything to not make a "netbook' but all he seems to be ending up with is a freakin' NETBOOK!

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I do not see Apple releasing this. I do see a iPad charger/docking station with things like Charger, USB ports, Card slots and maybe even a HD. Use the already available (really nice) wireless keyboard.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC184LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTMzNzg5MDM

The new item that just released is the Magic Trackpad. It is a large laptop style track-pad. Should work great with the iPad too in a docking station that holds the iPad in a monitor position.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC380?mco=MTg1ODA3NDY

Status
Not open for further replies.