Question Roku and sound system Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2020
I have a roku streaming device (not the stick that goes directly into the hdmi port). It has 2 connections in the back of the little box for hdmi and power. I normally connect it directly to the tv. I have a Samsung sound system (with a blue ray disc player) that I want to hook up to the tv and roku. The back of the sound system has only one hdmi connection, an optical connection and the connection for the cord with the different colors (sorry I can't remember the name lol). Is it possible to have the roku sound go through the sound system? I do want the best sound possible. Any suggestions will be VERY much appreciated. Thank you so much! =)

1. Connect BD/HTS HDMI output to the HDMI/ARC input on the TV. That will get picture from the BD player to the TV and sound from the TV to the HTS. You may need to turn ARC on and the TV speakers off in the TV menu.
  2. Connect the Roku to another HDMI input of the TV.

3. If your TV and HTS don't both support ARC then you will also need to connect the TV optical audio output to the HTS optical input. This will get audio from the Roku through the TV to the HTS. You may have to turn the optical output on and the TV speakers off in the TV menu.

Reactions: Jackbrat412
Oct 21, 2020
I'm sorry but please forgive my ignorance....

What is BD/HTS? Also, I just remembered that my TV doesn't have an optical connection. Is it going to be possible to still do this? At this point (with older equipment), I will be glad to just be able to use the sound system.

Thank you SO much for your help!

1. Connect BD/HTS HDMI output to the HDMI/ARC input on the TV. That will get picture from the BD player to the TV and sound from the TV to the HTS. You may need to turn ARC on and the TV speakers off in the TV menu.
  2. Connect the Roku to another HDMI input of the TV.
3. If your TV and HTS don't both support ARC then you will also need to connect the TV optical audio output to the HTS optical input. This will get audio from the Roku through the TV to the HTS. You may have to turn the optical output on and the TV speakers off in the TV menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.