Rockstar Rumored as Nintendo Next-Gen Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
It will also contain a sample of Chuck Norris' DNA and bake small, cardboard flavored pastries and cakes using a 70 watt light bulb.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I will be thoroughly upset if Microsoft and Sony's next-gen consoles don't have at least 2GB of RAM. A Wii HD with 512mb will suffice until then.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
If we can get some more details, Ill buy it. Hopefully this "more powerful" unit is "significantly" more powerful than the current gen. Some devs have stated that it is...so we will see...

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nexus9113[/nom]It will also contain a sample of Chuck Norris' DNA and bake small, cardboard flavored pastries and cakes using a 70 watt light bulb.[/citation]
You forgot the kitchen sink :)

bpeglow

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
If all the rumors are true, then Nintendo lost it. Why would they put an HD screen on a controller when their freshly launched 3DS doesn't even have one.
Many developers have complained about PS3 and 360 not having enough RAM. So far it's looking like Nintendo's also going with 512MB. They'd put themselves way ahead if they at least did 1GB.
And R700? That's the Radeon 4xxx line, why not go with the 5xxx line at least for the GPU. They're more powerful, efficient, and Nintendo would have the advantage of DX11.
If they upped the RAM and GPU a little bit it would only add probably $50 to the price tag, but make it a much more powerful console.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
This is what i want out of WiiHD or Cafe. I never bought a wii because it was SD.
1: HD 1080p (3d would be nice)
2. 6-8 Core CPU running at 2.6-3.2 GHZ
3. 1GB Deciated Ram CPU
4. 1GB Deciated Ram GPU
5. Backwards Compatibly as far back as Gamecube
6. 320GB Min HDD
7. A Great launch game like Zelda or Mario or Metroid
9. A solid controller, not like them waving your arms in the air ones. I hate motion control, That being said your old wii controller should work it with out of the box to keep backwards compatibly
10. 3DS And WiiHD to work together is some way manor or form.

The controller/HD and amazing system specs are my main goals with it. The rest should fall into place.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I dont get it...arent the X360 and PS3 closer to the END of their lifecycles? Why would Nintendo design a console only to match their performance?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]bpeglow[/nom]If all the rumors are true, then Nintendo lost it. Why would they put an HD screen on a controller when their freshly launched 3DS doesn't even have one.Many developers have complained about PS3 and 360 not having enough RAM. So far it's looking like Nintendo's also going with 512MB. They'd put themselves way ahead if they at least did 1GB.And R700? That's the Radeon 4xxx line, why not go with the 5xxx line at least for the GPU. They're more powerful, efficient, and Nintendo would have the advantage of DX11.If they upped the RAM and GPU a little bit it would only add probably $50 to the price tag, but make it a much more powerful console.[/citation]

Completely agree with your post. We already have an xbox 360 with a triple core cpu and gpu with 512 ddr3 of ram, we don't need a slightly better duplicate without tessellation as a slap on at least...
This thing should have something similar to a 5830 1gb ddr5 at the least for dx11 as you said, 2 gigs of ram as a bare minimum and at LEAST a quad core.
If not then at this pathetic rate PC's will have 32 core cpus at 4+ ghz with clocks 4x more efficient than the current sandy bridge, logical or not wtv, and 200$ gpu's with 400 gb/s of bandwidth and for all we know nvidia and amd will have invented quad core gpu's with perfect scaling by the time the ps5 comes out.

Wishful thinking? I'd like to hope not :)

[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]I dont get it...arent the X360 and PS3 closer to the END of their lifecycles? Why would Nintendo design a console only to match their performance?[/citation]

To make hardcore gamers lol, that's really all I can think of...

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Although I whine needlessly that it doesn't look like it will be as powerful as I believe it should be, I will still probably get one to FINALLY hook up a console to my pc screen via hdmi and play my GC zelda games =D

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]I dont get it...arent the X360 and PS3 closer to the END of their lifecycles? Why would Nintendo design a console only to match their performance?[/citation]
because clearly pure processing power without innovation just drives up price and is not in high demand. as the PS3

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Did you guys choose that picture of Mario kicking SackBoy for the sole sake of inciting a flamewar? This article has nothing to do with the PS3, so why is the picture relevant?

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Also, please explain how you came to the conclusion that a triple core processor from this rumored system can possibly be faster than the eight core processor in the PS3.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
As long as the hardware runs well enough to play the games at 1080p, that's all that's really necessary. Consoles are meant to play on a television at those resolutions, they don't need to do any better. Even if PS3 CAN do 1080p and 3d, how many devs are actually putting out games at that resolution? There's about 20 1080p games, and most of them aren't even second tier titles.

Admittedly, the next gen Xbox/Playstation will likely have better hardware in a couple years, but when has hardware been the number one concern in consoles? If you want the best in graphics, stop playing consoles, the hardware will be outdated in a couple years anyway. PC is where you belong, just as long as you're willing to pay $500+. Nintendo can still woo hardcore gamers with good gameplay that doesn't involve spazzing in front of the screen. Gamers still like actual gameplay, right?

G

You guys who are arguing about the specs are missing the bigger picture. The specs don't mean crap it's all about the games. I still enjoy the old nes snes and n64 games as much as the newer stuff. If it's innovative and fun then I don't care. Nintendo is going the right route here I think with a very powerful machine if it matches the PS3 and 360 in power. It will be plenty powerful enough to make a killer mario game in hd ( mario galaxy 1 and 2 are beautiful in 480p ) if it has 512 meg of ram, triple core cpu, and a decent gpu. Just look at the 86 megs of ram in the wii and it has amazing games. Even more amazing is the ps2 with 32 megs of ram but it had some of the best games ever. I'm excited for this because I think the controller will feature some sort of inexpensive touch screen just to add some features to games as far as buttons and menus go ( think very fancy dreamcast VMU ) and I think it could incorporate something for virtual console games and mii's on the touch screen. Possibly even changing buttons positions for virtual console games on the screen. Either way nintendo will keep the machine at around $399.99 I believe (before 3ds at $249.99 I would have said $299.99 but let's face it the weak dollar makes this impossible) so I'm very excited for E3 because I know nintendo will suprise all of us.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nesmaniac[/nom]You guys who are arguing about the specs are missing the bigger picture. The specs don't mean crap it's all about the games..[/citation]

got that right the PSone was way weak on the hardware compared to the N64. this gen is a prime example of that. Microsoft has the money so all they had to do is make an inferior console and buy up all the game developers.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Can Rockstar make the next Zelda game?

Pretty please?

That way it won't be all gay and shitty like the last three (don't mention the CDi).

Status
Not open for further replies.