restore backup on blank harddrive

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
i'm looking for a program that can restore a system image (back-up) on a blank harddrive (with no windows on it), through some kind of mini os on a usb

i found a program but i don't know if it will do what i want it to do, can someone confirm this
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-professional/
or give the name of a (free) program that can do this)

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

If You intend to make a backup image using a Paragon product
(free or pay for versions. Your link goes to the pay for version)

(It has a linux based or WinPE based bootable cd /usb disk image on which to run their imaging software)

Since they offer a 30 day free trial you can confirm if works for you before buying it

Things get very complicated if you try to recover a image to a smaller hard disk than the one the image was taken from

If new hard disk is the same or bigger no problems

rival products by Easeus , Acronis .....
Acronis do special free versions for WD , Seagate ... hard drives & SSD's manufacturers for migrating from old to new disks.

regards
Mike Barnes

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

so does this mean i can use this on the new blank hdd to access the option to restore a system image without windows pre-installed or using a windows disc?

just want to make sure, if i understand it

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

It assumes you have a working windows PC
With an un damaged hard drive
You boot off bootable disk provided by Paragon etc
Create image file on usb hard disk or over network to a PC or server hard disk with enough free space
If hard drive in PC dies you replace faulty hard disk with a new one ( no smaller than original)
Then boot off paragon disk and use reverse option to put image on hard drive
Image will either be a number of separate ones for each partition or one with all partitions

As I said you get a 30 days free trial so you can see for your self

This is not an alternative to data backup as you could be bringing back image of computer several years old

Regards
Mike Barnes

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

i tried using easeus free version.
i made a bootable usb, and set the bios to read the usb first, but it didn't work, it's an old usb probably 1.1 version (could this be the problem)

also have you ever backed up/restored with this program?
if so does it really backup everything (os, files and recovery files)

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

These programs read the hard disk sector by sector starting at first sector going upto last and put this data into a file or possibly a series of files each 1 GB

This could be a hard disk with any operating system or file system
(Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix)

The Files and file system are not relevant

The program only has to understand file system if you want to expand partitions onto a new larger hard drive

I have not used easeus version but no reason it should not work

Note some programs back up partitions but not master boot sector or boot partition and need extra knowledge to use and make new disk bootable and sometimes preformating new hard drive

Regards
Mike Barnes

QuestinMarks

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

do you happen to know a program that can backup the entire hdd (without the need to select seperate partitions)?

also have you done this before?
(using WinPE (bootable usb) to restore a backup onto a NEW UNUSED/BLANK harddisk?, because i'm still wondering if this will work or not)