Report: MSFT Should Separate Xbox Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Isn't google the biggest player in cloud computing or even onlive? They're the only companies that try to explain and heavily push the concept to Joe bloggs. I can see the benefit of spinning off their entertainment division but look at DX11, it benefited from basic tesselation methods attempted on the 360. Not only that microsoft seem to use each division to learn lessons on what the people want and offer successful features in other products. Windows meadia center will certainly benefit from xbox's dashboard and new control methods such as Natal could eventually make their way to PC for other reasons than gaming.

G

This report just in: Microsoft should separate from Ballmer...

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Shocking... an 'investment firm' (read w b ankers) want to break up a company, these guys use money to make money, they do not create software or hardware or ANYTHING. Why would anyone listen to these people? Go and get a real job, or at least stop publicly voicing your opinions to line your own pockets.

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]meh102[/nom]This report just in: Microsoft should separate from Ballmer...[/citation]

Why? Is he really doing a bad job?

Doesn't seem that was to me.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I feel we’re ahead of whoever the closest second rival is. -Ballmer

Translation: I clearly have no idea who the competition is, and thereby no clue where they are with regard to their products. I'll just be content to assume we're winning like we did when Billy was here.

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]meh102[/nom]This report just in: Microsoft should separate from Ballmer...[/citation]

I think Ballmer has been successful at microsoft. sure there were miss steps, (windows mobile, Vista) but dont forget his successes (Windows XP, Xbox 360) the one thing Balmer does well is learn from mistake. when Vista failed, they over looked all the other segments in order to focas on their core products (Windows and Office). now that Win7 is our and doing very well, I expect Microsoft to go after all the other areas they have neglected over the last 3 years. I expect they will focus on tablets, phones, and content delivery (like itunes, and ebooks, Phone apps) I would also expect a new Zune or even a new Xbox in the next year or so.

I dont trust compaies like Goldman Sachs. if it wasnt for the tax payers all these a-holes would be unemployeed like the rest of the other 9-14% (depending on where you live) of america. it is just them trying to line thier pockets again at the expense of stock holders.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
There is just too much overlap to completely split the company. There must be a lot of common code between Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7 for example.

Perhaps they could benefit from changing their corporate structure to give the Entertainment division more autonomy, but a full split just doesn't seem possible to me.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
So XBoxlive is a major participant in the "large screen" of Microsoft's "three screens" vision of the cloud.

So goldman on one hand is saying "spin off part of your cloud strategy" and on the other hand is saying "get in the cloud"

This just shows me they are utterly clueless (at best). Goldman wants the stock price to go up of course but Microsoft is in the middle of a huge buyback and is quite content with their share price.

Further more Microsoft IS in the cloud. Google Apps has 8million users. Microsoft's Live@edu has 11million just in the educational sector. In the commercial sector BPOS is not only outrunning Google they are stealing back the few wins that Google has landed.

Whatever. Microsoft is making Brinks trucks full of money each and every quarter and paying a handsome dividend.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
All I'm going to ask is this: Why would anyone listen to Goldman Sachs after they were part of the biggest economic disaster since the Great Depression?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I know who I would trust on my investment advice. Goldman Sachs. They only need billions in bailouts to operate and sucker most people who do business with them into bad investments so a few in the company can profit.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
It might be a good idea. If you are able to separate the Xbox from the corporate structure, it could flourish further because video gaming is a mix between a software company and an entertainment company. This is something the rest of Microsoft simply is not.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
XBOX's historic success?! XBOX 1 lost 3 BILLION DOLLARS and never generated ONE OUNCE of PROFIT. MS just wanted to see if they can make their way into the VG sector. at a massive price, they did.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]It might be a good idea. If you are able to separate the Xbox from the corporate structure, it could flourish further because video gaming is a mix between a software company and an entertainment company. This is something the rest of Microsoft simply is not.[/citation]

If you were to separate Xbox from the rest of Microsoft then you would not have Messenger integration, Zune integration, Media Center extenders and most importantly Kinect. Kinect would not exist without the Microsoft R&D divisions.

No, this is a *terrible* idea suggested by a bean counter who does not understand technology.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]XBOX's historic success?! XBOX 1 lost 3 BILLION DOLLARS and never generated ONE OUNCE of PROFIT. MS just wanted to see if they can make their way into the VG sector. at a massive price, they did.[/citation]

Yet here they are now raking in 1.1 billion each and every year on XBL. That is not even counting Xbox sales, brick and mortar game sales, XBL game sales, and DLC. If they had the short sigtedness that you and this GS analyist they would have canceled while still in the red.

Status
Not open for further replies.