Riot Police Called in for Blackberry Launch in Jakarta

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The Blackberry is still very positive in the third world. I see it all over Latin America as well. Some people really enjoy texting and the Blackberry does a great job of it.

veenk

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I was actually there...it wasn't that chaotic at first...

but then...boom...

it was a hot day, crowded, n to make it worse 1000 bold for 3000...

_gs_

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
RIM hasn't died in country with slow internet connection. Instead, it is very popular there, android and apple based devices can't be optimized due to the slow connection..

G

when you buy a blackberry there, you get a blackeye for free!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
hacking blackberry tablet to run X86 is a big thing in that region from what I hear and now cheap with blackberry going under. I see the cause of the stampede

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Way to keep up with the news... This happened on THURSDAY right?[/citation]
Which was thanksgiving for the US, most people had Wednesday - Sunday off. So really 1 day late boo hoo.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I have to say, using both a BlackBerry and an iPhone, that I tend to use my BlackBerry a lot more than my iPhone. I can't endure lengthy messaging without a physical keyboard. In my opinion, BlackBerries are actually very good, it gets the job done quickly, and I am satisfied with it. Of course the new ones are a lot better. So I don't yet believe that RIM is dead. And being in Jakarta, I can say that BlackBerries being extremely popular is not caused merely by slow internet connections or lower prices than iPhones, but because the people here love to chat, and the BBM provides a seamless messaging experience (yes I've heard of iMessage). That said, the iPhone is also popular here in Jakarta, it's just not nearly as popular as BlackBerries.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Obviously, non of them learned anything about the creative use of pepper spray for crowd control. I guess the US is still ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to mob shopping.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]I have to say, using both a BlackBerry and an iPhone, that I tend to use my BlackBerry a lot more than my iPhone. I can't endure lengthy messaging without a physical keyboard. In my opinion, BlackBerries are actually very good, it gets the job done quickly, and I am satisfied with it. Of course the new ones are a lot better. So I don't yet believe that RIM is dead. And being in Jakarta, I can say that BlackBerries being extremely popular is not caused merely by slow internet connections or lower prices than iPhones, but because the people here love to chat, and the BBM provides a seamless messaging experience (yes I've heard of iMessage). That said, the iPhone is also popular here in Jakarta, it's just not nearly as popular as BlackBerries.[/citation]

Try Swype.. Or an alternative. I have an epic 4g and won't upgrade to any phone that doesn't have swype and my phone has a physical keyboard that I rarely use. It's only good fore serial keys or long strings of numbers or characters that don't have a logical order like passwords..

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]Which was thanksgiving for the US, most people had Wednesday - Sunday off. So really 1 day late boo hoo.[/citation]

Huffpost had it on the day...so....it's not NEWS when you report something 4 days later than other so called news sources.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Well, their blackberry messenger service is the best messenger in low internet speed country considering the blackberry has local server. And at 50% discount, of course almost all the cell phone traders will flock there. $200 discount may not be worth it for Americans to stand in line, but in Indonesia, that is more than a month's salary so go figure....

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]dstigue[/nom]Try Swype.. Or an alternative. I have an epic 4g and won't upgrade to any phone that doesn't have swype and my phone has a physical keyboard that I rarely use. It's only good fore serial keys or long strings of numbers or characters that don't have a logical order like passwords..[/citation]
Swype isn't available on the iOS right? Or am I mistaken?

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]cumi2k4[/nom]Well, their blackberry messenger service is the best messenger in low internet speed country considering the blackberry has local server. And at 50% discount, of course almost all the cell phone traders will flock there. $200 discount may not be worth it for Americans to stand in line, but in Indonesia, that is more than a month's salary so go figure....[/citation]
And people here are quite insane when it gets to discounts. I think it's kinda like Black Fridays in the US? Didn't it cause some trouble last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.