Rumor: Apple to Ditch Google Maps for Proprietary Maps App

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Like most trolls, you focus on things that don't matter to most people (Flash, flash and cameras) and then come up with excuses to show how they are "dealbreakers" and "huge show killers" to somehow make the iPad useless. Sorry, bud, but your extremely narrow requirements don't speak for the rest of us. [/citation]
Speaking of narrow minded and not speaking for everyone, please link the sources that state Flash doesn't matter to most people? There is still a huge percentage of the web that uses Flash. Regardless of how many security issues it has or how many people "claim" it crashes all the time, it is still the most popular content delivery plugin out there.

In other words, Flash may not matter to a bunch of narrow minded apple fanboys, but you are not "most people", so you can not speak for everyone.

Now like a typical fanboy you'll respond and say "If a site doesn't have html5 option, they suck anyway and I don't want to go there!" To which I will respond, keep convincing yourself you made the right choice in your overpriced purchase and nothing will ever be wrong, ever.

bigcatface

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
please link the sources that state Flash doesn't matter to most people? There is still a huge percentage of the web that uses Flash.
no. how about YOU link the sources that say flash does matter, and include the percentage of webpages that use it.
Flash is a piece of crap that crashes every 5 seconds. it's a small wonder that more OSs aren't not supporting it
and you really are a retard if you bought an iPad and didn't understand what i can and can't do. it was the 2nd model for God's sake, so you had at least 1 year to figure it out.
what were you doing? living at the bottom of the ocean or something?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bigcatface[/nom]no. how about YOU link the sources that say flash does matter, and include the percentage of webpages that use it.Flash is a piece of crap that crashes every 5 seconds. it's a small wonder that more OSs aren't not supporting itand you really are a retard if you bought an iPad and didn't understand what i can and can't do. it was the 2nd model for God's sake, so you had at least 1 year to figure it out.what were you doing? living at the bottom of the ocean or something?[/citation]
If your flash is crashing every 5 seconds, you need to get your computer looked at. Clearly you haven't a clue how to set one up and probably have it infested with viruses. I have many computers all of which run flash just fine without any crashes in many years. Our computers run 24/7 with browsers and tabs that have flash content open at all times.

Note: before you call somebody a retard, perhaps you should look at the names of who is replying. I never said I bought an ipad. I never have and never will. I have no use for a tablet of any brand at this point. I am commenting only on ericbumby's hypocritical comment when speaking for "most people" that Flash is not needed. If you want statistics, just try going to random websites with your beloved ipad and count the number of ones you can't view properly.

40% of 17,000 webites use Flash: http://httparchive.org/interesting.php#flash
34 of the TOP 100 websites have HTML5 support: http://www.binvisions.com/articles/how-many-percentage-web-sites-using-html5/

The Top 100 sites have the budget and reasons to convert to HTML5. You will be hard pressed to find articles showing a larger web statistic with HTML5 because the adoption rates will drop rapidly after leaving the high traffic top 100 sites as indicated by the Flash statistic I linked.

Now, if you want to visit only 34 of the top 100 sites and go no where else, then have fun on your iOS device.

I'm not denying HTML5 is taking over, I'm simply denying the claim that Flash is dead, dying or crashes every 5 seconds on your computer.

bigcatface

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
40% of 17,000 webites use Flash

i'll give you a hint: 40% is not a *huge* percentage in anybody's book. so you've made
yourself look stupid there.

and sorry, are the iOS devices physically incapable of visiting the other 66? no, it isn't. it just can't view the flash content, so unless the whole site is 100% flash based i'm pretty sure i'll get along fine, thanks.

and 'every 5 seconds' was clearly hyperbole, you're just making yourself look silly now.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bigcatface[/nom]i'll give you a hint: 40% is not a *huge* percentage in anybody's book. so you've made yourself look stupid there.and sorry, are the iOS devices physically incapable of visiting the other 66? no, it isn't. it just can't view the flash content, so unless the whole site is 100% flash based i'm pretty sure i'll get along fine, thanks.and 'every 5 seconds' was clearly hyperbole, you're just making yourself look silly now.[/citation]
6,800 out of 17,000 (40%) is not a significant number according to "bigcatface". Tell that to Google who has 41% of the mobile phone OS market with Apple at 27%. Tell that to the browser companies who fight over percentages in the 25-40% range. If I posted naked pics of your mom on 40% of websites out there, would you still say it wasn't a huge percentage?

So... you're saying that going to a half broken site because you can't view the flash content but can see the other stuff is perfectly acceptable? Personally if I go to a site and I want it to work properly, I like to have that option.

I wonder what you're going to say when somebody writes a terrible HTML5 website that crashes every 5 seconds. What will you blame it on then? When HTML5 finally reaches 40% of websites, will it still not be a significant number?

bigcatface

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
@ beayn: *ahem*
sig·nif·i·cant (sg-nf-knt) adj.Having or expressing a meaning; meaningful.

huge (hyj) adj.Of exceedingly great size, extent, or quantity

they are not even synonyms, you ignoramus. so i have no idea how you extracted that information.
i suggest before you comment again you take some courses to improve your cognative capacity; here's one that might suit your level: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

and when if find html code code is broken and crashtastic like flash i will blame you. happy?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bigcatface[/nom]@ beayn: *ahem*sig·nif·i·cant (sg-nf-knt) adj.Having or expressing a meaning; meaningful.huge (hyj) adj.Of exceedingly great size, extent, or quantitythey are not even synonyms, you ignoramus. so i have no idea how you extracted that information.i suggest before you comment again you take some courses to improve your cognative capacity; here's one that might suit your level: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htmand when if find html code code is broken and crashtastic like flash i will blame you. happy?[/citation]
This coming from the person who thought I bought an ipad...

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
This is good. I went from Android to a 4S and the ONLY thing I miss about Android was Google Maps for real-time turn by turn directions. The GM implementation (in terms of GPS directions) on iOS is practically useless. It will give you list of turns you need to make, instead of real-time turn-by-turn. It's kind of like printing out a mapquest set of directions at home before getting in your car (like we did in the "olden" days).

But that's not entirely Apple's fault. That's Google giving Apple a (comparatively) reduced functionality app (which is understandable since they're competitors).

Personally...I'd rather that Apple and Google strike some kind of deal where iOS gets the same Google Maps as Android, but that will likely not happen. But as long as the forthcoming Maps is on par with Google Maps for real-time turn-by-turn, I'll be satisfied. "There's an app for that" falls short when it comes to turn by turn GPS on iOS. There are a few apps, but they have poor reviews and/or want a subscription fee to remain functional. I really like my 4S, but the lack of a beefy no-cost real-time GPS app is annoying. Not enough to make me switch back to Android, but still very annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS