Report: Chinese Prisoners Turned to Gold Farmers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]tommysch[/nom]Its called WW3. We will never pay that debt and never intended to do so.[/citation]

I think you are correct. This whole situation though was the direct result of the global elite (especially US gov't members and US corps) encouraging trade with china. They are criminals, they VIOLATED Constitutional laws regarding the regulation of US trade, and now the ordinary US citizen, and the entire health of the nation is paying for this dearly.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]valpanig[/nom]I try not to buy chinese products, last time i envested 30$ in two beautiful USA made pipe wrenches. Could not be happier. Next thing, what do you know...those blody illigals took my job ![/citation]
They might be "illigals" but it's better than being illiterate...

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]You have got to be kidding me. Ever heard of things like labor unions or minimum wage laws? Ever heard of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) or Equal Opportunity Act? Next time you do a facepalm, put a book into your hand first and maybe it will knock some sense into you.[/citation]
I guess you aren't aware that there are companies that hire illegal aliens for a lot of manual labor jobs. The company rakes in the profit because they don't have to pay minimum wage or workers compensation.

Books don't tell the whole story.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]that's what prison is for...they get free food and a place to sleep....what are they complaining about?[/citation]You do realize that Chinese Prisons aren't necessarily filled with conventional criminals, right? Do you think political prisoners should be forced to break rocks by day and farm gold at night? What more do they want? My guess is freedom?

G

"China's rise" has more to do with the crooked trade agreements they get away with more-so than any individual person. I've worked years with Chinese corporations, we need to get their US based market under control.

I love how many Chinese related anti-dumping investigations get suspended for little or no reason. *sarcasm*

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]tommysch[/nom]Our best hope is to spark a civil war and hope that it keeps on going for as long as possible. They would easily fall in a cycle of mass starvation.[/citation]China's not a threat. So what if the dollar gets weaker in comparison to stronger other currencies. If the world's economy strengthens, it helps everyone in the long run. Think about where we'd be if China couldn't afford to loan the governments of the world money--our economies may have totally collapsed.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
It seems the remainder of the chinese prisoners who arn't playing MMO's for guards profit are posting adverts continually on Toms advertising fake ripoff clothing and watches.

cheney_shue

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
It's incredible. The monthly income is 1,000-3,000RMB in cities of north-east China. The prisoners usually don't have good education and aren't smart. If a prisoner can earn 5,000-6,000rmb per day, every Chinese should play online game instead of geting a normal job.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
LOL. 53 comments and no one mentions the idiot WoW players who are paying for this imaginary gold. Someone is making $700 a day off of imaginary gold, and someone else is paying it! there are a LOT of people who are completely out of touch with reality.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Don't blame China for the irresponsible US citizens. What do you think will happen when you want to have the newest and shiniest stuff at rock bottom prices? Companies deliver what consumers want, and if consumers want cheap, companies go to China.[/citation]

I try to get my cheap goods from Japan or Korea. Quality is better, come to think of it, its not cheap. Get what you pay for eh?

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]abel2[/nom]I think everyone is missing the key sentence here.. WoW is raking in over a billion rl USD for people by selling virtual gold in an mmorpg. What the hell is wrong with this world when we are buying fake money in a fake world to buy fake stuff in order to accessorize our fake lives?[/citation]
Eh, people do what they want to do... I don't think there is any catalyst for calling people's lives fake. By the way, the article does not state that the virtual money of World of Warcraft was the only virtual currency sold. It's all of the MMOs put together. Inclusive of the Asian ones which are only in Korean, or Mandarin, or Cantonese; basically no one in the Western world knows about those ones, or even takes them into consideration. Also, lets please take into consideration that World of Warcraft by itself, generates... give me a second while I do the math... 13 million multiplied by 15 bucks a month plus the 120 bucks the game costs equals $1560000000 in initial charges of the game, but the 13 million are active players, so its probably more around 2 billion. In addition to the nearly 200 million a month in monthly charges.

The moral of the story is: 1 billion a year isn't that large. Its just concentrated.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]China's not a threat. So what if the dollar gets weaker in comparison to stronger other currencies. If the world's economy strengthens, it helps everyone in the long run. Think about where we'd be if China couldn't afford to loan the governments of the world money--our economies may have totally collapsed.[/citation]
China doesn't have a choice but to loan the money out. Their economy is dependent on the American's. Its sorta a funny situation because China is primarily wealthy because citizens of the United States, on US soil buy imported goods which are manufactured in China. The USA is China's primary supplier of wealth, and thus all their money, their currency is diluted by that of the American dollar, making China's native currency virtually worthless. So by loaning US dollars to the US they are participating in an unforgiving circle in which the end result will certainly be other currencies becoming more prominent, or a global currency, or a currency reset. Either that or resources will be used as currency, such as the bullion.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Banning the entire Chinese populations won't obviously work. So the onus is now on the game developers to make drastic, and I mean drastic changes.

In a case I know, Jagex banned uneven trades on Runescape about 3-4 years ago that essentially killed the business. Apparently lot of people complained and left, but the game is still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.