Rumor: Apple Working on iPad 'HD' With Retina

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I'd be pissed if I just bought an iPad2 and then they release this a few months later. if it were any other company you might expect there to be constant changes, but Apple usually waits at least a year before coming up with such big improvements.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
That screen would be completely wasted on an iPad, or almost any tablet for that matter. I have an old 15" notebook with 1600x1200 resolution and I'd kill for a screen of that resolution in the same package, it's great for getting multi-tasking oriented work done.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
only issue is with many mobile devices, apple tends to increase the size of everything along with the resolution, so things look smoother but the extra resolution will do nothing for adding screen space.

G

Higher resolution is one thing I'm really wishing for as webpages with ie. ads become almost unreadable unless I stretch the screen. It becomes really annoying to do that for every other page.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]tomrippity02[/nom]I'd be pissed if I just bought an iPad2 and then they release this a few months later. [/citation]
I'm betting there will be enough of a price difference to keep these two on separate playing fields. This looks like the model you want if images and/or video is important to your career.

[citation][nom]td854[/nom]That screen would be completely wasted on an iPad, or almost any tablet for that matter. [/citation]
As long as the GPU can feed it properly, it won't be wasted on photographers who are already using the iPad as a proofing screen, editor, and digital portfolio.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]I'm betting there will be enough of a price difference to keep these two on separate playing fields. [/citation]

Doubtful. Even if it were a hundred dollars more, a lot of people who buy iPads have money to burn. A friend of mine got the cheapest iPad, not because of the money, but because he didn't think he needed all of the space, but if he thought the screen were much better, he might still have paid and the extra space would have been a nice added feature.

Also, people love watching movies and view photography or playing games on the iPad and all of those would benefit from a high resolution right? If so, its not just for professionals.

G

[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]I'm betting there will be enough of a price difference to keep these two on separate playing fields. This looks like the model you want if images and/or video is important to your career.As long as the GPU can feed it properly, it won't be wasted on photographers who are already using the iPad as a proofing screen, editor, and digital portfolio.[/citation]

I understand your point that there are two types of buyers: one will want the HD and one the regular screen, but I think tomrippity02 logic was that of an enthusiast with a budget. If someone saved up and bought an iPad 2 and the HD version was released, that person was a tangible $100 way from buying that product (And would of spent it). Now if they want that HD iPad they're set back the price of the iPad plus the $100 extra to get the iPad 2 HD.

I personally would of been PO'd if Apple releases an iPad 2 HD so close to the Pad 2 release.

That's why I love it when product road maps are leaked or released. I can logically plan what device i'm going to buy.

G

[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]That high of a resolution on a small screen is idiotic.[/citation]

I agree and disagree, from the stand point we don't have higher resolution desktop screens that are in the common dimensions, but we do hold smartphones much closer to our eyes than we do with desktop screens and even farther with HD TVs.

S J W

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
No its true. This ridiculous resolution is just fantasy, as what on earth would the point of it? What possibly real life practical applications would need such a high resolution? It will be merely a stupid number for idiots to gloat about how superior there pad is over other peoples.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
anyone else thing that its sick that a 10 inch screen, and what is basically a full computer, will get a resolution close to 2560x1600 for about 500$ (possibly a bit more), when i have a 24 inch computer monitor, and the best you can get for under 1000$ is 1920x1200?

S J W

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
NO? Its not sick at all? Its like saying your BMW has the ability to go 300mph, but the wheels will only go up to 150mph before falling apart. Its just bragging rights. This resolution is completely useless, as you won't even the see the extra resolution in effect, as the screen size is too small!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i don't really care what the apple haters and fanboys say, or that the "resolution is insignificant on a device that small"

if that mentally was true, we'd all be stuck on 320x240 screens. bigger resolutions for the win!!! sharper clearer, more detail! even if it's too small to notice, GIVE ME MOREEEE.

but bring it to my desktop computer for cheap first? kk thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.