restrict mobile phone from wifi router

chrisgray264

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Can I block my sons mobile phone from logging on to my wifi during the night please. i dont want to have to power off the router at night.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
MAC address filtering is possible, though this would block the specific device 24/7 and would have to be disabled/re-abled by you every night/morning. This can be done via the router itself.

To do this, we start with command prompt to find the routers IP address. If you already know your routers IP address, you can skip the first step.

Connect via a PC on the wireless network --> Open start and type "cmd" --> right click it and select "run as administrator" --> in the black box, type "ipconfig" without the quotes and hit enter.

It might take a minute to run, just let it do it's thing. When it's finished you should see this:
Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : 0000::000:00
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 000.000.0.00
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 000.000.000.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : XXX.XXX.X.XXX
The Default Gateway heading, filled with X's is the one we're looking for.

Open a web browser --> type in that number, including the dots.

It should now prompt you to log in. The password should be on a sticker on the router.

Once logged in navigate to the advanced settings page, unfortunately I cant be any more specific as each router has different menus. --> Find the MAC filter function.

Now you need your sons MAC address, so you'll need to borrow his phone.

Navigate on his phone to Settings --> Wireless and Networks --> Wi-Fi Settings --> Click menu button and select "Advanced" --> The MAC address should be listed here.

Now that you have the MAC address, you can add it to the filter list in the routers settings. You can disable and re-able access in about 10 seconds flat, if you leave the routers IP in your browser history (or even bookmark it).