Report: iPhone 5 to Have Curved Glass Screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Does THG get paid by Apple to publish these articles ?
I mean seriously, who gives a rat's pattuti about what kind of glass the next piece of iCrap has?
What about the battery? Will it be available in pink or Formosa green?

I can't wait to find out... :)
javascript:%20void(0);

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]LOL at all the idiot haters out in full force again.Need I remind you.... And Apple still sells record numbers and rakes in billions. [/citation]

Remember VHS ?
Inferior to Beta or Video2000; and still it 'won' and sold billions.
Just because something sells well to the -generally uneducated- public does not make it technically superior (Windows 95/98/ME/Vista anyone?).

Apple is great at hype and style, they where already back in the 70s when I was programming video games for the C64 and the technically superior TI99. But don't tell me their stuff is more advanced than any of the other electronic stuff out there.
I run a small IT company giving some 20 families a paycheck and guess what, I don't even use a 'smart' phone. I don't need to watch TV or Video on my phone, read emails or 'tweets'.

The iPAD is not a 'productive' device, it is a consumption device; perfect for people with too much money and no time for a real social life. Not Apple's fault, just a sign of the time; like reality TV, Jerry Springer and Facebook.

Now can we go back to some real reviews instead ?

abowlofsoda

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I left the iPhone when the 4 was coming out and headed to the Android world. I was sick and tired of AT&T and their dropped calls.

Since then iPhone has released on Verizon. If I wasn't locked into a 2 year contract and was able to get the upgrade price- I sure as hell would switch back. Android is all about customizing the look of your phone and not much else. The apps suck, the thing fucking lags like a mofo, the battery life is rediculously short, etc.
Iphone was well built hardware wise also.

I'm no Apple fanboy or any kind of fanboy really.. I just like what I like when I like it. I think for myself and always research before a purchase.

I could care less who runs what company. I do however know that they build cell phones and this is a tech site reporting on tech news. I think the youngins these days cry too much on the internet but whatever- the world is going to shit whether I like it or not.

Good day. (or whatever stupid fucking meme you end a comment with these days)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]abowlofsoda[/nom]I left the iPhone when the 4 was coming out and headed to the Android world...
(or whatever stupid fucking meme you end a comment with these days)[/citation]

Well said... !

P.S.
If the 'meme' was about the "javascript:%20void(0);" at the end of my post.... it's not mine; it was added somehow to the post; prob. a minor bug in the site's code.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]thomasjm52[/nom]I have yet to see a phone do text like the iphone. The layout is perfect. What are all you guys doing with your phones to need duel cores in them. Put your phone down and Enjoy the world around you! I let intel and nvidia do all my games and surfing the net. Why would you want to do that on a 4 inch screen? Whats next bitchen cause it dosnt have quad core....[/citation]

Try surfing the web and swyping on a 4.3 inch screen for a week, then go back to your itty bitty inferior phone, I mean iPhone and then try it. It is so funny hearing apple fanboys saying ther eis no reason for a bigger screen. You can watch TV and play games on a 30 inch TV fine. But you enjoy the expierence ten times better on a 50 TV. So then why would you want a small screen when surfing the web or daily phone use when 4.3 screens are available.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Social life? What do you call people using smart phones and other devices to access facebook, World or Warcraft, etc...

The iPad is not a cause or different from anything else? The iPad is a tool or a toy, depending on your needs. There is some productivity on an iPad, but that is not what its designed for. Its kind of like asking your car stereo to have the ability to create music or run a radio station.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]@ ericburnbyI see the only thing positive about Apple that you point out is the record sells. So what exactly do you like about the iPhone? Seems the "idiot haters" weren't far off.[/citation]
Here is the problem with saying anything about the iPhone beyond sales friend.. I can say anything I want about it, like its a more fluid experience, that everything works just as intended, no compatiblity issues, that the battery life is very, very solid, that the asthetic look of the phone sets itself apart from the competition, in look, feel, and whatever else I could possibly think of, but those are all just opinions. Opinions. And that alone makes it meaningless in the grand scheme of things. However, cold hard sales is a fact. You can't argue against the numbers, and when 1 phone sells that many quarter after quarter, year after year, you'd be an idiot to think that there isn't something in that phone, whether it be tangible or not, that draws people in. Despite the overwhelming number of people on this site that continually bash Apple products as over-priced, under-spec'd, or over-rated.. And insult those that purchase them as idiots, sheeple, or whatever bigoted retard variant thereof.

When it comes right down to it.. You, are wrong, and shitty people to boot. Perhaps you all didn't learn well enough from being nerds back in the day, and now feel safe in an online forum of almost nothing but nerds, and now must lash out at those who are different than the image you have for the world, technology, and everything that will follow. And with that in mind, I will continue to smile, and give ericburnby a very serious solid internet high five. And after everything I've said, still some people just won't understand.. Ever. Pity. What a waste of a good brain.

[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]@ ericburnbyLOL, FAIL. Every Apple fan stands behind the sales but not the product. When you say the iPhone 5 is coming out soon, do you mean hopefully in 5 months in the fall. By then the iPhone will be outdated with all the quad-core android phones.[/citation]
Same thing. Read above statement.
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Remember VHS ?Inferior to Beta or Video2000; and still it 'won' and sold billions.Just because something sells well to the -generally uneducated- public does not make it technically superior (Windows 95/98/ME/Vista anyone?).Apple is great at hype and style, they where already back in the 70s when I was programming video games for the C64 and the technically superior TI99. But don't tell me their stuff is more advanced than any of the other electronic stuff out there.I run a small IT company giving some 20 families a paycheck and guess what, I don't even use a 'smart' phone. I don't need to watch TV or Video on my phone, read emails or 'tweets'.The iPAD is not a 'productive' device, it is a consumption device; perfect for people with too much money and no time for a real social life. Not Apple's fault, just a sign of the time; like reality TV, Jerry Springer and Facebook.Now can we go back to some real reviews instead ?[/citation]
I'm am going to resist the urge to post a novel against your post. You have obviously missed the point. A few classes in the right areas could possibly give you better insight into why a slightly hardware inferior product would/could win out against a better one. Marketing is just one side of the coin.. Stop making it seem like it's all there is. Poor form man, poor form.

[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Try surfing the web and swyping on a 4.3 inch screen for a week, then go back to your itty bitty inferior phone, I mean iPhone and then try it. It is so funny hearing apple fanboys saying ther eis no reason for a bigger screen. You can watch TV and play games on a 30 inch TV fine. But you enjoy the expierence ten times better on a 50 TV. So then why would you want a small screen when surfing the web or daily phone use when 4.3 screens are available.[/citation]

Okay.. swype might be a much faster way of texting, but it isn't for everyone. And as for the bigger screen size.. I don't want a 4.3 inch screen phone in my pocket.. Too bloody large and uncomfortable, for me, for such a device. And as for the 30 inch < 50 inch statement.. I seem to remember people saying the same thing about an iPad.. And all the haters can't win/get upset and just scream its just a big iPod Touch. Pot... Kettle.

Some real substantial arguments against Apple, rather than childish banter, would be nice for a change..

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Apple....It's all about the marketing ...

.I wonder if that creepy French ghoul Clitaire Rapaille is behind the Apple marketing scheme?

America just proves it has a lot of clueless sheeple when it buys in to the Apple hype.

I think the term "herdlings" is appropriate for them.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Many people (like myself) know the exact differences between various phones, their underlying hardware and their software. Yet we choose to buy an iPhone over an Android. And you technonerds just can't seem to fathom this.[/citation]Being smart and "knowing the exact differences" (yeah when you've got access to Safari and Google) doesn't equate making a logical decision. That's not to say that the iPhone is a bad phone, or that iOS is a bad phone OS. But that's not really why people buy them, it's an emotional decision more than anything.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hmm... First they make both sides out of glass.... Now they're curving the glass too. It's almost like they're trying to make these things as fragile as humanly possible.

And didn't CRTs move away from curved glass to flat for a reason? The curves distort the picture. And at the very least a curved screen means you will almost always have a glare spot on the screen, no matter the angle.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]thomasjm52[/nom]I have yet to see a phone do text like the iphone. The layout is perfect.[/citation]Actually the way they handle text on the iPhone is one of the things I do not like about it at all. Other than that and a few missing features, iOS is pretty decent these days.
[citation][nom]thomasjm52[/nom]What are all you guys doing with your phones to need duel cores in them. Put your phone down and Enjoy the world around you! I let intel and nvidia do all my games and surfing the net. Why would you want to do that on a 4 inch screen? Whats next bitchen cause it dosnt have quad core....[/citation]How can you even say this? One of the big draws of iPhone is games! They made sure to have fairly powerful PowerVR graphics chips whenever they release a new iPhone. Welcome to 2011, where mobile phones are a big part of the gaming pie.

Not to mention that when Apple has quad core chips, you won't be saying this anymore.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Is Bose connected to Apple in any way?

I laugh every time I see their company tagline .......

" Better sound through marketing"---- um I meant "research" LOL

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I like the IPhone though I would not personally buy one because of the use I make of a cell phone which is based mostly on communication like phone call and e-mail etc.. For my need I prefer the BlackBerry Torch 9800 which is a good trade off and really good battery life except when you use feature like GPS etc..

There is one link that Id like to share which I think is funny but the same could be said with all type of crowd but Apple is more pronounce on that than any other brand simply because their brand is most powerful and that obviously bring more follower and not necessarily for the good reason.

http://gizmodo.com/5803356/is-fanboyism-a-religion

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]And after everything I've said, still some people just won't understand.. Ever. Pity. What a waste of a good brain.[/citation]
I think smart phones in general are a waste of a good brain. I prefer to observe the world from a distance further than a foot in front of me. You can absorb so much more information than just whats shown on a tiny screen. GPS? Don't need it. My $10 walmart map I've had for 15 years still works just fine. Some people are directionally retarded, so I'll cede the usefulness of GPS.

abowlofsoda

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
You can't argue against the numbers, and when 1 phone sells that many quarter after quarter, year after year, you'd be an idiot to think that there isn't something in that phone, whether it be tangible or not, that draws people in. Despite the overwhelming number of people on this site that continually bash Apple products as over-priced, under-spec'd, or over-rated.. And insult those that purchase them as idiots, sheeple, or whatever bigoted retard variant thereof.

+1

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Can't wait for Apple to claim they did it first ...[/citation]

This. It will be "revolutionary" just like everything else was that was done well before Apple did it.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Why not flat[/nom]Advantages over flat?[/citation]

Thats "Innovation" by Apple for ya. Well for 97% of the people that will be buying it at least.
Also helps you hold it right due to the curves.

chfireball

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Remember VHS ?Inferior to Beta or Video2000; and still it 'won' and sold billions.Just because something sells well to the -generally uneducated- public does not make it technically superior (Windows 95/98/ME/Vista anyone?).Apple is great at hype and style, they where already back in the 70s when I was programming video games for the C64 and the technically superior TI99. But don't tell me their stuff is more advanced than any of the other electronic stuff out there.I run a small IT company giving some 20 families a paycheck and guess what, I don't even use a 'smart' phone. I don't need to watch TV or Video on my phone, read emails or 'tweets'.The iPAD is not a 'productive' device, it is a consumption device; perfect for people with too much money and no time for a real social life. Not Apple's fault, just a sign of the time; like reality TV, Jerry Springer and Facebook.Now can we go back to some real reviews instead ?[/citation]

lol how much junk can you make up?
you were programing on the 64 in the 70's? that computer did not come out until January 1982.
the " superior TI99 " that pos? you need to grow up.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]chfireball[/nom]lol how much junk can you make up? you were programing on the 64 in the 70's? that computer did not come out until January 1982.the " superior TI99 " that pos? you need to grow up.[/citation]
Well said +1

Status
Not open for further replies.