Report: Smartphones Overtook PCs in Shipped Units in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Phones are replaced at the rate some other people change underwear, be it quality problems, must have the latest model fixation or simply its such a huge upgrade.

Computers on the other hand lasts for several years, have good performance and many components are upgradeable/replaceable unlike a phone so there is no need to buy a new each year or so.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Dude, "smartphones" are PDA's, along with iPads/tablets.....

But calling them "PDA's" isn't cool huh? That would make it sound like a Palmpilot... and we can't have that, right????

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Report: Smartphones Overtook PCs in Shipped Units in 2011
OH NOOOOOO!!!! THE PC IS DEAD!!!

I hate such comparsions. i mean, there are more PCs than supercomputers, so are supercomputers dead?

Two different things intended for two different purposes with a different useful life span. If our 8 year old P4 based PC can still perform basic office tasks, run XP and be a good low-cost alternative to buying a new PC, why would anyone change it?

Smartphone tech is much newer than PC tech, so naturally it grows faster.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Dumb comparasion.
Smartphones and Pc;s are two different categories.
They could just as well have had the headline: "Total number of toothpicks sold is larger than the number of smartphones."

First, in a family every member probably has his own smartphone, but I think there are fewer computers per person.
Secondly, I think the normal person changes his phone more often than a Pc.
And third, many are buying their first smartphone these days, things will settle down after this.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Maybe this day will come where we can actually get quality phones that last 6-8 yrs with actual software upgrades and maybe parts able to be upgraded at our discretion ohh one can dream!

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Not really a comparison. You upgrade phones like you're buying clothes. My PC is 5 years old, yet can run anything you throw at it. Of course smartphones sells, because once you buy a smartphone you are stuck with the same hardware and software to some extent till the next upgrade. People still build PC's for high end gaming but you don't see that being reported as "sales" go figure.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
if cable/dsl companies sold new PCs with 2 year contracts, people would be upgrading far more frequently...

and i'm not even a fan of that model. bought a smartphone second-hand and use page-plus for, essentially, a smartphone that is only smart on wireless aside for directions and very minimal web browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.