RIAA Says Google Doesn't Do Enough to Fight Piracy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

/*Post soon to be down rated*/

Like it or not the MPAA and the RIAA have a solid foundation to stand on. That said the methods they employ, the power they are asking for for and expectations they place on non-affiliated websites are definitely out there.

The question is this:
Should the general public be able to go out and get whatever digital content they want free of charge be it music, movies or software?

If you think the answer is yes then by the same token you are also saying that it wouldn't be too crazy to say that there should Coke fountains that you can fill up your cup free of charge, or that an article of clothing should never cost more than the materials to make it. Screw that someone put in the time and effort to create something, you should get it for free because.... well just because.

That said, should you be paying a reflected rate of $19.35/hr for the privilege of listening to Justin Beiber's single "Die in Your Arms" off iTunes? I mean he is like SOOOO HOT and has voice of an angel, but seriously? Oh yeah and that will have DRM completely wrapped around it so good luck to you. But don't worry, you're still making that solid $7.50/hr flipping burgers in paradise.

In my opinion both sides are expecting something that is not based in reality.

Everything that is a material product people know and expect that it will be paid for, otherwise it is theft. The ease of a click and the privacy of peoples homes has everyone forgetting that digital works should have the respect as a product.

Do I approve of the MPAA or the RIAA? Nope. Even if you can find merit in what they are saying their methods are shit. Also much like ASCAP they take big fat steaming dump on the small guys that need more help than anyone. Should people become multi-millionaires for some terrible batch of songs that people go crazy for? It's kind of hard to say someone deserves more money while they are doing things like chopping up cars that are a couple hundred thousand dollars just for a music video. What about every single software company then, do they deserve to be worth billions? Ok now I'm losing focus haha.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]DOWN WITH THE RIAA and MPAA!Just for their efforts I hope more people pirate causing the RIAA, MPAA, and Record Labels to lose EVERYTHING they have.If you want to help follow the steps below:- Get a VPN- Encrypt your HDD with TrueCrypt or BitLocker- Use PeerBlock when downloading- Use TorBrowser to surf pirate sites- Use Eraser to permanently erase pirated files when your done with them- Use magnet links for torrents and enable full stream encryption and random ports- Use OpenDNS instead of your ISPs DNS[/citation]

Just get a newsgroup account.

G

"Why should Google spend all this money on something that will not help prevent piracy?"

Missing the point, the bottom line is that there is no law or real governance of the internet regarding fair and responsible business practices and there needs to be one without these cowboy agencies running around and suing everyone in creation.

Easy example is pawn shop law:
Sec. 371.181. STOLEN GOODS. (a) A pawnbroker shall monitor goods purchased, accepted in pawn, or otherwise acquired by the pawnbroker in order to identify and prohibit transactions involving stolen goods.
(b) The Finance Commission of Texas shall adopt rules that allow:
(1) a consumer who has filed an offense report with a local law enforcement agency to request that a pawnbroker search the records of the pawnshop; and
(2) the pawnbroker to assist the consumer and the local law enforcement agency in locating and recovering stolen property.

Obviously Google has a HUGE load on their hands if they were ever expected to comply with anything like the above law and I'm not saying that they should be held to the same. Bottom line is that, although unintentionally, Google has become much like a fence for stolen goods.

Dragoon21b

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Showing my age here but...Dose anyone remember waaaay back before the dawn of time when the RIAA insisted that DAT (Digital Audio Tape) was going to be the end of the music industry and of all civilization as we then knew it....the times change but the RIAA's hysteria never does

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
It seems like as time goes on the RIAA and MPAA are coming up with more and more 'out there' ideas on solving the pirating problem. I can only hope that this is desperation and that soon these organizations will cease to exist. If google really wants a cash cow, here's one: go ahead and accept unlimited numbers of take down requests just as this guy wants you to, but CHARGE them for it. It is a service that you are providing to them to help them make money right? Maybe they'll rethink things if they have to pay $5 a pop to request take downs.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]Way_it_is[/nom]That said, should you be paying a reflected rate of $19.35/hr for the privilege of listening to Justin Beiber's single "Die in Your Arms" off iTunes?...[/citation]

Uhmm I don't know where you get your figures from but if you're trying to say that artists get paid about $20 an hour then there's something wrong with you. They're more off of salary and contracts, which divided up into months/years/hours, doesn't not amount up to what i think your trying to say.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
There are a lot of other search engines apart from Google, if you are looking for pirated content and can't find it with Google simply use one of the other search engines. If Google blocks to many sites then people will stop using Google.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Way_it_is[/nom]/*Post soon to be down rated*/Like it or not the MPAA and the RIAA have a solid foundation to stand on. That said the methods they employ, the power they are asking for for and expectations they place on non-affiliated websites are definitely out there. The question is this:Should the general public be able to go out and get whatever digital content they want free of charge be it music, movies or software? If you think the answer is yes then by the same token you are also saying that it wouldn't be too crazy to say that there should Coke fountains that you can fill up your cup free of charge, or that an article of clothing should never cost more than the materials to make it. Screw that someone put in the time and effort to create something, you should get it for free because.... well just because. That said, should you be paying a reflected rate of $19.35/hr for the privilege of listening to Justin Beiber's single "Die in Your Arms" off iTunes? I mean he is like SOOOO HOT and has voice of an angel, but seriously? Oh yeah and that will have DRM completely wrapped around it so good luck to you. But don't worry, you're still making that solid $7.50/hr flipping burgers in paradise.In my opinion both sides are expecting something that is not based in reality.Everything that is a material product people know and expect that it will be paid for, otherwise it is theft. The ease of a click and the privacy of peoples homes has everyone forgetting that digital works should have the respect as a product. Do I approve of the MPAA or the RIAA? Nope. Even if you can find merit in what they are saying their methods are shit. Also much like ASCAP they take big fat steaming dump on the small guys that need more help than anyone. Should people become multi-millionaires for some terrible batch of songs that people go crazy for? It's kind of hard to say someone deserves more money while they are doing things like chopping up cars that are a couple hundred thousand dollars just for a music video. What about every single software company then, do they deserve to be worth billions? Ok now I'm losing focus haha.[/citation]

There is a simple solution to Google's and the RIAAs' mutual tension. Google should tell the RIAA that unless the RIAA pays Google for Google helping the RIAA fight piracy, the RIAA can go **** themselves.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Wayitis[/nom]"Why should Google spend all this money on something that will not help prevent piracy?"Missing the point, the bottom line is that there is no law or real governance of the internet regarding fair and responsible business practices and there needs to be one without these cowboy agencies running around and suing everyone in creation.Easy example is pawn shop law:Sec. 371.181. STOLEN GOODS. (a) A pawnbroker shall monitor goods purchased, accepted in pawn, or otherwise acquired by the pawnbroker in order to identify and prohibit transactions involving stolen goods.(b) The Finance Commission of Texas shall adopt rules that allow:(1) a consumer who has filed an offense report with a local law enforcement agency to request that a pawnbroker search the records of the pawnshop; and(2) the pawnbroker to assist the consumer and the local law enforcement agency in locating and recovering stolen property. Obviously Google has a HUGE load on their hands if they were ever expected to comply with anything like the above law and I'm not saying that they should be held to the same. Bottom line is that, although unintentionally, Google has become much like a fence for stolen goods.[/citation]

It's not the same. Google doesn't sell the stolen goods like a pawn shop would. Google can be used to find some illegal digital files, but Google is not the source nor the distributor. You don't go screwing with water companies when a drunk driver kills someone. Sure, the water in that drink(s) might have come from company A, but they're not only not the only company who supplies water, but most of their water isn't used for the purpose of creating alcoholic drinks and even if it was, they still don't promote drunk driving.

Google provides a service that can be used to find distributors of illegal digital property. Google can try to not help someone find such software, but even if they fail at that, they still aren't accountable for it. Even if they were, then other search engines should also be held to the same regulations, not just Google's search engine.

G

It's not that Google is not doing its part, it's that the RIAA is not working hard enough to put out quality products that will make the customer want to buy them.

G

Simple solution: get a list of RIAA artists, and blackhole search results for every goddamn one of them. After all, can't be TOO careful, amirite?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The RIAA thinks Google doesn't do enough to fight piracy? I say the recording industry doesn't do enough to pressure artists to make quality music that we'll actually remember 16 minutes later. That's right. Once an artist's 15 minutes are up, it's time to download.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The RIAA doesn't do enough to fight piracy. Why is it always someone else's problem to protect the RIAA's material? Why do they get to force others to enforce their contracts and rights? Why does Google have to play private digital security guard for the RIAA? Why can't the RIAA protect their own material? I am so tired of the **AA's of the world demanding everyone else foot the bill for their own shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.