Root-kit in bios

Apr 21, 2016
I have recently discovered malware on my pc that is undetectable and unremeovable by all anti viruses.

Not much has happened other than decreased gaming performance, inability to update windows or download windows 10 and inability to update bios, chipset drivers and install certain anti viruses.

I believe it to have infected the bios as it has endured a harddrive change and multiple os reinstalls.

I know installing a new bios chip could solve it but could installing a differant os from disk or usb work or would it stop it from installing/ continue to infect the pc?

Apr 21, 2016

Pretty much just all the stuff stated in the original post. It doesn't seem to have done anything with accounts ect. But my bank is empty anyway. It's the only explanation for the problems I listed that I can think of. The deciding factor was that I couldn't update windows or the bios due to errors stating that my pc might be infected.

If you can connect to the Net, there's a Microsoft "Fixit for me" that might cure the Update problem. Basically, all it does is to reset IE settings back to default and you can do that yourself in Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced tab> and click the Reset button.

What actually happens when you try to install, MalwareBytes, for example?

Apr 21, 2016

I deffinitely don't think it's just an updating problem. I first looked into this because of severe performance problems. Also malwarebytes installs but the scan goes through very quickly and finds nothing. Kaspersky however doesn't even install and the disk recovery thing doesn't work.