Rumor: iPhone 5 Prototype Points to 1GB of RAM, Faster CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Apple can't keep putting 800MHz processors in their phones. Samsung is coming out with a 2GHz Exynos dual-core soon! Come summer, and we'll have 1.5GHz-2GHz quad-cores in phones! Also, I agree with calling it the iPhone 6.[/citation]

Clock speed is only one factor in performance. Linearly increasing clock frequency (say, doubling it from 1GHz to 2GHz) will increase power usage in a more exponential manner (it will use more than twice as much power despite having only about twice as much performance). A higher clock speed is only relative to higher performance for the same CPU.

For example, a P4 at 3GHz will have a near 33% jump in performance going from 3GHz to 4GHz (an ~33% jump in clock frequency), but all of that clock speed isn't enough for it to not be hammered by a 1.6GHz Sandy Bridge Celeron.

How does this apply to mobile CPUs? Well, in the exact same way. A Cortex A15 dual core at 2GHz will hammer a quad core 1.5GHz Coretex A9 because the A15 has vastly superior IPC (Instructions per clock, aka performance per Hz) due to it being a superior architecture.

A dual core Cortex A15 at 800MHz will probably not be better than a quad core Tegra 3 (Cortex A9) at 1.5GHz or so, but it will be better than a dual core Cortex A9 1.5GHz dual core CPU. TI has a CPU that is about 3 times faster than Cortex A9 at the same clock frequency, so if the A5X is anything like that, it will be about 75% of the Tegra 3's full CPU performance, except as a dual core with a much lower frequency (and thus power usage and cost) and thus is more easily loaded up with Android apps because it has fewer threads to worry about to keep performance at maximum efficiency.

Moving on from that, we might be seeing Androids with monstrously fast processors, but this is an iPhone here, not an Android. Most users of either camp won't utilize such processing power on these devices, especially on the iPhone side, so it would not be surprising to me nor even really a bad thing to see the next iPhone an under-performer compared to the Androids. I would never buy any of the iPhones regardless unless I had to for some reason, but please consider the context here.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]Um, no.It's called the iPhone 5 because 4 comes after 5. Did you complain when the iPhone 3G was released and NOT called the iPhone 2?[/citation]

If you are going to reply, at least make a point. Nearest I can guess, you're trying to say the next iphone should be 5 because apple wouldn't skip a number. Problem with that is they did skip both 2 and 3 when they named the iPhone 4. So there goes that theory.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]iPhone 5 would indicate a whole new device, the 4S was (like the 3GS) an improvement only.[/citation]

As I pointed out initially, Apple counted the 3GS as its own generation when naming the iPhone 4.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]Why does everyone call it iphone 5? Iphone 4 was the first numbered iphone and was so named because it was the fourth iphone:iPhoneiPhone 3giPhone 3gsiPhone 4iPhone 4sWe are due for the iphone 6.[/citation]

Pretty sure if we follow the pattern here... we're due for an iPhone 4g.

jik

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]No, it's not. The 4S is the fifth iPhone to be released.The 3G name meant the phone was 3G capable, the 3GS was an improvement. The iPhone 4 was a completely new device and just so happened to be the 4th model to come out, so the increased version number fit nicely. iPhone 5 would indicate a whole new device, the 4S was (like the 3GS) an improvement only.The new iPhone is going to be a new device once again, so the model number is going to change. Yes, it's the sixth model so "iPhone 6" fits, but it just sounds weird to miss out 5. Also it then sets a weird precedent if you only get even-numbered phones because the improvements/refreshes get a "S" suffix.Think of it as iPhone "version" 5 - just makes more sense.But why the hell am I debating the name of an Apple product? It's only a bloody iPhone![/citation]
So its okay to skip 2 but not 5?

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]jik[/nom]So its okay to skip 2 but not 5?[/citation]

Yes, yes it is. When the 2 came out, no naming convention had been established. They therefore decided to call it the 3G (for obvious reasons). Then the 3GS came out which was an evolution of the 3G, so didn't deserve a 4. When they developed the 4, they needed a new name. It just so happens that it was the 4th iteration as well as 4 being the name they wanted to indicate that it was a newer morel. At this point they clearly elected an 'indexing' name structure, but it's an index of absolutely new models rather than iterations, and obviously missing the 2 due to their aforementioned decision. In other words, it isn't the 4th phone, it's actually the third, but called the '4' to indicate that it's newer than the 3GS. This is evidenced by the fact that the iPhone 4S should have been called iPhone 5 if your logic was true. The new iPhone will be the 4th 'model' of iPhone, and since they missed out '2' it will most likely be named the iPhone 5. The 7th 'ITERATION' will then likely be called the iPhone 5S.

It's painfully obvious to any impartial observer that the new phone will NOT be called the iPhone 6. Whether it's called the iPhone 5, or just 'the new iPhone' like the iPad remains to be seen, but they will not call it 6, and nor should they.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Now that is real magical innovation. I gig of ram. Truly impressed with Apple. That is way up there with having invented mp3 players with the introduction of the iPod. I am sure we will be hearing about it for years to come.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]Um, no.It's called the iPhone 5 because 4 comes after 5. ..[/citation]
That makes perfect sense ( 4 comes after 5...), clear as mud.

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Now that is real magical innovation. I gig of ram. Truly impressed with Apple. That is way up there with having invented mp3 players with the introduction of the iPod. I am sure we will be hearing about it for years to come.[/citation]

This is a rumour, not from Apple.

As it stands, nobody even to date has matched the GPU in the iPhone 4S, which was released 6 months ago. Perhaps some of your 'magical' Android manufacturers should catch up soon?

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]Why does everyone call it iphone 5? Iphone 4 was the first numbered iphone and was so named because it was the fourth iphone:iPhoneiPhone 3giPhone 3gsiPhone 4iPhone 4sWe are due for the iphone 6.[/citation]

If anything, it should be the iPhone 4G. Since it will be LTE.

maximus81

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I really wish these companies would start throwing money at battery development. If A phone could last a week on a single charge I would be in line to buy it. I wouldn't care if it was Apple or Google but keep making them faster and faster and worse battery life than before.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I wonder if the A5X will post better performance on the iPhone5 than in the iPad3, since there's less pixels for it to drive in the iPhone display. Which means we might see the handheld outperform the tablet brother.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]testerguy[/nom]This is a rumour, not from Apple.As it stands, nobody even to date has matched the GPU in the iPhone 4S, which was released 6 months ago. Perhaps some of your 'magical' Android manufacturers should catch up soon?[/citation]

Most of the Android manufacturers that make CPUs are going to be releasing their new CPUs this year, so that won't stay that way for long. Also, when was the last time that an iPhone had the CPU power that the top Androids have? GPU isn't everything. Androids tend to have more memory capacity and a faster CPU than the competing iPhones.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I wonder if the A5X will post better performance on the iPhone5 than in the iPad3, since there's less pixels for it to drive in the iPhone display. Which means we might see the handheld outperform the tablet brother.[/citation]

The iPhone *5* would need to have it's A5X under-clocked compared to the iPad 3 too. Besides, that doesn't mean it's outperforming it. That's like saying that the RAdeon 6970 outperformsthe 7970 because the 6970 is being used at 1080p whiles the 7970 is used at 1440p. The 6970 would have the higher frame rates, but it doesn't outperform the 7970. Frame rates aren't everything. The 7970's picture quality would be significantly greater despite lower FPS.

Besides that, we don't know the resolution of the new iPhone's screen, so the decrease in performance might be tailored to the decrease in resolution to keep FPS the same, or at least similar to the iPad 3.

bch

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Regarding the naming issue, did you ever think about naming adopted by microsoft?
Windows 7 should really be called windows 6.1 or windows Vista Second Editon :-D

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]So.. Somehow they want to fit a chip that requires a 40W/h battery for long battery life into a phone? Does anybody else see a problem here?Unless they downclock that puppy quite a bit or employ some serious power saving technology, they won't be getting close to the battery life of their last iPhone.[/citation]
Its not the chip that requires that much power, its the display on the iPad that requires that battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.