RIAA sees Massive Layoffs, New Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
This makes me smile. Another organization will pop up in its place if it really does end up going under, and I'll work on trashing that one. :)

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i hope they go the way of aig and citicorp. i heard that they could have resolved this issue long ago, by working deal with isp, instead they went to grab as much as they could and not work it out. i guess they thought it would be better have kids in jails or scared and get every penny over working it out where we all could share without being sued.

G

Is 100 people a massive layoff? Can Tom's actually put this # in perspective? How many people are employeed by the RIAA? Is this 50%, 10%, 2%?

I also highly doubt the senior execs (who are probably the ones people do and should hate) are being impacted and there may be significant number of 'low' level employees... in this day and age, I would not take delight in that as these may be people living week to week, have families, etc. Keep in mind there are honest people at the RIAA who are not part of the litigation business.

Just a thought...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Even in a bad economy, there are some people who I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire. Bill collectors, telemarketers, people who work office jobs for Wall Mart... You can find ways to support your family that don't involve screwing over or abusing everyone in your community. So, to those suffering from this lay off... I hope you freaking starve!

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
The RIAA used to be a technical body (RIAA eq) to standardize recording and playback techniques, but "evolved" to a legal litigation one - it seems to be the more profitable one...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]We could be seeing the end of the record industry, lets hope the government doesn't step in and bail them out...[/citation]
You'd have to differenciate publishers and artists in that statement. I don't think we'll see the end of artists even if the 'record industry' (as in publishers, producers and marketing guys) disappears. They're just the middlemen anyway, and most big companies by now have figured out that middlemen are not truely nessecary. Aldi has their own of almost everything, and save a lot on not having middlemen. And with the advent of reasonably fast internet in most countries, you would as an artist (music) not depend on those middlemen. You can buy adequate recording gear reasonably cheap, or rent it even cheaper, and publish stuff yourself over the internet virtually free of expense.
I don't know how the movie industry would work without the big labels, but imo those smaller local productions are actually often better than the big budget ones. Inferior visuals sure, but usually much more compelling storyline, and actors that actually care to do well.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
LOL, I luv it, Scr3w CORPORATE thieves! That's what they get when they legitimize or sanction stealing money from us! I wanna see them corporate out on the street!

TSM

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Each and every person laid off now poses a threat to the RIAA. They have inside information about the company and they'd be willing to leak it. If one of you has damaging information don't hesitate to leak it :) I hope the RIAA goes down like the Hindenburg ... or Monica Lewinsky.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
this is great there loosing money and have to get rid of most of its workforce and to top it off they could be loosing more money (and im sure they will) from this lawsuit. RIAA will become the next SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.