Rumor: Jobs Scrapped the iPhone 5 Shortly Before Launch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... iPhone 4S screen is normal size for one hand use... my bro haz an Samsung Galaxy S II... and the thing was... when you use the phone with one hand, with the screen size of iPhone 4S, it's easier to reach with the thumb to the opposite corner of the screen... this size is practical... and with the retina display, you can read small text pretty easy...[/citation]

Squinting at tiny text on a screen is something that really annoys me and only causes eye strain. Trust me, the SGS2 is about as big as I think a phone should reasonably go, but it is still practical. I have don't have plates of meat for hands either.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I've been rocking a 4.3" HTC HD7 for a while and have just placed an order for the 4.7" Titan. These TiNY Phones simply aren't large enough to allow adequate ease of use with modern apps, plus the fact that apple's 4x4 grid of icons is simply very boring and uninteresting compared to what android offers with Widgets and the fantastic live tiles on Mango.
Going back to use my iPod touch (because the apple remote for my aTV is utterly inadequate) is an exercise in frustration with its teeny keyboard and squintable display.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]in March I'm going with a Nexus and its bigger than anyone's phone screen at 4.6 inches and I will be the king again like I was with the first couple of Iphones. [/citation]
Sorry, my Titan beats your Nexus in screen size.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]species8472[/nom]What a dick! He scrapped a product because "he didn't like it?" Apple did everything on his whims it would seem. No one else had any say in anything.[/citation]

and yet they did what they were told and everything they come out with had breaking sales records

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]frankbough[/nom]Squinting at tiny text on a screen is something that really annoys me and only causes eye strain. Trust me, the SGS2 is about as big as I think a phone should reasonably go, but it is still practical. I have don't have plates of meat for hands either.[/citation]

You must have really bad eyes. I think you need to upgrade you're coke bottle sized glasses

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I read the whole thing because "no physical home button" was the first thing that popped while I attempted to skim the article. Dude, I have been preaching this ever since I got my first (and only) iOS device back in 2009, an iPod touch 2G.

If the "real" iPod touch 5G has oleophobic coating (meaning no more fingerprints), aluminum back (a la iPad), AND NO FRICKEN HOME BUTTON, I'm sold.

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
When iPhone 3 was out, everyone was hyping about iPhone 4 which in turn was the iPhone 3s.
Should people notice already there will always be a "S" model a few months after the launch of their new phone?!
iPhone 3G, 3Gs iPhone 4, 4s, iPhone 5, 5s

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]There was a time when I would despise all of you Apple haters commenting on something most of you never had to begin with. But I was one of those extremely disappointed with the 4S release after having every Iphone since the first one in 2007. The one that he scrapped would have been the one we were all waiting for and hoped it would be. Well sucks to be Apple because in March I'm going with a Nexus and its bigger than anyone's phone screen at 4.6 inches and I will be the king again like I was with the first couple of Iphones. Any teenager can have a Iphone now and I cant have a phone where thats the case.[/citation]

Go with Galaxy Note, it's 5.3''... with Nexus you might feel that you're not important enough :D

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]You must have really bad eyes. I think you need to upgrade you're coke bottle sized glasses[/citation]

I don't wear glasses. Eye strain happens over the long-term, and you'd hardly get it if you were unable to read the text on your screen.

And I am not a pair of glasses, thanks.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Even though the Iphone is a more powerful device?[/citation]

Man did you get thumbed down...peeps here don't like anybody that brings facts to the table..

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]In other news, Apple troll spells "college" wrong.[/citation]

ROTFLMAO....awesome catch...and you of course got thumbed down...(I thumbed you up for good measure though)

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]species8472[/nom]What a dick! He scrapped a product because "he didn't like it?" Apple did everything on his whims it would seem. No one else had any say in anything.[/citation]

That's actually the story of Apple. He would instigate fierce relentless competition between company divisions. But people sucked it up and took his crap. Just like people that keeps working at McD or Wal-mart

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Am I the only one who dislikes this trend of bigger phone screens? I like a phone that I can put in my pocket and forget it's even there. I think 3-4" is the sweet spot, anything more is just too much.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]They JUST fixed the 4S's battery life, and that's a new device... SGS2 has been there for almost a year now. Besides, WTF are you gonna do with that CPU? SGS2 has USB-on-the-Go and HDMI and bigga/better screen, this is what I need. Though now I want a Galaxy Note instead![/citation]

The fact they fixed the iPhone 4S's battery life almost immediately is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. The fact that the SGS2 STILL has issues after being out longer is even worse. iPhone 4S users don't need HDMI because they can stream to their televisions wirelessly, you know, the 21st century. As for USB on the go, with free synchronisation of documents using cloud services this just isn't needed. The screen is bigger - not better. Some people prefer not to carry around a massive brick. What are you gonna do with a faster CPU / GPU? Enjoy all round more responsive phone, better internet load times, better app load times, higher quality gaming experience. You know, EVERYTHING that one does on a phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]GTFO troll... I don't need over 9000 fps in Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja, unlike you. Full HD playback is smooth and browser is good, I checked. What other GPU use would I have on the phone?[/citation]

'Full HD Playback' does not mean that you can game in full HD. Even very basic netbooks can play HD video but when they try to play any kind of demanding games they get 20 FPS. And it's not about getting 9,000 FPS - it's about the fact that on newer, modern games you won't even get 60, which DOES make a lot of difference.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]... which always was ahead in... well, pretty much everything.[/citation]

Except that, it wasn't.

At that time Android had hardly any apps, they exchanged blows in performance terms, the iPhone 4 has a way way superior battery and much better Wifi connectivity, and of course a higher resolution screen.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24990.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24986.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24987.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24988.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24985.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24989.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24998.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24999.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/samsungfascinate_100310015502/24991.png

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ZEROmikey[/nom]exactly I hate him and his mac/ apple company they've never made good products just trendy ones.[/citation]

Show me a computer as capable as the macbook air, as cheap, and as small. Spoiler alert: it doesn't exist.

The iPhone 4S is also the highest performing CPU/GPU phone ever made, by anyone. So please.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Any teenager can have a Iphone now and I cant have a phone where thats the case.[/citation]

ROFL. I think this sums up the Android fans' mentality. Trying to differentiate themselves by their phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.