Rumor: iPad 2 Design Similar to iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I skipped the first iPad since it's "beta". Might get this one if it's priced reasonably. Hell, what am I talking about, everything they sell are overpriced but still good hardware.

Darkk

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Given the original iPad was just an iPod Touch 3rd gen with added growth hormone, it only makes sense the iPad 2 will be similar to the iPod Touch 4th gen. Is there actual news in the article?

On a more serious note, it still suffers from the old issues. The absence of USB makes serious productivity impossible (okay, there's a dock, but it's not as convenient as a generic keyboard) and the lack of HDMI or DisplayPort prevents what would be an excellent device for presentations from truly delivering.

The iPad's a great toy, but I'll take an Ubuntu Tablet any day. Faster than Windows, yet more functional than iOS. Okay, there aren't any farting apps, but I guess I can live with that.

G

Best POS I've bought on a while...remember you're comparing apples to apples...

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Honestly, I would still be interested in Apple's products if they focused on adding more usable hardware features instead of slimming it down every time. How about USB? HDMI? Anything?

This is still a niche product. It replaces neither Laptops nor cell phones, nor does it even have the versatility of a $250 netbook.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]taurine[/nom]iPad 2 is a iPad with a different back and speaker. Will sell millions to replace original iPads.Lemmings.[/citation]
Faster cpu, better screen, more ram... But hey, keep living in that 'Apple is too expensive for me, therefore it sucks'.

taurine

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
[citation][nom]lejay[/nom]Faster cpu, better screen, more ram... But hey, keep living in that 'Apple is too expensive for me, therefore it sucks'.[/citation]

Hardly. It sucks cause it can't run flash, it doesn't have USB ports or an SD slot. You do make a good point though, it is WAY overpriced.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I think that Apple is making a bigger issue with the size of the package over functionality and at the same time keeping the price very high. This is why people are saying it "sucks". If the following were in the iPad 2 I would happily buy it...

1. USB
2. HDMI
3. Removable SD card
4. Removable Battery
5. DNLA (video streaming)
6. Drop the price into the $300-$400 range

* My droid x does all this stuff and its a cell phone, which means it could easily fit in the iPad without increasing weight and my Droid X cost less than the iPad, the smaller you go the more expensive so why is the iPad so expensive.

You might say that the cost is not possible for what the device can do, but that is how consumer electronics work. Blue-ray players were $1000 when they first came out and are now less than $100 without loss of functionality. This is the major argument with Apple, they release hardware in increments with little or no decrease in the cost. Other manufacturers will build similar hardware with more flexibility and features and charge less but people buy into the Apple hype because its cool. Many technical individuals look for functionality over aesthetics and it just does not fit with us to see something that there is not huge technical gap from other hardware. In the next 6 months you will see so many tablets on the market, and a good number of them will have the quality, functionality and aesthetics as the iPad and will cost less. Be interesting to see what happens in the market.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
@everygamer.

You dont need a contract for iPad, and you do for the Droid. When you look at it, you pay a hell of a lot more for your Droid than what they charge for the iPad.
When you look at the Android tablets, it looks quite affordable. Better battery life and lighter than any of the other tablets.
From everything you listed I only agree that we need :
1. USB
and,
3. Removable SD card

The other things are garbage, or overrated, or not needed.

zholy

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
dude, that's just rumor, and not the offical info. Now let's hope 2011 can be just as extraordinary! Everything you need to know about iPad:http://www.aneesoft.com/tutorials/ipad/index.html

G

@zholy

You do need a contract to use the Ipad on a 3G network. I'm sure you need a contract to operate any device on a carriers 3G network. WiFi however is free in certain cases. Please explain what Droid device you are referencing that costs more than anyone of the 6 Ipad configurations.

And to the person who wrote that the Ipad doesn't fill and need, I can see your very logical and valid point. But Apple fanboys will not and refuse to think before buying thereby perpetuating this endless cycle of Apple over pricing their hardware. $800 for real Steve? Add HDMI, USB 3.0, removable ram and maybe you have a supreme winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.