Return error, Dell sent me an upgraded model; from a 7567 to 7577 by mistake?!

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
So I had an issue with my GPU on my new laptop, an Inspiron 15 7567, and I initiated a exchange for a new machine through Dell, a very seamless & painless process besides not having a laptop for a week while they revived my faulty one and sent me a new one. Since the laptop is only 15 days old they offerd to exchange it out vice going through the warranty RMA process, which I happily accepted. However instead of getting a new 7567 in exchange for the one with a defective GPU, they sent me a new Inspiron 15 7577, which is the newer model of mine and a $150-200 upgrade. This is clearly an error on their part and they just upgraded my laptop by mistake. I do feel as if I should say something and tell them of the mistake, but I dont want to have to send this one back again and wait another week or so since its the weekend for my laptop. Also the warranty is suspended until I register the new laptop and im worried that if I dont say anything and they discover the error of their own accord that I may get my warranty voided. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed? I feel that honesty is the best policy in any situation, & I dont mind returning it for the correct mode, the one I purchased; I just dont want to wait any longer to ship it back to them and then wait again for them to ship me the correct model. I suppose they could always just say thanks for letting us know and keep the new model on us, but I gather they will want the more expensive and newer machine back, thus having to wait out the shipping process.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Just register it as if you have bought it from dell. You don't need to tell them anything extra, put in the correct model info as in 7577 and make sure you get warranty acknowledged. Now if in response they say they screwed up and want the machine back, what you do is demand that they send you the right one first, and then you will return that one only after you got the right one and is satisfied. I suspect they did not make a mistake, but got you the best replacement they can and they are not interested in the more shipping costs and they just hope you don't fuss about it too much.

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Right, i agree, that sounds like a solid approach. Thank you for the advice.