Rumor: Blu-ray Licensing May Delay Next Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
MS. should have designed the new Xbox to use it's own HD DVD format, it would be more than sufficient for game playing. Why would they bother putting in a bluray drive if they refuse to pay the licensing fee's to Sony for movie play back and plan to keep it non fictional in their new Console. As always Microsoft get's caught with their pants down and have to scramble at the end to throw something together just to save face. I wonder if we will ever see the day where MS. actually takes the lead and shows other company's how it's done, instead of always being a follower?????

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
MS. should have designed the new Xbox to use it's own HD DVD format, it would be more than sufficient for game playing. Why would they bother putting in a bluray drive if they refuse to pay the licensing fee's to Sony for movie play back and plan to keep it non fictional in their new Console. As always Microsoft get's caught with their pants down and have to scramble at the end to throw something together just to save face. I wonder if we will ever see the day where MS. actually takes the lead and shows other company's how it's done, instead of always being a follower?????

takk78

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
I would say ship it with a Blu-Ray drive, but just have all Blu-Ray functionality disabled in firmware until Sonys exclusivity deal is up. Keep using DVDs till then as there won't be many titles available till next year anyway. Is it a Blu-Ray drive if it can't play anything on Blu-Ray?

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
How did Sony get some exclusive rights to a Bluray drive in a console for like 6 years now? I dont recall ever even hearing about that over the course of this generation until now, will have to wait and see but thats pretty BS if its true and no one even knew about it

Elwenil

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Fact is Microsoft have to do something about their disc storage capacity this next generation. Their use of DVD held back the whole generation since developers make most games to the lowest common denominator. The 50GB of storage on a BluRay is one of the reasons PS3 exclusives are typical much larger and better games than Microsoft exclusives. Multiple discs and installing to the HDD are a few of the ways they tried to get around it but in the end it was too little, too late. And sorry, but HD DVD is not going to cut it. MS need something to boost their storage capacity for the next gen just to keep up. So they either license BluRay or they try something else. They obviously don't want to spend the time and money to develop their own media and drives so they have to use something off the shelf, so to speak. I honestly thought they may try to go with some sort of flash based media similar to a USB drive but a lot of people may see that as a reversion to "cartridges" . But either way, they have to do something and right now BluRay seems to be the only real solution for them to use.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Highly anticipated console? Really? With all the horrid rumors circulating making this thing sound like a giant DRM Brick, I don't think it's that anticipated at all. I enjoyed my Xbox and my 360 but I don't know that I'll pick this next one up, blu-ray or no.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
@hakesterman, HD DVD is not a microsoft format, they just happened to release an external HD DVD drive for the xbox 360 at one point. It was a Toshiba/NEC product. It's also not just as easy as reviving a dead format, since the costs would be higher to restart production on HD DVD lasers and disks instead of using Blu-ray which is in full production now.
@STravis It is for the ever increasing size of games. If they don't move to something like Blu-ray, games are going to have to come on multiple disks and require installation on a hard drive.. Otherwise you will end up with the same thing that happened with games like Final Fantasy XIII, lower res cinematics and more highly compressed audio as well as other compromises to not have to use so many disks.

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
I dont get why online kills this console for people? Do you currently have Xbox Live? I've had Xbox Live since the first Xbox came out and my console is always connected to the internet, nothing will really change there and its still all speculation and rumor about what online required really means, I love how people have already made up their mind based on bias and unsupported rumors, wait till MS actually tells us something at the end of the month, if everything ends up being true then you can hate and not give them money all you want to but why dont you all cool down until something is officially stated by MS?

Ninjamonkeh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I have seen online always failing first hand twice already. As for jumping the gun , one of their ppl spilled the beans on twitter while talking crap on anyone that didnt like online all the time. Though there are multiple reason ppl are upset at this, to name a few. Service men and women outside the us w/o internet connection, Ppl in areas that have poor to no internet connections ( there are ppl i work with that still use dial up because there is no other option out in the country where they live). People that have pay by usage internet service. At the end of the day its my money and I can spend it or not spend it anyway I want for any reason.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Heaven forbid the drive be modular and replaceable for those times where there are issues, such as what happened with the 360 optical drive failures. Just make an easily swappable optical drive module and release the console with whatever you can, then upgrade the thing when you see fit.

G

Sounds like Microsoft missed the boat and now paying for it. The next gen is only next gen to current console only fanboys ages 12-25. Us adult gamers play on a platform thats always upgradeable and stays current gen as long as you just add new parts.

G

Sounds like Microsoft missed the boat and now paying for it. The next gen is only next gen to current console only fanboys ages 12-25. Us adult gamers play on a platform thats always upgradeable and stays current gen as long as you just add new parts.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Microsoft does own the rights to the 51GB HDDVD discs and drives. Why can't they use those? Then they wouldn't have to pay royalties to Sony for the bluray use.

Status
Not open for further replies.