Rumor: Jobs Scrapped the iPhone 5 Shortly Before Launch

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Actually, If you've looked at the specs you'll find that the Galaxy series phones emit VERY low radiation compared to anything on the market: Galaxy S: 0.24 W/Kg, Galaxy Note: 0.16W/Kg (lowest on the smartphone market), and iPhone 4S: 1.16W/Kg (Basically a small nuclear reactor next to your junk).So CHECK YOU F___ing facts before you post nonsense fool![/citation]

Samsung Galaxy / Note

0.16W/kg (head) and 0.96 W/kg for the body

iPhone 4s:

Frequency Band / Body / Head
GSM 850 1.15 1.04
GSM 1900 0.99 1.08
UMTS II 1900 0.578 1.18
UMTS V 850 0.981 1.13
CDMA 800 MHz 1.11 1.15
CDMA 1900 MHz 0.649 1.18
2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 0.191 0.372

So depending on which phone you have, the iPhone 4S can sometimes have a lower SAR level than the Galaxy / Note, on the body (where it spends most of its time).

However, both are within even the tighter FCC guidelines (most targets are 1.6 vs Europe of 2.0) so they are both classified as safe to use..

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]frankbough[/nom]I don't wear glasses. Eye strain happens over the long-term, and you'd hardly get it if you were unable to read the text on your screen.And I am not a pair of glasses, thanks.[/citation]

You would get eye strain if you were struggling to read text on your screen, and perhaps you should wear glasses since eye strain is often indicative of that.

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]You would get eye strain if you were struggling to read text on your screen, and perhaps you should wear glasses since eye strain is often indicative of that.[/citation]

You will get eye strain by staring close-up at the screen regardless of ability to read the text, granted. However my point was that if you're unable to read the text you will increase the size - modern phones let you pinch zoom quite easily. My larger screen lets me do this quite handily and still see plenty on it.

This doesn't make the phone amazing, it's just a usability bonus over a smaller screen.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Yawn! if conflicting rumors are true that jobs left designs for the next 3 years of products I would bet the iphone 5 would be in there. this just sounds like some apple fan boi who got his hopes up now trying to justify their optimistic and over wishful thinking of what apple would release. there's no need to excuse the 4S branding over 5, it doesn't matter what its called, its still this generations iphone. Really who cares if it looks the same as iphone 4. As long as it performs better. Apple fans are happy, samsung have something to copy, other manufactures have something to aim for and improve on.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Man did you get thumbed down...peeps here don't like anybody that brings facts to the table..[/citation]
tell me about it. Get called a troll because their opinion differs to fact.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I can see how many people would consider a 3.5 - 4.0" screen the perfect size. It's easy to slide a single thumb all the way across the screen; the phone fits easily in your pocket; the pixel density is great.
The problem is I'm blind as a bat and a little screen just doesn't work for me. My little girl loves her ipod touch, but I have a hard time reading the text on it.
IMO there should be choice. Why doesn't Apple provide that? I'm becoming more and more of a WP7 fan now and I wish my provider offered the Titan. The bigger the better for me.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Droning on and on and on[/citation]
Could you possibly summarise? Reading 30 posts doing nothing other than attempt to refute other peoples statements makes you look decidedly obssessive.
Just saying
Rain man

G

The iphone's screen is really the perfect size.
All these other phones that are bigger than my hands are way too big, and just trying to fit all the stuff apple already has in their 3.5 inch phones

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]frankbough[/nom]Squinting at tiny text on a screen is something that really annoys me and only causes eye strain. Trust me, the SGS2 is about as big as I think a phone should reasonably go, but it is still practical. I have don't have plates of meat for hands either.[/citation]
... so my girl tested them: the Samsung Galaxy S2 and iPhone 3G and 4S... end the thing is... not only guys want to use the latest and greatest... apart from OS, the iPhone is practical for smaller hands in one hand use... wanna something bigger? ...use a tablet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS