Rumor: iPhone 5 to have 4-inch Display, New Dock Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmi86

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
A new dock connector ? So does that mean it is still completely incompatible with 99.999% of the connection standards on the planet ? Of course it does, its apple.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
If they change the dock they should move to usb, like the rest of the world...but i suppose that runs the risk of not being able to price gouge for everything.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]heffeque[/nom]What about the micro-USB port standard? Shees! Can't they just all use THAT and that's it?[/citation]
Micro usb can not push video, but thats ok you know all.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]This would kill their backward compatibility. I'm sure angering a bunch of people isn't the wise choice.[/citation]
Then clearly, Apple don't make many wise choices then do they?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]jldevoy[/nom]If they change the dock they should move to usb, like the rest of the world...but i suppose that runs the risk of not being able to price gouge for everything.[/citation]

[Apple] What can we do to increase our profit margin?..... I know, lets screw all the people who invested in ipod compatible electronics, and create a new dock so they are forced to buy all new stuff... (evil laugh)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]Fact: Iphone 5 still as bad as iphone 4S[/citation]
fact: you don't know that[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]I think it's unlikely that it will have a different dock connector.[/citation]
probably not. the current one is thing regardless[citation][nom]CMI86[/nom]A new dock connector ? So does that mean it is still completely incompatible with 99.999% of the connection standards on the planet ? Of course it does, its apple.[/citation]
sony does the same shi-. it's stupid and i hate it. proprietary connections should not be allowed[citation][nom]heffeque[/nom]What about the micro-USB port standard? Shees! Can't they just all use THAT and that's it?[/citation]
100% agree[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]This would kill their backward compatibility. I'm sure angering a bunch of people isn't the wise choice.[/citation]
i think most people wouldn't care considering its apple and they usually bundle the needed connections[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Then clearly, Apple don't make many wise choices then do they?[/citation]of course not, it's not like they're a multi-billion dollar corporation or anything like that

gray_fox_98

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
The new connector is likely to use Thunderbolt technology as apple as filled patent regarding this a couple of months ago.

Because of new EU legislation , they will have to supply an USB adapter for their cable so that Charger is similar to the newest phones.
This will mean faster speeds between iTunes sync sessions and new of possibilities when connecting multiple devices trough this system. (on MAC's.)
BTW , there will be Thunderbolt motherboards and PCI express cars available soon too.
Regarding the size:
I think 4.3 inches is the perfect size for a phone , any thing bigger than that is just silly.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I don't think this mock-up is what we'll see. ...and I doubt they'll change the dock connector. Personally, I'd like to see a bigger screen, but not just a longer one.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I would hope they do NOT change the dock connector.

Even the small change they made in the past(to remove firewire and its charging over firewire) caused some issues for users who had devices that charged in that manner and not by the USB charge pins.

But then again, that did allow selling of an adapter(that needs power) to keep your old dock devices and as such, more money.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Amazing magical innovation. While they are at it they should patent the idea of using 4 inch screens and the rectangle.

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Amazing magical innovation. While they are at it they should patent the idea of using 4 inch screens and the rectangle.[/citation]

I hope you found Samsung's use of screen size, duplication of old camera technology, half as fast GPU and Voice control 'magical innovation' too...

Status
Not open for further replies.