Report: YouTube to Stream Movie Rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I wouldn't. I can't watch movies on my computer unless I am on a plane. I'd just go out and rent it somewhere else and watch it on a comfy couch and huge tv.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I never buy or rent movies, this is what friends are for, just borrow or watch @ friends house. If they were like $1.99 I might consider renting on youtube .

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Finally! What took them so long for such a basic service? Let's just hope now that the price will be acceptable.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
.I wouldn't. I can't watch movies on my computer unless I am on a plane. I'd just go out and rent it somewhere else and watch it on a comfy couch and huge tv

Here is the crazy idea: why don't Yo4u connect Your PC to TV.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]gamerjames[/nom]I wouldn't. I can't watch movies on my computer unless I am on a plane. I'd just go out and rent it somewhere else and watch it on a comfy couch and huge tv.[/citation]

there are TVs with built-in Youtube support as well as third-party video players such as Popcorn Hour...

i've tried to watch regular Youtube video on TV and it was worse than watching with rabbit ears...

i don't know what kind of bit rate the rental films will have...i hope it'll be good enough to at least get SD quality to TV....

almostdecent

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
[citation][nom]ainarssems[/nom]Here is the crazy idea: why don't You connect Your PC to TV.[/citation]

You took the words out of my mouth. I have this setup in 3 locations at home here. You get the big screen advantages, without the need to transfer file to pendrive or DVD. A half-decent wireless mouse is pretty practical too of course.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
3.99 is a bit expensive, considering all it takes to watch it. (good internet connection, a good PC connected to either a TV or a good monitor). Hell, I could even buy a DVD for that price.

I'd rather rent a physical DVD for the same price and just need a tv and a cheap dvd player.

However, like someone else said, if the price was down do 1.99, I'd seriously consider.

frankzz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Maybe they could charge based on the quality of the movie, I think that a 2mb/s streaming video isnt worth as much as say a 8mb/s streaming video. It would also help get people with low bandwidth to rent them from youtube instead of going to the local rental place and pay a few dollars more. But its up to the movie studios and google/youtube on how much a lower quality video will be worth. Maybe the studios will think that content is more important than quality..

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Walmart - $1 rental per day.Netflix? unlimited per month at what, I forgot, but it's worth more than $3 per rental.[/citation]
netflix 8.99 a month

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
how will this relate to netflix's online streaming.. sign up for 2 dvd rentals.. and u get a huge library of streaming movies/tv shows..etc.. its about time we get another strong competitor for netflix.. but price will be the factor here since netflix already has the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS