Robbers Using Electronics as Bait on Craigslist

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Old news. This has been happening since at least 2005. Even the local news stations here ran a few spots warning of this. I had two students (high school) get beat up and robbed by the guys they were trying to buy stuff from. They were even in a busy Walmart parking lot with the lot camera pointing right at them. Walmart refused to release the video since they "were not customers of Walmart and conducting unauthorized transactions on Walmart premises". Cops couldn't do anything about it.

ErrolDC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
People are plain stupid. When I sold my first thing on Craiglist (HTC HD2) made the deal so that it took place in broad daylight at a Panera Bread. I came into the place 1/2 hour early. I parked so that I could see completely around my vehicle. I sat in the middle of the restaurant surrounded by people.... In other words, if you thought you were robbing me, you would have to be the brazen robbery you ever pulled off.
I think "common" sense now needs to be renamed to "spectacular" sense or something that really describes how rare it is for people to actually have and use it (myself included at times!)

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
1st - Meet them during the day.
2nd - Meet them in a busy location where there would be lots of witnesses. The location I tyically meet people at is at a very busy and crowded, well lit gas station.

Don't meet someone when no-one else is around.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
i'd like them to try this crap on me. i'll have a gun with bullets laying in my car ready to be used, with my firearms license. but before that happens, they can definitely expect a good fight back. boy oh boy would that be fun.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Another reason you should carry 24/7 and always be aware of your surroundings. If you go meet someone and you stay in your car with your pistol on your lap then they would be at a huge disadvantage. I had some guy approach my truck one night in somewhat questionable part of town. It turned out he was just asking for change for the phone which I didn't have but I had my pistol in my right hand pointed at him through the door and then with my doors locked cracked the window to talk to him. Another thing you should always do is communicate to other people where you are going and then let them know the car and plate # of the people your meeting before pulling up close to them.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I only meet in busy parking lots while the store is still open or at rapid transit. It is stupid to have strangers come over to your own personal residence. They could come back when nobody is around and steal all your stuff or kill people that live there. Craigslist is a bad place so be careful.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]garyshome[/nom]The Police [and Federal Govt.]Protect Me, I'm not scared.[/citation]

bwahahha...they can't even protect themselves.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I've sold things on craigslist but never bought anything. I'm not concerned about selling from my home as they never step foot inside and god help them if they try to rob me when I am home and if I am not I have surveillance cameras on my property which will record them and no doubt be able to identify the car as well. (plus I memorize the plates of those who come and write it down)

What I would advise anyone to do is meet in a public place that is populated such as a coffee shop. Feel free to even offer them a cup of coffee. If they reject meeting in a public place that would be safe then don't take the risk even more so if they suggest a unsafe area. Also report any suspicious activity.

This sort of craigslist robbery is nothing new since the robbers will continue their greed they will continue to do it and follow a pattern except one of these times it going to be the police who respond to the ad and they will find themselves behind bars soon enough.

keoni67

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Ban boycott, whatever- Craigslist. its classifieds for scum and prostitutes. also free classifieds are destroying our local newspapers, plus if you have to pay to advertise your Items, your not running a scam.... think about it people! f-ing ban Craigslist!!!!

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
[citation][nom]keoni67[/nom]Ban boycott, whatever- Craigslist. its classifieds for scum and prostitutes. also free classifieds are destroying our local newspapers, plus if you have to pay to advertise your Items, your not running a scam.... think about it people! f-ing ban Craigslist!!!![/citation]
You know, it's a sad state, but this pretty much hits the nail on the head. I know there by far most ads there are legimate, decent people just trying to buy or sell. But because of the very nature of the thing, huge exposure over the net, and it's free, it is a literal breeding ground for trash and scum.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]As soon as "night" and "parking lot" came up together the victims should have dropped out of the deal.[/citation]
If they were that smart they would not have been victims :)

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Most intelligent people would first think "Hmm, night time, with my wife..not such a good idea." Come on, really? Think people, think!

Status
Not open for further replies.