Report: Apple Working on Verizon iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'd be more excited except that I actually tried Verizon a couple of years ago with their 30 day tryout. I didn't like the phone and quit them. They still kept hitting me with bills for months after upward of $500.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Might be a little too late to Verizon, but we'll see. Android I see being the biggest competitor (Droid Anyone??).

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
[citation][nom]lunyone[/nom]Might be a little too late to Verizon, but we'll see. Android I see being the biggest competitor (Droid Anyone??).[/citation]
A very real reason why the droid is having success is because there are allot of Verizon customers who like the service but want something iphone-esque. If the iphone does manage to make it to Verizon, AND it isn't totally crippled like ALL of their other phones, then there will be a quite noticeable dip in Droid sales.

G

Working on, they should have secretly had one working. much too late....

One positive outcome. This will force V to deploy LTE sooner

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Since AT&T is not an option for us (we live in rural area, crappy AT&T reception) my wife and I have BB Storm2s and love them but I think my wife would eventually like an iPhone.

Either way its a win win and I can get my BB and she can get the iPhone and not have to worry about the AT&T hate for non-city areas.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]With a lineup of far superior Android phones, why would anyone in their right mind buy an iPhone?[/citation]

Because like all Apple products, they're trendy.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Jane,
Your information is wrong. The original report claimed that a CMDA version of the iPhone would start mass production in September, meaning that there wouldn't be two phones available in June and the CMDA one would likely not be available until late 2010/2011

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]Because like all Apple products, they're trendy.[/citation]
True, but I'm already starting to see a lot of people that aren't tech savvy or interested in technology showing an interest in purchasing Android phones, which I found surprising and awesome.

G

While I'm not an apple fan, there is no denying that apple has become extremely well established in the 3G smart phone market. With a (supposedly) better network available through Verizon, which makes up around %50 of the US market, I'm sure there are plenty of people who have been waiting for the iPhone to come to Verizon. Also, the Apple App Store is significantly larger than the one available for Android (for the time being). While I like the concept of Android phones, I can see moving to Verizon as a huge move for Apple as it would more than double their potential market penetration.

nickkb

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
The truth of the matter is that opening up the iPhone to Verizon's customer base would profit Apple not only money-wise now, but most importantly securing an installed base of iPhone users (remember, iPhone users tend to re-buy their products during refreshes). Apple is aware that Android is increasing in popularity, likely due to the drought of other smartphone options (such as the iPhone) on other networks. Securing a base of iPhone users on ALL networks ASAP would stem the flow of Android's popularity. This is purely a business decision for Apple, one they have to make to maintain their market cap. For me, since I dislike locked-down devices and closed products, I'll stick with my Android.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]Because like all Apple products, they're trendy.[/citation]
And they make you immune to all STDs

Status
Not open for further replies.