Rumor: Jobs Scrapped the iPhone 5 Shortly Before Launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Better/bigger screen with a worse battery and a less powerful GPU. Good luck with that.[/citation]

GTFO troll... I don't need over 9000 fps in Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja, unlike you. Full HD playback is smooth and browser is good, I checked. What other GPU use would I have on the phone?

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]torque79[/nom]huh? Yeah that original Samsung Galaxy is such "crap they were making", supporting flash, FLAC (instead of a proprietary lossless format), AMOLED screen with better contrast ratio and brightness, FAR less restrictive OS[/citation]

You and five other people in the world use FLAC. Most people can't tell the difference between lossless and higher bit rate lossy encodes, so it's kind of irrelevant. These are the features enthusiasts appreciate, but most consumers really don't care about.

And I was referring to the crap they were making before 2010, when they released the iphone clone Galaxy S series.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
It's a PHONE. If you want a big screen, get a TABLET.

This isn't rocket science.

And seriously - you really want a big screen and a massive battery in your pocket next to your JUNK emitting radiation?

Think about it.

G

im no great fan of Apple or the late Mr Jobs' but i have to admit, if a 3.5" screen can present the same amount of information that a 4" screen, then im all for the smaller format, it eats less power and alot more pocket-able

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]species8472[/nom]What a dick! He scrapped a product because "he didn't like it?" Apple did everything on his whims it would seem. No one else had any say in anything.[/citation]
On first glance your claims look valid, but I think the issue of fragmentation is very very valid. In fact, having a cohesive interface is what makes apple distinguished. Take for example android, it is very open, which is good. But the android ecosystem is very tough to develop for beause of fragmentation. A develpoer can write an app and it looks great, run it on a screen with a different resolution and things go wonky. Even worse on android is all the different hardware and firmware modifications that are allowed. An app can run great but the force close on certain devices. And usually the deveopler is the one that gets all the negative feedback, because users don't understand this. So you look at almost any app and you have a bunch of users leaving hateful feedback DEMANDING A FIX OR ELSE for an app they want for free anyways.

OK so that was a long rant, but not wanting to fragment the iphone ecosystem is a very valid reason to scrap a product. The best part of this whole rant is it comes from an apple hater and android fanboy. But I have been researching development for android so I can start writing apps and the task looks daunting becuase of all these issues. Maybe my opinions are starting to change, especially wit hthem being so less draconian now with unlockable phones (that has to because of Jobs, no doubt.)

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]You and five other people in the world use FLAC. Most people can't tell the difference between lossless and higher bit rate lossy encodes, so it's kind of irrelevant. These are the features enthusiasts appreciate, but most consumers really don't care about.And I was referring to the crap they were making before 2010, when they released the iphone clone Galaxy S series.[/citation]

I can't believe that a decent stereo is so rare. Very capable A/V receivers with lossless HD audio are a pittance now compared to what they used to cost, and you can even hunt for used speaker deals and get yourself a KILLER pair of stereo speakers for $500-$1000. Obviously not everyone can afford that though lots of people on this site probably spend that on their pc's. Forget even a stereo, buy yourself a VERY GOOD pair of headphones for $150-$400 and hook them up to your PC soundcard and enjoy the benefit of lossless music.

Instead, most manufacturers are now pushing to get educated people like myself to encode all my music (a lot of which are very high quality recordings) in crappy lossy audio formats. Do I want to store my entire collection in 2 formats? No. Why don't we encode all our blu-rays in 480p compressed video with stereo audio? Because we want to retain the best quality possible, especially for future viewing/listening.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
since I have owned both devices, I will chime in as an independant candidate here. I used to own the EVO and recently upgraded to the 4s. As for the screen argument, personally, I did like the EVO screeen size much better. It made it easier to read emails and web pages etc. On the other hand, anyone saying the device is pretty much the same as the iphone 4 is full of S##t. The graphics on the 4s are currently the best around for a handheld device (at least until supermans dad begins to show up on the mobile market). The camera is better than any other that I have used and the apps are still more polished on IOS than android (although, you may have more freedoms with android). Overall, I love my know Iphone but I do miss the bigger screen of my EVO 4G, but that is just my opinion. Its all about personal preference.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
LOL at all Rumor articles; look below and see under Related Stories all contradicting each other. As usual, the Analyst was wrong (at least, according to this latest rumor article).
Rumor: another article about a dead phone being killed by a dead guy. Really, Jane?..... You're threading on Gruener's territory.

We really need a separate column for Opinions and Rumors, and leave the News alone for people interested in facts about technology.

zeromikey

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]That is the only good thing Jobs has done to the world. Good job Jobs, you saved us from another hyper-expensive, overrated and bad iPhone[/citation]
exactly I hate him and his mac/ apple company they've never made good products just trendy ones.

AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
If the problem is screen size and form factor then make the iPhone's screen size 3.7" or 3.8". I can certainly understand some people complaining that 4" and higher screens are too big, especially for using with a single hand. At the same time it's understandable that the current 3.5" screen is too small to be usable in many cases including media viewing and web browsing. I think something like 3.8" is a good compromise because they could keep the same aspect ratio and just make the screen almost edge-to-edge or make it insignificantly wider. It would also let them keep marketing it as a "Retina Display".

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yeah yeah. Rumors rumors. Nokia also had proto of 5" screen, with 16MPix camera and 2GHz CPU but they decided to scrap it because it was too good.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]In others news, one of our professors in collage ditched his iphone 4 for a Galaxy S2...[/citation]FREE TIP: Have a point.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]In others news, one of our professors in collage ditched his iphone 4 for a Galaxy S2...[/citation]

In other news, Apple troll spells "college" wrong.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]It's a PHONE. If you want a big screen, get a TABLET.This isn't rocket science. And seriously - you really want a big screen and a massive battery in your pocket next to your JUNK emitting radiation?Think about it.[/citation]
Actually, If you've looked at the specs you'll find that the Galaxy series phones emit VERY low radiation compared to anything on the market: Galaxy S: 0.24 W/Kg, Galaxy Note: 0.16W/Kg (lowest on the smartphone market), and iPhone 4S: 1.16W/Kg (Basically a small nuclear reactor next to your junk).

So CHECK YOU F___ing facts before you post nonsense fool!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... iPhone 4S screen is normal size for one hand use... my bro haz an Samsung Galaxy S II... and the thing was... when you use the phone with one hand, with the screen size of iPhone 4S, it's easier to reach with the thumb to the opposite corner of the screen... this size is practical... and with the retina display, you can read small text pretty easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.