Question Retrieve backup after reset

Shubert

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
I was having trouble with my SG5 and finally got it stable enough to reset. It was rebooting over and over. It started doing the same thing even after I reset it, but seems to be stabilized now.
I took the advice of one site to copy and paste contents of phone to desktop computer. I opened phone and dragged whatever was there to folder on desktop. I also backed up to google (apparently) but can't figure out how to get what's there. Most of my stuff is gone. What I'm most concerned with is phone contacts, text Messages, and Memos. I thought they would be included in what I dragged to my computer. Any clues how to do this?

That is not how you do a backup off a phone, there are utilities built into the phone for that, including cloud backups. Did you hook up the phone and copy whatever you had there back to the phone? Don't think that will work but you may as well try it. If you found something that said you should just copy the files from the phone that way, the second part of that info would be what to do with the files after you did that, just go back to the same place and look.

When you do a backup to your Google account, once you setup the phone it will prompt you to logon to the account, at which point it will restore whatever you backed up to it.

Shubert

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
I dragged what I had put on my pc back to the phone. Somehow it got all jumbled up, folders got created - which I did not want, files ended up in different folders, some duplications. What a mess.
Now I remember I have an old SG2 which I transferred to this phone with Samsung Smart switch. It worked very well a few years ago. So I downloaded it through google play store - and now it's rebooting over and over - worse than the first time. This is a nightmare.