Report: Samsung Galaxy S III Unveiling Has Been Delayed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

LOL so many apple haters here...
I like both iOS and Android competition is good.
I don't care that iOS is closed it still does what I need, in fact it does all you'll really need.
Both do essentially the same thing a typical user would need.

haters gonna hate.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
i am still waiting for a ice cream sandwich update for my Samsung Infuse 4g peace of shit before i consider buying another samsung phone

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Toms,Do you guys need an editor? I could use a job. Get a hold of me. Thanks![/citation]

*sarcasm*
I work for half the wage he's asking and I'm over reliant on spelling/grammer checks which doesn't help me any, but you save money if you hire me. I am also good at blinding following orders, if I pay attention long enough to do so. And I will do a lousy job at anything assigned, which will surely cost you more in the end. But did I mention I work for half the other guys wage which will look better for the bottom line?

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
" I hope you're in business or go into it because we love making fun of idiots like you."

Who is the "we" that you are talking about? You mean the iCrappies? Sorry, but that "we"
has shown an utter lack of understanding of what real technology is.
Write it:
If iTrash keeps promoting locked-down drm infested standards at astronomical prices, and keeps litigating and stealing rather than inovating, its days are counted.

G

It's probably because they are coming with its own quad core A15/Exynos 5250 package. If they went with quad A9/Exynos 4412 it would be surpassed in three months the phone was surpassed by everyone performance wise, the new SOC will be ready a month after Barcelona so why rush and push a product that won't be the android flagship for another year. They promised whole day intensive use battery life as well.

G

Don't blame Samsung for pushing it back, it should be fully bake before our consumption.
Plus their a lot of apple spy, waiting to steals Samsung idea and then sue other company. Their were even ispy for CES all so.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Apple spys? Apple stealing from Samsung? Wow, what a bunch of idiots.

Samsung builds components & processors to Apple's specifications. Therefore, Samsung has a head start on knowing exactly what Apple is up to since Apple would have to provide Samsung this information long before an actual product is out.

In fact, last year a Samsung executive was charged because he knew about Apple parts orders for the iPad and passed that information along to a hedge fund so they could invest accordingly.

G

In fact, last year a Samsung executive was charged because he knew about Apple parts orders for the iPad and passed that information along to a hedge fund so they could invest accordingly.

[citation needed]

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
You do know that the A5 is the only iPhone/iPod/iPad CPU thus far that Apple designed. Before the A4, Apple bought it's chips from Samsung. The A4 was the first SoC designed by Apple, but the CPU in it was designed by Intrinsity (later bought by Apple) and Samsung. This is the reason why the CPU in the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 4 are identical. The A5 is the only SoC completely designed by Apple, all other were bought from Samsung or built upon a Samsung design so doesn't it stand to reason that it was perhaps the other way around?

gtatar

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Apple has been stealing since its inception. Heck their logo was stolen off a xerox printer. Such innovation.... lol

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]JaneRox[/nom]Jane either copied/pasted the error, or she wrote it up on her iPad, which naturally, already knew that a Galaxy S III would never exist, and thus, *corrected* it to be a "II".Anyway, lately, I've been really curious about laptops, and have been looking around, but maybe I should just wait for a quad core tablet. IDK yet, but I want it for media consumption, but still would love to have the power and speed of a laptop... hmm... guess i keep looking and waiting... maybe IB is the answer? maybe Tegra-something? hmm...[/citation]

Sorry, should be all fixed now. It wasn't a C/P error, nor was it autocorrect. I had actually written the number 3 several times in the post and changed them to roman numerals when I was reading back over it. I guess that third press of the 'i' key didn't register... That or I had a brain fart and only typed two. Either way, it's all better now. :)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Sorry, should be all fixed now. It wasn't a C/P error, nor was it autocorrect. I had actually written the number 3 several times in the post and changed them to roman numerals when I was reading back over it. I guess that third press of the 'i' key didn't register... That or I had a brain fart and only typed two. Either way, it's all better now.[/citation]
Honesty is the best policy, +1

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]nexusCFX[/nom]In fact, last year a Samsung executive was charged because he knew about Apple parts orders for the iPad and passed that information along to a hedge fund so they could invest accordingly.[citation needed][/citation]
Too lazy to Google? This was posted on all the tech sites but I guess it's one of those stories that haters "forget" ever happened.

Just search for "Suk-Joo Hwang" (the Samsung exec who leaked the numbers) and "apple" and you'll find countless news articles,

Doesn't matter if the A5 is the only processor completely designed by Apple. Samsung still received orders from Apple for components which means Samdung knows how many devices Apple is making and what's going in them.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
"Oh, and in case you were wondering, rumored specs for the Galaxy S III include 2GB of RAM, a 12MP camera, and a 4.6-inch Super AMOLED Plus HD display, NFC and 4G LTE"

And 8 minutes of battery life in a giant-sized, impractical form factor.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]"Oh, and in case you were wondering, rumored specs for the Galaxy S III include 2GB of RAM, a 12MP camera, and a 4.6-inch Super AMOLED Plus HD display, NFC and 4G LTE"And 8 minutes of battery life in a giant-sized, impractical form factor.[/citation]
I test drove the Galaxy Nexus (it has the same display as the one rumored to be on the Galaxy S III) and when I first picked up the phone it didn't feel that much bigger than my iPhone 4S and it wasn't impractical or awkward or whatever. The first time I noticed that the phone was really bigger was when I turned on the phone and for the first time saw the LCD. Still, the phone was small enough to fit comfortably in my hand and in my pocket. In terms of specs the Galaxy Nexus is a let down, but the LCD isn't. I loved the darn thing, in web browsing it was way better than my iPhone 4S, and also the colors are a lot more vivid on the Galaxy Nexus. If the Samsung Galaxy S III does come with the same screen and with better specs than the Galaxy Nexus then I will certainly going to buy it and replace my android phone.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I don't get it. This is such a tiny increment from the Galaxy SII, with NO new features, for DOUBLE the price when it launches, why bother?? It'll have a camera with more megapixels so you can make LARGER crap photos with a tiny sensor, more RAM and processor so you can... have more angry birds on the screen at once?? There's no reason to need a tiny increment more processing, NOTHING needs it right now!

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I test drove the Galaxy Nexus (it has the same display as the one rumored to be on the Galaxy S III) and when I first picked up the phone it didn't feel that much bigger than my iPhone 4S and it wasn't impractical or awkward or whatever. The first time I noticed that the phone was really bigger was when I turned on the phone and for the first time saw the LCD. Still, the phone was small enough to fit comfortably in my hand and in my pocket. In terms of specs the Galaxy Nexus is a let down, but the LCD isn't. I loved the darn thing, in web browsing it was way better than my iPhone 4S, and also the colors are a lot more vivid on the Galaxy Nexus. If the Samsung Galaxy S III does come with the same screen and with better specs than the Galaxy Nexus then I will certainly going to buy it and replace my android phone.[/citation]

You have both an Android phone to replace, as well as a new iPhone 4S?

When people answer the phone on the Nexus they look ridiculous, IMO, and yes it was very much a let down in the specs department :)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]You do know that the A5 is the only iPhone/iPod/iPad CPU thus far that Apple designed. Before the A4, Apple bought it's chips from Samsung. The A4 was the first SoC designed by Apple, but the CPU in it was designed by Intrinsity (later bought by Apple) and Samsung. This is the reason why the CPU in the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 4 are identical. The A5 is the only SoC completely designed by Apple, all other were bought from Samsung or built upon a Samsung design so doesn't it stand to reason that it was perhaps the other way around?[/citation]

You do know that there is more to a phone than the processor used, and that any accusations of 'copying' levelled at Samsung by Apple have not been anything to do with the processor, but in fact due to copying the design aspect which was very much created entirely by Apple. A CPU choice and design can tell you a lot about the device, even indirect components.

The reason ericburnby cited the chip is that it gives Samsung information on the time scales, launches, volumes, etc which alone tells them a lot about the architecture of the devices, even in OLD cases where the CPU wasn't designed by Apple

As it happens, the fact that the A5 is used in all the current top-tier products means that the CURRENT case (we're all living in the present, right?) is that Samsung manufacturers to Apples design, and we've already seen examples of them trying to copy that in the legal case - which, by the way, another case was won by Apple preventing sales of the Galaxy Tab again yesterday. At least the law can see blatantly copying when it happens - I mean even the packaging was the same, ridiculous :) Anyway, I digress. The point is that whether or not the CPU was designed by Apple or not is irrelevant since it gives Samsung all kinds of other information, and also the fact that the new chips ARE designed by Apple makes the past process irrelevant.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]You do know that there is more to a phone than the processor used, and that any accusations of 'copying' levelled at Samsung by Apple have not been anything to do with the processor, but in fact due to copying the design aspect which was very much created entirely by Apple. A CPU choice and design can tell you a lot about the device, even indirect components.The reason ericburnby cited the chip is that it gives Samsung information on the time scales, launches, volumes, etc which alone tells them a lot about the architecture of the devices, even in OLD cases where the CPU wasn't designed by AppleAs it happens, the fact that the A5 is used in all the current top-tier products means that the CURRENT case (we're all living in the present, right?) is that Samsung manufacturers to Apples design, and we've already seen examples of them trying to copy that in the legal case - which, by the way, another case was won by Apple preventing sales of the Galaxy Tab again yesterday. At least the law can see blatantly copying when it happens - I mean even the packaging was the same, ridiculous :) Anyway, I digress. The point is that whether or not the CPU was designed by Apple or not is irrelevant since it gives Samsung all kinds of other information, and also the fact that the new chips ARE designed by Apple makes the past process irrelevant.[/citation]
SoCs doesn't really reveal what kind of device is going to be out of the factory. Just to put in perspective the A5 is used in the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S, the A4 was used on the iPhone 4, 4th gen iPod Touch, 2nd gen Apple TV and the iPad. Now with the LCD display that's another story.

Could you please point to the article where it states that Samsung tried to copy the Apple A5?

First Apple hasn't won any court case. Apple was awarded a temporary injunction preventing Samsung from selling the Galaxy Tab. Apple was also awarded a temporary injunction against N-TK, yet N-TK won the case.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]You have both an Android phone to replace, as well as a new iPhone 4S?When people answer the phone on the Nexus they look ridiculous, IMO, and yes it was very much a let down in the specs department :)[/citation]
Perhaps to you people that use the Galaxy Nexus look ridiculous, it's your opinion, but that doesn't mean it's shared by everyone. Also the Galaxy Nexus is just about 2cm taller and 1cm wider than the iPhone 4S, I wouldn't call it tremendously large. And when browsing the web the larger screen makes the mobile browser more usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.