Researchers build 'SpeechJammer' Gun to Shut People Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
And then of course one gets sued for firing a laser into someone's eye & causing retinal
damage (could be classed as an assault)...

Ian.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Please do live off the grid...yes please do. Quick stop using the internet and posting stupid comments, move to some remote area where your closest neighbor is AT LEAST 500 miles away.[/citation]
I bet he was a bad kid and Jesus saved him and now he's living a life as a Christian, full of pain and sorrow and needs to find some quote in the Bible that explains to him in his narrow little mind why things happen the way they do, just to make him feel better about himself.

Yeah, he's probably THAT type of Christian. There's those types that need a crutch in life, and then there are those that are born into Christian families. You can tell the difference.

blackrose42

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]Collie147[/nom]Very tough to do! I toyed with the idea in college when I was studying electronics and sound engineering. I took the idea from noise cancelling earphones, as I was driven demented by screaming teenagers, deafening repetitive trance/lady gaga on repeat and obnoxious phonecalls from gossips who told their life story every day on the bus. Principal was simple, sound was captured by a mic and played back out of phase by a speaker at the same volume - cancelling out all the background or ambient sound. My problem was that it always ended up that the mic picked up on what the speaker produced and inevitably ended up feeding back (tested in a room the size of a bus it never worked, large open spaces work best!) How they tackled this I have no idea, but its a doozey![/citation]

I think you got the message wrong. It is designed to repeat what you said, not re-send it as an out-of-phase wave to 'cancel' the sound. As it said, it's like toddlers mocking you by repeating what you said. Yeah, studies have shown that DAF can induce mental stress so it'll definitely shut up almost anyone when applied to them

Status
Not open for further replies.