Report: iPhone 5 Release Could be Moved to 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncamara

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
With a probable fall iPad3 release, this makes sense. Apple can concentrate on hardware improvements for the iPad, and then release the new iPhone 5 in the spring, spacing out their two major products to spring and fall of each year.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Oh yay I get to fap even more about how all the iStuff is so outdated 'n all.

Anyways it might be me but for as far as im concerned this does not surprise me, as there is still this feeling of 'iFone 4 has just been released' going around, even though its already about a year on the market... strange.

Anyways I hate apple, so it's all good. Doesn't bother me one bit that they decide to lag behind.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Oh yay I get to fap even more about how all the iStuff is so outdated 'n all.Anyways it might be me but for as far as im concerned this does not surprise me, as there is still this feeling of 'iFone 4 has just been released' going around, even though its already about a year on the market... strange.Anyways I hate apple, so it's all good. Doesn't bother me one bit that they decide to lag behind.[/citation]

It should bother you because whether you like Apple or not competition is good. I am sure that whatever products you use compete with Apple so the more Apple competes the better it is for everyone else.

pita

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Remember PS2 outselling xbox and NGC despite being the weakest in hardware? Its the platform support that really counts. So fXck all those hardware being outdated trash talks. You can have the sickest smartphone spec but installed with WinMo6.5. It would do no good. Hardware can only take you so far as being able to run the OS and apps smoothly, but rest is how well the platform is able to provide pleasant user experiences. If you think Android is better than iOS in that department, so be it, but Android's main selling point sure isn't just about able how fast the hardware it can be runing on.

Above being said. there certainly still life in iPhone 4 before Apple feel the NEED to be the leader in the hardware category again.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Steve Handjobs iWall 4, excuse me, I mean iPhone 4 is great phone if you like having the smallest screen of 3.5 inches, no 4g which has been out for 6 months, no Flash, no HDMI port, no widgets, or toggle switches, expensive apps, phone is not ergonomic like the 3gs was, crappy itunes which you can only sync with one computer, and lastly lets not forget the crappy antenna issues. So if you are into old technology the iPhone 4 is a great choice until Spring 2012 when they update the phone.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Steve Handjobs iWall 4, excuse me, I mean iPhone 4 is great phone if you like having the smallest screen of 3.5 inches, no 4g which has been out for 6 months, no Flash, no HDMI port, no widgets, or toggle switches, expensive apps, phone is not ergonomic like the 3gs was, crappy itunes which you can only sync with one computer, and lastly lets not forget the crappy antenna issues. So if you are into old technology the iPhone 4 is a great choice until Spring 2012 when they update the phone.[/citation]
fanboy cry much? seriously, why does apple's existence make so many people butthurt. it;s good competition, and it's smart marketing. they just released the iphone 4 on verizon, and gained a lot of potential customers, even if they aren't tech savvy and just want it because it looks pretty. as a company, they are a success. if you have reason to dislike apple products [like most tech heads do], u shud refrain from sounding like a butthurt loser when u express urself

G

This would be the equivalent of Apple shooting themselves in the face. Not only are they ceding market share to Android by the day, if they were to delay the iPhone even by a few months (6 months would just be a catastrophe), they'd leave themselves open to new users and 3GS users (like myself) jumping onto the Google bandwagon because we don't want to "upgrade" to year old technology.

Steve Jobs isn't that stupid. We aren't in 2007 anymore. The phone market in 2011 is hyper competitive with quality phones coming out every month.

There's only two possibilities.

1. Steve understands that the iPhone 5 will need LTE support to remain competitive on Verizon through it's life cycle and he's willing to concede the initial losses in order to include the more power efficient LTE Qualcomm chips that starting production over the summer. This would guarantee the iPhone 5 will release by September with LTE support.

2. Or these rumors are fabricated in order to increase iPhone 4 sales before the summer lull.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
1. Steve understands that the iPhone 5
I would replace the word Steve with Apple, you sound like a member of the cult of Steve.

Apple is a great success, but if you look at Androids Traction you will see that the public has started to abandon their "iPhone is the greatest" mentality because they now have choice. Consumers used to pick between winmo, BB, or iphone. Hrmm which would you pick?

With every handset offing a multitude of layout's(screen sizes, keyboard designs) except the iphone, the only thing keeping its market share high is name recognition. You can see this strategy in Apple's new commercials "if you don't have an iPhone, well you don't have an iPhone." This slogan is banking on brand recognition to sell their products because there is nothing the iphone does that other phones don't do as good or better (unless playing iTunes counts)

I love that apple launched the iPhone, but you can look at every market analysts conclusions. Apple is near the top of their demographic's influence. They have slapped the big cellular players in the face and woken them up, and enlightened people to what phones can be.

Slowly but surely all those 3GS owners that got pissed about their phones turning to crap when they were forced to go to iOS4 will convert to something else, and if apple doesn't release an iphone 5 until next year, I can bet you they won't be upgrading to an iphone 4.

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
My guess is apple will release an updated iphone 4 this summer. 4g and faster cpu. It may be too soon for a new design but it easy to update a few components.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ncamara[/nom]With a probable fall iPad3 release, this makes sense. Apple can concentrate on hardware improvements for the iPad, and then release the new iPhone 5 in the spring, spacing out their two major products to spring and fall of each year.[/citation]

wouldn't make much sense to release iPad 3 this soon unless the iPad 3 was a higher or lower end model and is not meant to replace iPad 2. (like the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4)
If I was in charge of Apple, I would leave iPad 2 in the market till after christmas and release iPad 3 early in 2012.

Releasing an iPad shortly before christmas would create even bigger supply problems than the iPad 2 has right now.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
As a 3GS user, I will be pissed off if the next variant isn't released before the end of this year.

I could have upgraded 2 months ago, but chose to wait until late summer/early fall.. might not be waiting much longer if this 2012 release turns out to be true..

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]fanboy cry much? seriously, why does apple's existence make so many people butthurt. it;s good competition, and it's smart marketing. they just released the iphone 4 on verizon, and gained a lot of potential customers, even if they aren't tech savvy and just want it because it looks pretty. as a company, they are a success. if you have reason to dislike apple products [like most tech heads do], u shud refrain from sounding like a butthurt loser when u express urself[/citation]
LOL, another apple fan boy trying to stand up for the iPhone, but has no relevant facts to back it up. What a lame attempt to to try and attack me instead. You should refrain from using incorrect spelling and grammar sounding out at me like a loser when you express yourself.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jimsocks[/nom]Guess no 4g for 2011[/citation]
from what i have read the iphone 4 can do 4g.....but the carrier will have to enable this function, or it can be done by apple

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]LOL, another apple fan boy trying to stand up for the iPhone, but has no relevant facts to back it up. What a lame attempt to to try and attack me instead. You should refrain from using incorrect spelling and grammar sounding out at me like a loser when you express yourself.[/citation]
Relevant facts? Your original post has both factual and grammatical errors. So who looks like the fool now?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ncamara[/nom]With a probable fall iPad3 release, this makes sense. Apple can concentrate on hardware improvements for the iPad, and then release the new iPhone 5 in the spring, spacing out their two major products to spring and fall of each year.[/citation]

Actually manufacturers close to Apple have already said that an iPad 3 release in 2011 is highly improbable. Apple is rumoured to be trying to align all it's mobile i devices to one release date, perhaps this shuffle around is indicative of a new period of the year where they will launch from.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]LOL, another apple fan boy trying to stand up for the iPhone, but has no relevant facts to back it up. What a lame attempt to to try and attack me instead. You should refrain from using incorrect spelling and grammar sounding out at me like a loser when you express yourself.[/citation]
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I love you!! (in a non gay way)

Status
Not open for further replies.