Restore Win 7 to new HD problem

Jeffrodoe

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Put a new HD in my HP laptop. Installed everything to like right out of the box using the restore discs. Once it was finished, it said it was going to reboot, and to not turn off the puter during the process. Well, it rebooted then the HP welcome screen came up....then...nothing for 45 min now. Is this normal when doing a restore to a new HD or should I do something?

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, Jeffrodoe!

I'd suggest you to try troubleshooting the issue by unplugging the laptop from the power supply and removing the battery. Leave it powered down like that for like 5 minutes, then re-assemble the power supply and try to boot. I'd also recommend you to take a look at this tutorial and make sure you've followed the steps properly to restoring your Windows 7 OS to the new HDD. Here's the link: https://www.winhelp.us/restore-a-system-image-in-windows-7.html

Hope it helps. Keep me posted though! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Jeffrodoe

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Thank you for the time you took to respond, however about 2 hours after i posted, i found the problem. The new HD I installed was a 500 gb, but the one I replaced was a 640 gb. That was the issue. At least with win 7, when using recovery discs, you can only restore to a HD that is of equal or larger capacity than the one in use when you created the discs. Oddly, the first time i put in the restore discs, it said nothing about it, but the second time I tried it, it immediately said the new HD is smaller than the original HD so it won't work. Today I exchanged the 500 gb drive with a 1 TB drive, installed it, and it is now progressing nicely thru the process as expected, restoring my laptop to factory fresh condition. Once again, thank you for trying to help me.