REVISED: Help! $800.00 to spend on lap top, What to do?

G4_Music

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Question: What percentage of the $800.00 should go to the lap-top that i'm going to buy and what percentage should go for up-grades and future expand-ability for the newly perchasced laptop in order to get the best bang for my buck (You know doing some home build myself)? I want to get the most powerful laptop for the money. example: speed, hard drive speed and capacity ram speed and capacity for present and future upgrade. processor speed, motherboard screen resolution and any thing you think would be more important. What brand is best bang for buck? I have no idea if I' going in the right direction, please help.

Any help sure would be appreciated. I will be running adobe c6 and have 2 international websites. along with allot of other tech tool software. the total software I have in GB is 150 GB and plan to grow to 1 terabyte (include database for websites) within the next year and one half.

I run wireless G and it's fast and would like to keep it that way.

Currently I have an Acer AOA 150 160 Mghz 1.5 GB ram 130 GB HD and 250 external HD. Should I sell any of these or integrate them with my new system?

Thanks.
G4_Music

Solution
Check out Sager. You can custom spec your computer and part for part they have been cheaper than any other laptop I've priced like HP, Sony, Toshiba, ACER, Lenovo, etc...

For example you can put an SSD into any model. To get an SSD in a Dell you need to choose a high end model that will cost you over $1000. So you can play with all the components to get an exact build that fits your budget. Choose the model based on screen size and video card and customize the rest.

Quality wise probably half the techies would argue that Sager produces that best laptops on the market. The other half would argue otherwise but still agree that Sager is still up there and a great buy. They are based on the Cleo chasis which is the best laptop...

bigcyco1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
The Lenovo Y580 15.6-Inch laptop is an all around great gaming laptop boasting a 15.6inch HD screen, a massive amount of system memory installed and a highly capable NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M graphics card with 2GB of dedicated video memory.

This is one the best choices at that price point having an unparalleled price to performance ratio and integrating a lot of useful features which span beyond a gaming ready portable machine. It runs on an Intel Core i7-3630QM which is accompanied by 6GB of RAM and a 750 GB hard drive for storage.It's perfect for to work with and edit large image files in photoshop video editing/organizing elect. http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Y580-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Dawn/dp/B009AEPQDI%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1165943-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB009AEPQDI

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Check out Sager. You can custom spec your computer and part for part they have been cheaper than any other laptop I've priced like HP, Sony, Toshiba, ACER, Lenovo, etc...

For example you can put an SSD into any model. To get an SSD in a Dell you need to choose a high end model that will cost you over $1000. So you can play with all the components to get an exact build that fits your budget. Choose the model based on screen size and video card and customize the rest.

Quality wise probably half the techies would argue that Sager produces that best laptops on the market. The other half would argue otherwise but still agree that Sager is still up there and a great buy. They are based on the Cleo chasis which is the best laptop chasis on the market.

There are other companies making laptops based on the Cleo but Sager is American, have great service, prices, warranty etc.... And they stress test each laptop fully to find any error in memory, CPU, etc.... You are pretty much guaranteed a fault free computer when it arrives. Asus also makes a nice laptop but the Sager is cheaper and is a better machine.

The only way your going to beat a sager is if you get a brand name machine on sale and just can't pass up the great deal.

Solution

G4_Music

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Thank you much. I will check into it ASAP.

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
The Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 is not a particularly good choice for somebody with a $800 budget, because the only models available for around that price are the models that come with the 1366x768 display and not the 1920x1080 display. That model on Amazon is one of the models that comes with the 1366x768 display, and it is not a good choice.

If you are looking at the Lenovo Y580, you need to make sure that the model in question comes with the 1920x1080 display and not the 1366x768 display. You should avoid buying any model/version of the Y580 that is equipped with a 15.6" 1366x768 display and not a 15.6" 1920x1080 display.

1366x768 resolution in a 15.6" display make things onscreen large, and 15.6" displays that have 1366x768 resolution tend to be low-grade LCD panels with very poor image quality due to low contrast. You should make a point to avoid displays like this when it is reasonable to do so, unless you require the larger text for eyesight related reasons.

This is more of an issue than the other differences between various models of the Y580 as well as other laptops. A GT 650M (as opposed to the Y580's GTX 660M) is not a terrible GPU, an i5-3210M (as opposed to the Y580's i7-3630QM) is not a terrible processor, but a 15.6" 1366x768 display is a terrible display. You should be concerned with improving a display that's pretty bad before you start trying to improve upon performance that's already pretty good. If a 1920x1080-model Y580 fits in your budget, then great. But if it doesn't, then a 1366x768-model Y580 is not an alternative nor a good choice; look at other laptops.

Note that this is an important consideration in general, but it makes a particular difference for someone into graphical work.

-------------

If you're interested in a laptop that'll do well in gaming, there's this option that's friendly towards your budget:

HP DV6t (NVIDIA GT 650M, 15.6" 1920x1080 matte display) - **$749 + tax**
- Saved Configuration: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7674563
- Apply coupon code NB7453
- Don't downgrade the GPU to the GT 630M or to Intel HD 4000 graphics. The GT 650M is considerably faster than either, and if one of the lower GPU options would work just as well for you then I would probably suggest getting an entirely different laptop.
- Don't downgrade the display to 1366x768. The 1366x768 display makes things onscreen large, and is a low-grade LCD panel with very poor image quality due to low contrast. The availability of the upgraded 1920x1080 display is part of why I'm recommending this laptop; I wouldn't be recommending this laptop if it didn't offer it.

-------------

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

My laptop is currently a Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition (QE just adds a quad core CPU and about $300) and it's a decent gaming machine. Definitely no match for my desktop, but I can play recent games on medium settings without a problem. I customized mine with the GT 650M, backlit keyboard, and 1920x1080 display as BTO options. After I got the machine, I put in an Intel Advanced-N 6235 WLAN card for dual-band support and a Plextor M3 256GB SSD to replace the sluggish 1TB 5400 RPM drive it shipped with.

I've got a couple of complaints about the machine though (nothing show stopping though). First, I'm not totally in love with the build quality. The plastic around the corner of the chassis (by the AC adapter socket) chipped a bit. Second, the subwoofer rattles the chassis at certain frequency ranges which makes a nasty noise. It seems to affect the low end of the vocal range so I catch it when I watch some YouTube videos. Despite the problems, I'd certainly recommend it.

EDIT: One major thing I forgot to mention! If you take the laptop off the AC adapter, the BIOS limits the frequency of the GT 650M to 405 MHz (as opposed to the normal boost clock of 835 MHz). The NVIDIA Control Panel is unable to override that clock speed ceiling even when manual clocks are set. I don't game with it anywhere that I'd be without a power adapter, but if you do that could be a deal breaker.

G4_Music

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Is there a possibility to get a bare bone laptop? Even not including the window OS or any other software? Just trying to save money. I have all the software I need at this moment. Also, is there a place to get a bare and I mean a bare-bone laptop? I'm new at buying but thinking if I purchase bare-bone and upgrade myself I could get more bang for my buck. I'm not sure though. Please help. Thanks...

G4_Music

G4_Music

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Could you build the laptop for me with 1920x1080 HD display using you specifications and knowledge trying to keep the price around $800 including tax? I know this is asking a bunch of you but it seems like you really know what your talking about. You have no idea how much I would appreciate it.
Thanks
G4_Music

G4_Music

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Dear Aicom,

Could you build the laptop for me with 1920x1080 HD display using you specifications and knowledge trying to keep the price around $800 including tax? I know this is asking a bunch of you but it seems like you really know what your talking about. You have no idea how much I would appreciate it.
Thanks

G4_Music

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Well a quick look at Sager and my expectations were right. They do not sell cheap laptops. What I mean is a $400 machine is not in their vocabulary. But a $1200 Sager will beat a $1200 Dell any day. Don't get me started on HP :)

Anyways a 17" screen is pretty much out of your budget. So I priced up a 15" 1080P. Intel Core I5 3210m, 8GB RAM, 750gb 7200RPM hard drive, and Geforce 835M 1GB video. Great specs but it's $859 before taxes. ALso windows 8 of course.

Now a quick look at Newegg.com I saw a Samsung for $750 with the same processor, an AMD video card, but 6GB of RAM, only 5400RPM hard drive and only 500GB, and also only 1360x768 screen not 1080p. So spec wise and quality wise it falls short of the Sager. The Sager is also customizable if you want to get an upgraded matte quality screen, more RAM, different hard drive or even hybrid or SSD, different CPU, different operating system. The Samsung is get what you get and good luck.

Also on NEwegg a $780 Acer. Better CPU and video, but again not a 1080P screen, only 5400RPM hard drive, 6GB RAM. You would be surprised how slow that 5400RPM hard drive is. I don't care how good the CPU is with that hard drive it'll feel like windows is lagging. A 7200RPM is key, and I would even upgrade to a Hybrid or SSD. Also the 108-p screen on the Sager cannot be beat.

I even looked at some $850 Acer, HP, Dell machines on Newegg. Some had 17" screens but again not 1080p. Also the 5400RPM hard drives and only 500gb. I've owned Sager and I know others who owned them as well and their build quality is superior. First off you get a bloatware free virgin instalation of WIndows 8 which is nice. Also they give you the WIndows DVDs. Not some image on a harddrive you have to backup yourself like every other manufacturer. So it's easy to swap hard drives on a Sager. And just the keyboard, screen, overall look and feel of the Sager is superior. I love the Cleo machines.

Sager has a 15.4" 1368x768 machine. Core I3, 8GB RAM, 750GB 7200RPM hard drive for $759. Compare that to everything above. Sager rules the roost. You can also upgrade to something like a crucial 128GB M4 SSD for $70. Or choose an Intel SSD and pay a bit more, or a Seagate hybrid drive. By the way Crucial and INtel are regarded as the 2 best SSDs on the market...nothing but the best from Sager.

Just my recommendation. If you really want 1080p find it in yourself to come up with a bit extra for the upgraded model which will also have a bit better video. Otherwise the $759 machine is still a beauty, however I love SSDs and would highly recommend one. SSDs are also shock resistant which is a plus for laptops.

Let us know how you decide.