Report: RIM to Cut Thousands of Jobs This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
t's safe to say Research In Motion has had a tough couple of years,

More like couple of quarters. Even as of 2009 or 2010 they commanded a large share of smartphone industry.

Either way, job cuts are not out of the norm for any company. IBM regularly disposes of its unproductive work force.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
...reading this on my playbook... God, I don't want to see this company go. People are so caught up on mass marketed toys that they have failed to realize how good of a company rim really is.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I really liked the BB I had a year ago... I love my new android smartphone and I'd hate to go back to a BB. They should have innovated while they still had market share and customer loyalty...

G

"Thanks for working on BlackBerry 10, you still have a job.... those thousands of Java developers we no longer need? GOODBYE!"

Making idiotic comments without understanding the restructuring the company needs doesn't get you anywhere.

Layoffs will happen, and at the same time hiring in other departments will continue. Wow what a novel concept... cut the fat and build the muscle.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I've said it many times already since last year....RIM is gonna RIP. They've been outed from corporate market by iPhone and can't compete in the consumer market with Android. I think they should just sell to Google.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
RIM. While I hate to see anyone that wants to work out of work I otherwise don't mind the demise of RIM. Blackberry 10? I remember someone also saying Blackbery OS 7 was going to be great. ...not so much.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Rim should also cut the salaries of these overpaid executives and invest that money in R & D while they at it.

Also am fed up of hearing how RIM is losing out to Apple. Sooner or later Apple will end up where it once was not long ago near bankruptcy before Bill Gates gave them a much needed CPR.

Without Steve Jobs Direction it won't be before long Apple will be a company without direction! Those running Apple will be short sighted and joining the new Fad of the moment.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]ashinms[/nom]...reading this on my playbook... God, I don't want to see this company go. People are so caught up on mass marketed toys that they have failed to realize how good of a company rim really is.[/citation]

I have no idea about he company. I can tell you from experience with BB for the last 5 years that I think (just me, possibly?) they are junk phones if you want to go beyond business use. I'm on a 9650 (BB Bold) right now. I also carry a Droid Charge. Both on Verizon.
In every possible, measurable way I can think if (discounting the 3G vs. 4G), the Droid is far superior. No comparison to me.
It feels like trying to compare Windows 3.11 for Workgroups to Win7 x64 with current gen parts. Both will word process, print, and play back a CD for music... but who would do that in 2012?

Get Android to use some kind of BES counterpart with level 1 notifications (paging), at a price that competes on the corporate level, world-wide compatible use, and RIM is done.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]More like couple of quarters. Even as of 2009 or 2010 they commanded a large share of smartphone industry.Either way, job cuts are not out of the norm for any company. IBM regularly disposes of its unproductive work force.[/citation]
I think it's bound to get worse. Once decision makers in companies realized they could get their company e-mail on a phone without a Blackberry server in between (and the price premium involved), they found their is no longer a need for the added cost. RIM needs to figure out how to compete with the average cell phone which is capable of everything the Blackberry is capable of and more at a lower price point. Or they need to figure out a differentiating factor. Why do companies need RIM any longer?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]john_e[/nom]Rim should also cut the salaries of these overpaid executives and invest that money in R & D while they at it. Also am fed up of hearing how RIM is losing out to Apple. Sooner or later Apple will end up where it once was not long ago near bankruptcy before Bill Gates gave them a much needed CPR.Without Steve Jobs Direction it won't be before long Apple will be a company without direction! Those running Apple will be short sighted and joining the new Fad of the moment.[/citation]You may be right. ...you may just be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.