Restarting drops FPS?

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
Okay so I have a Pavilion 15-n235tx which the first time I got it, I could play games like (Lets use Team Fortress Classic as an example)TFC and get 500fps+. After that I noticed my hard drive was dying which should have been the caused of my game TFC to be dropping fps to like 130fps. I decided to install an SSD. Intel SSD 520 Series 180GB it was. It worked great. I CLEAN REINSTALLED Windows 8.1 on the hard drive and everything was so fast. When I download back TFC I was getting crazy 500+ fps back again! But then something happened which I find very stupid...

All I did was restart my laptop JUST after testing TFC. The only programs installed were firefox, skype and steam. (Yes I have tried reinstalling clean windows 8.1 all over again) Just by restarting, my TFC fps dropped down to 130 fps again. Why is this happening? I don't believe a simple small restart could just cause my game to drop fps? I mean like HOW?? WHY??

Installed Firefox, Skype, and Steam. Downloaded ONLY TFC. Ran it and got 500+ fps.

Restart.

BOOM! Back to 130 fps.

P.S
Don't ask why I need a high fps. It's kind of complicated.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Is Geforce Experience running on your notebook? Have you checked that it is not set to alter your games settings and possibly capping FPS or changing another setting?

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

I though GeForce might be the problem so I fresh clean installed windows 8.1 again. Right now I do have Nvidia control panel but not nvidia geforce experience. I might try and reinstall a third time to find out the difference but the bad thing is by re installing huge files like an OS I'm destroying my SSD's lifespan :(

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Not really. That was true a couple of years ago, but most modern SSD's have life cycles that span over 10 years now. But, I agree, I would not like to keep installing an OS just for testing. It is definitely a setting IMO.

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

I think I'll just try and reinstall a final time. I'll observe the changes when its running the first time it finishes set up and when it actually restarts

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

OMG! Found the solution. I used guru3d's display driver uninstaller and did a clean and restart without safe mode and got my fps back. Wouldn't this mean I'm using my intel's graphics card? How is my intel graphics card stronger than nvidia's driver?

Some people said that they avoided this problem while still having the nvidia drivers by doing a clean install of nvidia every update. Does it work?

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
No, it means you are using the Microsoft Geforce drivers, not the Nvidia ones. I do not know if the solution you mentioned works, I have never tested it. It sure can't hurt to try.

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

My device manager doesn't show Nvidia anywhere in the display adapter section. Only shows Intel graphics XXXX? How can I check if it really is using my nvidia geforce GT740M? Cause when I first bought it I can remember ... vividly... that I had nvidia geforce along with it on my pc already and it was still running fine around 600 fps. So.... If its using my INTEL graphics instead of my nvidia it might mean that my graphics card is dying or smth

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Windows key + R to open the Run dialog and type:

dxdiag

Press enter and choose No if prompted to check for digital signature. Choose Display 1 tab and it should list what it is using.

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

My dxdiag only has 1 display tab. It shows the device is Intel HD Graphics family. However if I remember as well having nvidia driver installed while it lags my game, my dxdiag would still only show Intel HD Graphics family.

For the BIOS,
I know how to access it but I don't know how to find that setting to disable the intel chip?

swiftmcpro

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

Okay TBH it might be the game's fault. I updated my Nvidia graphics drivers already and found out that if I want to play old games like TFC and CS 1.6 with high fps I have to disable the Nvidia graphics drivers through Device Manager.

If I want to play games like CSGO I would have to enable Nvidia for it not to lag.

Kind of weird though. If I remember I was able to play TFC with nvidia graphics driver at like 600 fps.

TRENDING THREADS