Right Speaker problem

pidero

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Hi,

I have problem in my laptop Lenovo Y700. There is problem on the right side of my speaker, suddenly it just stop functioning. But the left side is working quite normal. In order to test i plug several earphones and i ended up with interesting outcomes. When i tried on apple earpods the right pair of my earphone is not working but left one does. Then i tried on dr. dre earphones result were more interesting, this time the right pair of my earphone works but left one do not.

I would be really appreciated, if somebody can give suggestions.:)

Solution
It sounds like there could be two issues. Since the speakers and the headphone jack, shouldn't have the same problems. There may be a short in both the jack and the speaker connections.

If the device is under warranty still, try contacting the manufacturer about a repair/replacement.

If it isn't under warranty, and you feel comfortable doing the work, you can open up the device and check the connections to make sure nothing is loose. Or take it to someone who can check.
It sounds like there could be two issues. Since the speakers and the headphone jack, shouldn't have the same problems. There may be a short in both the jack and the speaker connections.

If the device is under warranty still, try contacting the manufacturer about a repair/replacement.

If it isn't under warranty, and you feel comfortable doing the work, you can open up the device and check the connections to make sure nothing is loose. Or take it to someone who can check.

Solution

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
As to the 2 different headphones giving different results, it sounds like one of them is wired incorrectly, and the left vs. right is flipped. Since the headphone jack also mutes the speakers, I believe a loose connection on the headphone jack can cause the speaker issue also. In a laptop, the headphone jack is likely "integrated" into the motherboard PCB (printed circuit board), so checking for a loose connection may be difficult.