Robot Garbage Man Only Comes When Called

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I love these robot articles. Although after seeing that video about the beer-fetching robot a few weeks ago, I'm concerned about the speed of these garbage-collecting robots as well. Any word on how fast they go? You might have to request pick-up a day in advance...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]THG[/nom]"Here, we have a smart robot in a smart environment; the robot 'talks' to its surroundings and the surroundings communicate back. This means the robot has access to a lot more information and computing power," Dario explained.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Skynet will use these robots to collect and transport compacted human to processing sites.[/citation]
Don't be ridiculous! This is clearly more of a Geth system of communal intelligence.

G

If I saw one of these, in my town, I would capture it and slowly torture it like that box droid in jabbas palace.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. It would take a hundred or more of these to match the capabilities of one garbage truck with two garbage men. After visiting two or three houses it would have to return to dump the trash. That would be a massive waste in energy and increase traffic compared to a garbage truck covering grids of a few hundred houses then heading back to unload and handle over 1000 homes a day. What about business with a lot of trash and recycling or bulky items? They would have to hire private trucks increasing traffic. Homeowners would also have to make more trips to the dump for bulky items which they currently pay a small fee for.

[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Experiments have been going on for years with a far better systems: a sort of garbage sewage system. Every street would be outfitted with a shaft in which you dump your garbage bags. A system similar to sewers than brings it to the place where it is recycled and burned. Expensive to install, but requires very little maintenance, is fast and requires little staff to operate.This would be ideal in urban centres. Smaller villages would continue to be served by traditional garbage trucks (these robots don't look as if they'd be able to serve a remote village either...)[/citation]

This could never work there are too many incompatible items that would constantly clog the system. Such as used steel, branches, batteries, appliances.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Experiments have been going on for years with a far better systems: a sort of garbage sewage system. Every street would be outfitted with a shaft in which you dump your garbage bags. A system similar to sewers than brings it to the place where it is recycled and burned. Expensive to install, but requires very little maintenance, is fast and requires little staff to operate.This would be ideal in urban centres. Smaller villages would continue to be served by traditional garbage trucks (these robots don't look as if they'd be able to serve a remote village either...)[/citation]
Do you have any idea how expensive that would be? even to install it in an all new neighborhood not to mention retrofitting a city with this. it would probably take a centurey to see a cost savings if it lasted that long

Status
Not open for further replies.