Rumor: Cisco May Consider Selling Linksys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Both my routers say otherwise. They have both served me well during their lifetimes with no trouble at all. I got this new one, because it's wireless speed and range was top notch. It actually beats my old WRT54G with external antennas on range.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Has, may i ask which router you're talking about? I have been using my WRT54GL for years without ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. The damn thing has been on the whole time without any reboots (except for a couple power outages)

Unfortunately the 54Mbps speeds are starting to not be enough :)

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
good, i hate both Linksys and Dlink, they better go bankrupt for selling crappy quality products. I bought Dlink and it only lasted me 1.2 year and then switched to Linksys, same thing. Funny thing is, my $15 trendnet router (bought it on boxing day) has been working ever since 05.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Linksys Wireless G modems worked a treat...
Wireless N however... I have never seen a good brand release such shitty overpriced products. Issues ranging from
- Products with no 64-bit drivers
- Having to power down the router because all connections via wireless cannot connect to internet (but wired ones still can)
- Poor ADSL chipset

Ugh, bye Linksys, less customers calling me because their internet doesnt work.

Oh, and DONT COME BACK

glorfendel

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
The best is the RV routers new firmware new features = cool firewall with block all rule that does not do anything opening all ports to the world. linksys\cisco "its a feature why would you want to block everything ?"

What happened I still have a befsr81 from 1999 that still works and better then most you can get today. yet a $200 N routers last 9 months and dont have bridge mode.

If you are not going to do it right don't do it at all.

Cant say anything else in the soho market is any better.

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
most linksys router/dsl modem have firmware bugs or maybe we can say that is the hardware limitation..
some of bugs :
- blank admin page
- poor wireless-N performance
- bad QoS system (when QoS actived it will just slow down all connection)
and many more

what sucks is, even we know that not real wireless-N, but at least a good product should give same performance with it enable/disable, but not Linksys product
every time we enable wireless N, wifi connection become crappy
so setting it to B/G mode is the only solution

linksys didn't try to improve and just leaving like that... you can check their forum
its basically leaving all user, with their buggy firmware

also their wifi range is really poor!
the only good things is i kinda liked their UFO-look like design, it sleeks compared to other boxy router

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Ive always liked their stuff, Never had many problems with the equipment its self, FAR superior to anything of the other piles of crap making life so difficult in my country, If i see another god damn Thomson I'm going to smash the thing.

Have to wonder though, What major company would buy Linksys other than these equity firms... Seems to have a pretty good fit with Cisco, Although there are certainly a few things they should be able to do better.

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I put a Linksys wireless router in my mother's house almost 7 years ago and have really never had to touch it. The routers are like Maytag washing machines...they just work. The wireless cards, on the other hand, have been a pain.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]good, i hate both Linksys and Dlink, they better go bankrupt for selling crappy quality products. I bought Dlink and it only lasted me 1.2 year and then switched to Linksys, same thing. Funny thing is, my $15 trendnet router (bought it on boxing day) has been working ever since 05.[/citation]
Exact opposite experience for me. I've owned 4 Dlink products and a Linksys product over the years and none of them have died. The Linksys router seems to slow to a crawl unless I reload the firmware ever so often (and by that I mean once a year), but the Dlink products have been perfect. My two Trendnet products have died within 6 months.

But now my main router is a Apple Airport Extreme that I got for super cheap at a garage sale, and that thing is, *sigh*, honestly the BEST router I have ever used (minus the Cisco enterprise class routers I use at work, but those don't count).

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Linksys hardware is great but software wise it sucks big time, its why we have to put dd-wrt on all devices to get them to work at peak performance.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Cisco should've never acquired Linkshyt to begin with. I had a Linkshyt router once and I threw it away. I couldn't do anything to save its life. Went back to D-Link...a sure thing.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I have a Linksys E3000 router and after I flashed the firmware with the DD-WRT firmware it was even better. Decent hardware let down by poor software.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Linksys was good, I emphasize was. It seems that the marriage to cisco was a bad deal.

Anyways, I have 2 WRT54Gs chugging away still. Best damn modem out there.
I got a WRT610n when it first came out and I wanted to shoot the damn thing.
The 5ghz radio is a joke, it kicks my wireless every so once in a while(started a fight between me and my wife one time even) I HAD to put DD-WRT on it just to get some use out of it....

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Linksys was good, I emphasize was. It seems that the marriage to cisco was a bad deal.Anyways, I have 2 WRT54Gs chugging away still. Best damn router out there.I got a WRT610n when it first came out and I wanted to shoot the damn thing.The 5ghz radio is a joke, it kicks my wireless every so once in a while(started a fight between me and my wife one time even) I HAD to put DD-WRT on it just to get some use out of it....[/citation]

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]"Remember Skype and its $8.5 billion acquisition by Microsoft?"Yes, I remember last week.[/citation]
lol, I was thinking the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.