Report: Chrome App Steals Identities, Then Creates Blogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I never use Facebook, nor have I installed any apps. My Chrome's javascript randomly stopped working. I decided to check my addons and found the Malicious app installed, but I didn't install it from the store.

G

"the company doesn't identify the app by name". Just buy BitDefender. We'll protect you.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]I never use Facebook, nor have I installed any apps. My Chrome's javascript randomly stopped working. I decided to check my addons and found the Malicious app installed, but I didn't install it from the store.[/citation]

Two weeks ago, my laptop acted funny until AVG Free detected two java exploits.

It later turned out my school's website was hacked.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]so much for chrome being the safest browser.....FAIL[/citation]

No software is ever secure. At least Google is trying, unlike...

-MS with their IE6 (still commonly used)

-Apple and its iOS (remember the malware incidents?)

-Citibank losing 200,000 accounts to a URL exploit (Change the URL's last few numbers, enter into a random account. Now toss in a random number generator and hilarity ensues: http://consumerist.com/2011/06/14/how-hackers-stole-200000-citi-accounts-by-exploiting-basic-browser-vulnerability/ )

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Google seriously needs to tackle the security breaches on their platform.[/citation]
Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

This is not a security hole in Chrome, it's a malicious app that people are downloading. If Google were to audit these apps, it would become like Apple and its iStuff, which is a loss for everybody. The point is that you can always install any app you want, and are not restricted to only ones approved by some company. Freedom has its costs. If you aren't intelligent enough for freedom, buy a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.