Reusing Old Computers & Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Since we are on Toms, and toms has a FAH (folding at home team) should that not be listed as a good use for old PC, or just any spare CPU cycles? 40051 FTW!

Leftfield42

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
I have a number of old PCs from the last 13 years still alive, being used as midi sound 'servers'. Some have Gigastudio 3 or 4 on them, others just have an SB Live or Audigy card, one even has an old AWE64 Gold in it (still running Win 98 SE, but not internet connected!). It's an old school approach, but it has allowed the extension of the available midi channels without the problems of overtaxing a single DAW all-in-one solution. I've yet to make real use of the whole set up, but it will get used one day...

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I've read that projects that utilize your spare CPU power like folding@home haven't brought any real benefit and the scientific community thinks they have enough CPU power already. Is this true or is it just adding to your electricity bill, wasting your internet connection bandwidth, and worsening global warming?

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]I've read that projects that utilize your spare CPU power like folding@home haven't brought any real benefit and the scientific community thinks they have enough CPU power already. Is this true or is it just adding to your electricity bill, wasting your internet connection bandwidth, and worsening global warming?[/citation]

i like to see where you read that at as last i checked as the performance is still well under what they would like to see.

As for benefits, this project has already done a lot to better understand certain diseases.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers

G

The best use of an old PC is to make it into a Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (MAME)

G

I concur with BigPeanut: Converting an old pc into an Arcade station is a quite fun project.
Similar project is turning it into a music jukebox, with a touchscreen and easy to use playlist builder / genre selector. Saves you quite some DJ time and comments about music during parties.

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I have plenty of old machines, but I don't like the idea of having an age old P4 beast on all day just so I can share files/run torrents/etc. low power devices can for a small cost do the same thing, otherwise if you have a beefy machine you could always virtualise and save on the load. It's become a dilemma for me repuposing these machines as servers for that reason.

A mame box is perfect though...

egeier

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Hi all,

mayankleoboy1: Thanks. Yes, thought I'd go with more productive ideas though the art can be cool.
jaksun5: yes I hear you. Plug Computers are a good option too.
plasmastorm: Best idea here :) and give them to the kids!
BigPeanut: Yes, MAME was on my radar but didn't make it in the piece. Great idea too!

Thanks for reading!
Eric Geier (the author)

malici0usc0de

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
It would be better to replace the CPU and mainboard in the old PC if you plan to give it a new duty where it will run 24/7/365. An Atom CPU and mainboard can be had for cheap and the power savings will pay for it in a years time or less. The rest of the computer can be recycled but I would ditch the old mainboard and CPU for something more power efficient.

djfourmoney

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I liked this article and gives me many ideas, especially about File/Storage/Media Servers. But as a user of Windows 7 Media Center, I really like the way WHS connect to your main recording machine. Yes you can build a MythTV Front End, Media Server Back End in one machine, but I find Linux or AMD support of Linux problematic, I can't give up my Windows solution just to get a tiny bit more functionality.

All the other ideas are great and I'm really taking a serious look at Amahi... Thanks

G

i need more information on new and old internet connections and voip with fax connections.
zensupport.uk has become insufficient.thank u for the router ideas and info as i am a field technician who works with satelite dishes instead.

G

I don't know if this has been suggested already, but converting an old PC into an Arcade Machine is a project a few of my friends have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.