Requesting help to buy new tv, suitable for ps4 and pc

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hi folks, I reside in Canada, and I've had my Sony Bravia (engine 1, 46"), since it released way back, and its still running strong but picture quality is way behind what is available today.

Budget: I don't really want to spend more than $1,500 tbh

Size im interested in:

55" - 60"

Smart and 3D are whatever to me, if its part of the deal cool if not, its no biggie, I'm looking for best picture quality I can get with doable input lag. I doubt ill notice anything under 30ms, and I think i'll be fine with 40ms, I dont know lol

What I will be connecting to tv:
Ps4 (I mainly game on this and ps3 as well as watch movies)
my PC (I sometimes game on PC, mostly do programming hmwk, and practice zBrush/3ds Max, and watch some movies as well)

For Audio, I mostly use my wireless headphones that connect to both my PC and consoles

----Edit----
Games I play:
Battlefield 4 on console
Aside from that, the rest is mostly RPG (Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Tera, Star Wars Old Republic)

My preferred brands:
Sony
Samsung

Brands I've had bad experience with:
Vizio, will avoid it.

Settings:
Bedroom, dark curtains, so it's not that bright, I mostly watch in the late afternoon-evening in dim light, so I'm fine with either Plasma or LED (OLED was cool until i saw the price tag lol)

I work at Tiger Direct and have seen some nice Seiki's, and Toshibas, I've asked the other reps there, their opinion, but they were unsure as well.

I didn't see much of a difference between 4k and 1080p when it came to movies that I put on demo at the store.

So any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Costco membership as well so I can shop there too if Costco canada has some proper tvs.

Thanks again!

Solution
for pc or console gaming:

you do not need 120hz/240hz as they cause lag. (since it only accepts a 60hz input anyways and fakes in the rest of the frames)

motionflow would also likely need to be disabled

my suggestion would be to find a good 60hz, non smart tv however those are sadly lacking in the current market.

honestly my 40" sony bravia 60hz can stand with the best of them nowdays in terms of picture and since its native 60hz without any bs functions i feel its better.

my personal choices would be sony and samsung as well.

i would look for something without smart tv, 3d, without 120hz (but if it has it then at least a game mode for 60hz use), but with the bravia engine (if sony).

we just picked up a samsung 50"...
for pc or console gaming:

you do not need 120hz/240hz as they cause lag. (since it only accepts a 60hz input anyways and fakes in the rest of the frames)

motionflow would also likely need to be disabled

my suggestion would be to find a good 60hz, non smart tv however those are sadly lacking in the current market.

honestly my 40" sony bravia 60hz can stand with the best of them nowdays in terms of picture and since its native 60hz without any bs functions i feel its better.

my personal choices would be sony and samsung as well.

i would look for something without smart tv, 3d, without 120hz (but if it has it then at least a game mode for 60hz use), but with the bravia engine (if sony).

we just picked up a samsung 50" un50eh6000fxza for about $800 and though its 120hz with motionflow (honestly we had no choice due to choices available at the single retailer we could buy from using gift cards we had) it does have the ability to disable both modes and doesnt have a terrible picture. sorry i havent tested it with pc or console though. i would have preferred something more barebones (since 120hz and motionflow as well as 3d is a complete joke) but it seems to work fine. i still use my old sony bravia for the pc and consoles though.

not sure if this provides a concrete answer for you though.. just some of my opinions

Solution

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

thanks! that's all I needed to know, at least this way I can keep an eye out for good tvs that could have the game mode feature or the ability to turn off the extra hz so i can keep it at 60. I'll visit the sony store near me to find out about their tvs.

thanks again, really appreciate it.

there was a 60hz 50" sony model for like $650 however it was discontinued after only like 4 months and zero were on display so i couldnt see if it was any good or not. i refuse to buy a tv without seeing it in person. anyways... we ended up with the samsung as a second choice. i didnt want to take the chance on a discontinued model i couldnt even see in person.

yeah.. 60hz game mode is a must anymore. most feature it however some models apparently dont have it working so well (just what i've heard). i t hink it may be due to some models requiring you to use a certain input for 60hz instead of making it an option which affects all inputs.