Rumor: Blu-ray Licensing May Delay Next Xbox

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Surprised they aren't going with HD-DVD. Serious. It's the same manufacturing process as regular DVDs, just upgraded. All they would have to do is upgrade one of their DVD manufacturing facilities, or outsource it to a company who was willing to do it. BAM!!! No licensing issues with the Blu-ray Disc Association (mainly Sony.)

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
What do they care? I thought you couldn't play anything without an always on internet connection. Go and let their customers download everything then. If I was part of the Blu-ray consortium (say Sony), I would seriously think about licensing to a company that supported a rival consortium that almost drove Blu-ray out of existence. Even if you can't block it, at least try and block the deal for 6 months or so so that you get the head start this time round. HD-DVD indeed, pah!

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
What do they care? I thought you couldn't play anything without an always on internet connection. Go and let their customers download everything then. If I was part of the Blu-ray consortium (say Sony), I would seriously think about licensing to a company that supported a rival consortium that almost drove Blu-ray out of existence. Even if you can't block it, at least try and block the deal for 6 months or so so that you get the head start this time round. HD-DVD indeed, pah!

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
They are going to market Xbox Infinity as an end all be all multimedia box for the living room.
Not having Blu-ray is going to dent that claim a lot.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Surprised they aren't going with HD-DVD. Serious. It's the same manufacturing process as regular DVDs, just upgraded. All they would have to do is upgrade one of their DVD manufacturing facilities, or outsource it to a company who was willing to do it. BAM!!! No licensing issues with the Blu-ray Disc Association (mainly Sony.)

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
If they plan on having an always "online" console they should just skip the optical all together and just go with streaming ideas. Download essentials and first level and while the rest is downloading you can play each level as they become available.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"That said, Microsoft may be delaying the Xbox Infinity so it doesn't follow Nintendo and the poor sales the Japanese company has seen since the beginning of the year."
Oh, you...Just had to get the unrelated "Nintendo's doing badly!" in there somewhere? It's not like people haven't been saying that since the N64 anyway. The thing is the Wii U's problem is games, and any delays in either of these new consoles are going to give the Wii U an opportunity to push a better 1st party lineup and perhaps entice some 3rd parties this holiday. Even Sony had "wanted" to push ps4 in 2014 and rushed forward to compete with MS. Seems neither one of them is ready to go.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
What's up with all the double posts in here?
MSFT wants the blu-ray drive so they can offer blu-ray movie play back, which was seen as a huge advantage for the PS3 when it was released. Also, this is the problem with a Sony developed format. They will always use their tech in a way that will screw everyone else. They tried to do it with Beta back in the 80's. I still don't know why blu-ray succeeded when the industry knew Sony would pull this crap one day.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
They should seriously consider going with BDXL. I'm really tired of low resolution with and compression artifacts filled cinematics. With BDXL they can probably go up to high bitrate 4k and still have lots of space for game files.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
As if MS is going to tell some store chain why there console is going to be delayed.
MS has had the new xbox in the works for years and i am sure they have the B-ray thing sorted out.

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Isn't this supposed to be 50% game console, 50% home entertainment center? They'd have a heck of a time doing that with some proprietary disk format.

Timmy225

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
MS said their next crapbox would store the games on the HD now we know why. MS, to cheap to include the Blue Ray license so they will sell it with the drive crippled and the MS tools will have to put up extra cash to enable it on their own. The little MS fanboys won't care, they enjoy paying a fee to play online too and will gladly allow MS/FED spy on them with the alway on internet and camera too. Oh and good luck selling or buying any used games for the next Crapbox too, tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.