Roku to HDMI extractor

Oct 27, 2018
I have an old Yamaha HTR-6230 AV. I just got a roku. I also have an old Samsung 60 inch plasma 1080p. As you can not run 5.1 audio from the tv to the AV unit, I bought a DOTSTONE hdmi audio extractor with pass, 2.0 and 5.1 outs using a optical audio cable. Issue: can not get 5.1 when I stream netflix from roku. I get Pro Logic II. Ran a test using my PS3 WITHOUT the extractor. PS3 audio to AV unit with optical and HDMI to tv. All good, 5.1. Add extractor ( ps3 hdmi to extractor, optical to AV and second HDMI to tv, i get pro logic II no 5.1.) I have read that Netflix may not stream in 5.1. The extractor can handle most forms of Dolby. Any idea how I can make this work? I have not streamed Amazon Prime yet. The ideal set up is Roku to extractor, hdmi to tv and optical audio to AV. Any help would be great. And I know i could buy a new AV but money is an issue. I also know roku has an older ROKU 4 with optical out, I might try that. Thanks in advance for the help.

Some audio extractors have a switch to change from stereo to 5.1
Check the audio settings in the Roku. I suspect it's not set correctly because it is seeing the TV not the AVR. The PS3 would do the same.
Check the audio settings in your Netflix account if that doesn't help.
If your TV has a digital audio output (coax or optical) it probably can send 5.1 to the receiver. It need to be set to output in bitstream. Check the TV manual on how to turn it on. You may need to turn the TV speakers off too.

Oct 27, 2018
This did not work. The tv will only send 5.1 if connected by coaxle. I ran the roku via hdmi to audio extractor in. Then hdmi to tv and optical to audio receiver. I streamed a prime show that listed it as 5.1. I only get pro logic 2.0 sound. The extractor was set to 5.1. Any ideas?

Jan 20, 2019
I've read elsewhere, but on Netflix app etc, change sound format from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital, it may be a licensing prob with what HDMI sees as the last port.

Jan 31, 2019
I have a setup with an extractor, but use Amazon Firetv instead of Roku. From what I understand, Roku does not decode DD+. It is just a passthrough. If the audio signal is DD+, and you have an older receiver that does not decode DD+, you are not going to get 5.1 surround sound. I have noticed that in the case of the Amazon Firetv, there is an audio setting that decodes DD+ to Dolby Digital. My old Harman Kardon (although very high end with excellent sound) takes that decoded signal from the extractor and plays the sound in 5.1. Hopefully this helps.

TRENDING THREADS