Rumor: Microsoft to Subsidize a $99 Xbox 360 with Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
good for Microsoft. This isn't a bad deal at all. you need Xbox live gold to do anything anyways so this is not a way to stick it to poor people.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It's far better than the current method of going to a rent-to-own store and paying well over $1000 (most of these stores will be in the $1400-1700 range) a year for the same console without Xbox Live Gold.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
LOL

this is not only stupid, but why do this now at the end of this generation.

why not try this with their next generation console?

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
man, I hate the direction that consoles are moving. Closed systems with monthly fees and a lack of a quality game expierence. Sure there are a few fun games to play out there, but how many of them are worth $225 a year to play (plus ISP fees)?

Meanwhile, if you have a 3-5 year old PC and throw in a $100 GPU, $40 PSU, and a $20 controller to support it you can play a wider variety of games, both for free and for pay, with a higher quality experience than a console provides (faster loads, better textures, higher/denser resolution, etc). Yes, you can go insane and build some (wonderfully) insane game rig that make consoles look like cheap toys, but to get the console expierence it only costs the afterage person with a modern PC $160, and the only monthly fees are to your ISP (which you have to pay anyways), and if you choose to play an MMO.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
It's not like they're forcing you into anything. It's just an alternative for consumers. Choices are always good. Move along fools...

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]LOLthis is not only stupid, but why do this now at the end of this generation.why not try this with their next generation console?[/citation]

Why subsidize something you know will sell? This is to probably get rid of stock or to try and push other consoles out of the market for now. PLUS, it is much wiser to test this out now instead of later on when you need to make back money on the system you just developed. Microsoft could careless if more 360s get sold right now so if it flops, who cares? No loss. But if it flops with the new system then they could be out a lot of money.

[citation][nom]bigmack70[/nom]If you need to finance a console, you can't afford it. Plain and simple.[/citation]
Most people don't like putting down a lot of money right away, but wouldn't mind paying, in full, over a certain amount of time. I am like that. It's really hard to let go of a couple hundred dollars right at once. I would never do this because I'm out in the long run, but some people wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have to pay over the long term rather than right that instant.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
lol bad. gonna cost you $459 and locks you in for 2 years with an Xbox that's at the end of the cycle. especially when the new Wii U is coming out in under 6 months.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
4GB? They should throw the a bigger hard drive in there. You can't even save a game to that 4GB. By save, I mean rip the game to drive to load faster. If they are offering a music service or more video options I could see more space being needed. Unless they are preparing for some cloud service...

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jezus53[/nom]Most people don't like putting down a lot of money right away, but wouldn't mind paying, in full, over a certain amount of time. I am like that. It's really hard to let go of a couple hundred dollars right at once. I would never do this because I'm out in the long run, but some people wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have to pay over the long term rather than right that instant.[/citation]

That's what I'm saying. If $200-300 is a lot of money and you can't scrap that together for a purchase, you can't afford that purchase. If you need to finance this, you can't afford it. We're not talking about a car or a house that 99.9% of people can't pay for at once. It's not THAT much money.

And if you don't need to finance this, then this deal isn't going to tempt you because as you said, it's more expensive in the long run.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
well i think microsoft starts this way of selling with xbox 360 to sell some more and to make the users be on this service when the new xbox appears.. ;)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pale paladin[/nom]good for Microsoft. This isn't a bad deal at all. you need Xbox live gold to do anything anyways so this is not a way to stick it to poor people.[/citation]

i cant justify paying for multiplayer, so, the 360 is my single player only machine, and it has lots of games for it.

[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]That's what I'm saying. If $200-300 is a lot of money and you can't scrap that together for a purchase, you can't afford that purchase. If you need to finance this, you can't afford it. We're not talking about a car or a house that 99.9% of people can't pay for at once. It's not THAT much money.And if you don't need to finance this, then this deal isn't going to tempt you because as you said, it's more expensive in the long run.[/citation]

i have done the math... if you aren't skimping on basic nessissities, and aren't living in the ghetto side of town, you should be lucky to have EVEN 100$ in spending money at the end of a given month you are lucky.

saving up 4-500$ for many is a 5-7 month experience, IF they aren't skimping, or making a crap ton, just average people.

now, tell me that finance options are bad.

inerax

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i cant justify paying for multiplayer, so, the 360 is my single player only machine, and it has lots of games for it. i have done the math... if you aren't skimping on basic nessissities, and aren't living in the ghetto side of town, you should be lucky to have EVEN 100$ in spending money at the end of a given month you are lucky. saving up 4-500$ for many is a 5-7 month experience, IF they aren't skimping, or making a crap ton, just average people. now, tell me that finance options are bad.[/citation]

what job do you work that it takes you 5-7 months to save up $500?

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have done the math... if you aren't skimping on basic nessissities, and aren't living in the ghetto side of town, you should be lucky to have EVEN 100$ in spending money at the end of a given month you are lucky. saving up 4-500$ for many is a 5-7 month experience, IF they aren't skimping, or making a crap ton, just average people. now, tell me that finance options are bad.[/citation]

If you are that close on finances, you need to get a part time job or some extra schooling to improve your lot in life instead of spending time playing an Xbox.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
It's not just about getting poor people to buy Xbox 360s. A lot of non-poor people just don't want to spend that much money up front. Spreading it out over two years will get them more sales and every such sale will earn M$ more money than they would otherwise make. There's nothing wrong with M$ offering another way to purchase the Xbox 360.

I won't do it, but there's no reason to criticize M$ for this because they really aren't doing anything wrong nor stupid with it. Now if M$ wanted to make you pay like 25% or more over the price of buying up front or was only doing it with refurbished 360s or some other BS, then I could understand criticism. However, none of that is the case here.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Smart move MSFT this should generate more sales in the long run. But how would it work if you didn't pay the monthly fee would your live account just be shut off? Would they send you to collections?

Status
Not open for further replies.