RollBack Rx and macrium reflect

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I am a macrium reflect user.
Is RollBack Rx compatible? Is it a recommended solution, or perhaps a different "time machine" software?
I am running windows 10 pro x64 on SSD with GPT partitioning.
I tend to play around with my PC and often find myself restoring it from an image.

Solution
I doubt if Macrium could restore from a Rollback Rx image, or vice versa. They each use their own format.

But you can cause macrium to do this imaging automatically, on a schedule. I'm in the process of setting up my schedule again, but it will do a full drive image copy every night at 4AM. Unattended.

In case of need, recover from that.

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I'll tell you, rollback is really, really quick and convenient, both to make a snapshot and to restore it.

but I read some posts on malwaretips about TRIM and SSD, saying that rollback might prevent TRIM function.
So I uninstalled it.
then I restored, using MR.
(I first uninstalled, because rollback saves the snapshots on a hidden partition that MR might not be able to read. So I wanted to get that out of the way, first.)
MR first performed a TRIM function, which is pretty unusual in my experience and then proceeded to restore, by means of a full copy. Not the usual rapid restore after checking for changes. It took a very long time.
Rollback definitely did something with the SSD, I don't know what.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I doubt if Macrium could restore from a Rollback Rx image, or vice versa. They each use their own format.

But you can cause macrium to do this imaging automatically, on a schedule. I'm in the process of setting up my schedule again, but it will do a full drive image copy every night at 4AM. Unattended.

In case of need, recover from that.

Solution

LukeFatwalker

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015
I know this was 'resolved' but I had a ticket submitted with HDS (developers of Rollback) and they told me that the reason disk imagers don't work is because they can't capture all components of Rollback. They capture the windows client but not the subconsole and that this can cause issues, unless you repair the MBR.

I was told the best practise is to back up the system and Rollback with their disk imager (Drive Cloner Rx) because it can capture both components. I've tested this and can confirm this myself.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Having used Macrium Reflect to image the C drive, and then reconstitute that image to a different drive, and then verify it actually works, I'd expect that comment from the RollBack people to be just promoting their own product.

Have also used Macrium Reflect to do a direct clone from Drive A to Drive B. It works as advertised.

LukeFatwalker

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

Was there any additional steps needed? When I tried it gave me an unbootable image.

USAFRet

Illustrious

After a clone or image reconstitution, I put the new drive in the same SATA slot as the old drive was.
Not always required, but sometimes it makes a difference.

But no, no additional steps needed.

I'm using the 'image and then reconstituted' drive right now. Was done back in April.
Win 10 Pro.

LukeFatwalker

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

It's worth a shot. I mean I tried and I got a bad disk image, and the devs aren't wrong, but obviously if I can use my existing disk imager then even better.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If that image included all the relevant partitions (and it does by default), then it should work.
All I can relate is my personal experience. And it works no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.