Report: iPhone 5 a Dual-Mode CDMA/GSM World Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Dual-mode doesn't matter if there is no reception by grip of death."

Also a feature.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Wow Wow Wow Pyree!!! Some people just cannot drop something that has happened over a year ago!

Time for you to get out from under that rock you live in.

While it is true we do not know what NEW problems will be present with the new iPhone, these problems seem to pale in comparison to other phone systems.

How about we just wait and see what the new iPhone is all about.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
While it is true we do not know what NEW problems will be present with the new iPhone, these problems seem to pale in comparison to other phone systems.

If it has no signal it might as well not be a phone, what problem makes that pale i don't want to know, maybe it's when they make you into a human cent-i-Pad lol

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I hate apple, I know the iphone anything is like 2 hardware generations behind, won't have NFC, 4g speed, or any feature that actually matters to a new phone coming out. And yet, I still want this garbage, why. I wish windows would make a sleek sezy phone for windows 8, so, I can ditch these frauds.

G

@Plasmastorm

and thats where your wrong, the iPhone is a fashion accessory first and foremost, then a web browsing device, after which it can be considered a GPS device, somewhere near the bottom of the list is phone..... and i will qualify this further with the fact that the iPhone voice quality and clarity is below average at the best of times

DonnieK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
This is great. If Apple is indeed trying to make a more widely usable iPhone, with even slightly updated hardware, it pushes everyone in the industry to design and market better devices. The point about being 2 hardware generations behind (acadia11) is an interesting one, but I think iPhone sales reveal that consumers really don't care about the hardware specs if the overall experience is better. Are Apple consumers justified in their preferences for buying a better phone with inferior hardware? Hard to say, but the competitive effect on the other players in the industry is good for everyone.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
It doesn't really matter if the hardware is inferior spec wise, it's all about the user experience and reputation it gets. Look at consoles, easily the worst console hardware was the Wii, the PS3 and 360 murdered it in that department, but which console won, by far?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]DonnieK[/nom]This is great. If Apple is indeed trying to make a more widely usable iPhone, with even slightly updated hardware, it pushes everyone in the industry to design and market better devices. The point about being 2 hardware generations behind (acadia11) is an interesting one, but I think iPhone sales reveal that consumers really don't care about the hardware specs if the overall experience is better. Are Apple consumers justified in their preferences for buying a better phone with inferior hardware? Hard to say, but the competitive effect on the other players in the industry is good for everyone.[/citation]

It's not that ehe experience is better, it's simply, they have a great marketing machine. Think about it, it doesn't have Java , doesn't have flash, both which are ubiquitous to the internet experience. It can't even do that part right. What it is , is a sleek, looking, well marketed device.

That's about it. What it does, it does well, but it does so little in comparison to competitors. Like I said, I still bought one. But, the minute windows 8 comes out, I'm dropping my ipad in favor of windows 8 tablet, and then if someone is smart enough to make a sezy phone, the iphone is next. Personally, as I stated all alone once windows get it's OS right, it's going to dominate apple , just like they did with the PC, because Apple is not open, and eventually it can't convince people to buy it's outdated and overpriced hardware. It just hasn't faced a competitor with as much muscle, the app store, will give way to Windows much more extensive library, and people will have the computing power of their pc in their hands.

Especially, in that hardware in the mobile space is getting to the point, where it can run full fledged apps. Hardware will become much more important, and this is when we will see the shift away from apples toy OS and shiny product.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]I hate apple, I know the iphone anything is like 2 hardware generations behind, won't have NFC, 4g speed, or any feature that actually matters to a new phone coming out. And yet, I still want this garbage, why. I wish windows would make a sleek sezy phone for windows 8, so, I can ditch these frauds.[/citation]

2 hardware generations behind? You know the iPhone5 will have the same CPU/GPU hardware as the iPad2, right? According to Toms own benchmarks, its at least on par with the current Tegra2 hardware CPU wise, but GPU wise it blows the Tegra2 away... So the iPad2 has the most powerful hardware package you can currently buy.. Which will also be on sale in the form of the iPhone5 in October.. Until Kal-El hardware is on the market, anything Tegra2 based will be a generation behind both the iPad2 and iPhone5.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
dual-mode isn't worth crap to me if it's still software-locked and restricted to only two providers. Apple is obviously colluding with AT&T and Verizon. The unlocked iPhone should be the only iPhone.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sweatlaserxp[/nom]dual-mode isn't worth crap to me if it's still software-locked and restricted to only two providers. Apple is obviously colluding with AT&T and Verizon. The unlocked iPhone should be the only iPhone.[/citation]

Unlocked means you pay the full price $699 or $599...

Which Android phones are unlocked from providers? I suspect you'd have to pay the full price if they sell them unlocked from the provider.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Wow Wow Wow Pyree!!! Some people just cannot drop something that has happened over a year ago!Time for you to get out from under that rock you live in. While it is true we do not know what NEW problems will be present with the new iPhone, these problems seem to pale in comparison to other phone systems. How about we just wait and see what the new iPhone is all about.[/citation]
I don't know why everyone kicked up a stink over that. I can only make the signal drop one bar whilst holding mine in the "Death Grip" I live in Rural Australia and the reception is great for me. Haven't ever dropped a call. I've had the phone since Day One and haven't had a problem with it.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Unlocked means you pay the full price $699 or $599...Which Android phones are unlocked from providers? I suspect you'd have to pay the full price if they sell them unlocked from the provider.[/citation]

It's not about whether you pay full price or whether you get a subsidized price with a contract. They should still give you an unlocked phone. Of course with Verizon it doesn't matter anyway because they're CDMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.