Rumor: MS to Make 'Huge' Xbox 720 Announcement at CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Not shocked at the 2GB RAM; doesn't make sense for consoles to have any more. I do find dual-GPU's interesting though, and wonder how much poor scaling will affect the long-term viability of the console...

das_stig

Distinguished
The only way M$ can put in a Bulldozer based cpu if they get it cheap from AMD, probably a special 95 watt 4-core AMD Bulldozer FX-4x00 series.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go the next generation Llano, something a bit more powerful than the current A8-38x0 sereies that has integrated HD6550D GPU.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Whatever they do I hope the new XBOX is beefy enough to avoid the spillover console dumbing-down that is affecting many cross-platform games. PC hardware suffers from game developers gimping their games so current gen consoles can run it. Our hardware doesn't get to utilize their full power as a result.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jeffredo[/nom]Whatever they do I hope the new XBOX is beefy enough to avoid the spillover console dumbing-down that is affecting many cross-platform games. PC hardware suffers from game developers gimping their games so current gen consoles can run it. Our hardware doesn't get to utilize their full power as a result.[/citation]

Until Sony and MS pull the plug on the 360/PS3, most multiplatform developers will just use the 360/PS3 for it's development base so they can make more money. The 720 will get a lot of watered down ports.

It'll be up to exclusive, 1st party developers to make full use of the console's hardware.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
minimal graphics would have to be equivalent to 6990 for AMD to assure it does not become obsolete within 2 years. CPU wouldn't have to be as extreme since for the most part you are talking about 1920x1080 as your max target resolution which is generally not going to be CPU bound with anything quad core that moves along at around 3Ghz. The only way I would be impressed is if it maxes out GPU beyond current PC standards.

graysoniv

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jeffredo[/nom]Whatever they do I hope the new XBOX is beefy enough to avoid the spillover console dumbing-down that is affecting many cross-platform games. PC hardware suffers from game developers gimping their games so current gen consoles can run it. Our hardware doesn't get to utilize their full power as a result.[/citation]
Couldn't agree more. This doesn't just affect graphics but UI design as well. Take a look at Skyrim's UI great for a console but pretty bad for computer with a keyboard and a mouse.

ltdementhial

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]minimal graphics would have to be equivalent to 6990 for AMD to assure it does not become obsolete within 2 years. CPU wouldn't have to be as extreme since for the most part you are talking about 1920x1080 as your max target resolution which is generally not going to be CPU bound with anything quad core that moves along at around 3Ghz. The only way I would be impressed is if it maxes out GPU beyond current PC standards.[/citation]

6990 on a console is impossible since it will ad 700 bucks to the console price..from a point of view when this generation came out it wasn't bad the Ps3 has a 7800GT look like and th 360 an x1900-1950 that acording to the Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart is a little better, the Wii u its suposed to have something with the performance of an HD4870-5750-6750 so i think Ps4 will have somenthing like an 560-560ti and Xbox 720 something like an HD 6850-6870...tough i would like to see the xbox with an incoming HD 7xxx and the Ps with an at least 570 or an incoming 6xx gpu.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
FINALLY, A NEW XBOX!

This is the best news for PC gaming, yet! Now we won't have to dumb down our graphics to appease the consoles kids!

Maybe it'll even have a mouse/keyboard option so we won't have to dumb down the controls as well!

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Its going to happen so just embrace it. Hopefully it will give devs a good reason to make multiplatform games that much better for the PC elite. But I want facts! And i dont want a weak next Gen Console.

G

Intel will likely use their usual billion -dollar bribes and threats to get AMD out of the Xbox, or delay its release.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]das_stig[/nom]The only way M$ can put in a Bulldozer based cpu if they get it cheap from AMD, probably a special 95 watt 4-core AMD Bulldozer FX-4x00 series.I wouldn't be surprised if they go the next generation Llano, something a bit more powerful than the current A8-38x0 sereies that has integrated HD6550D GPU.[/citation]

I think it's extremely unlikely that they're going to go with power hungry Bulldozer chips... or x86 chips in general. Has any gaming console in history ever used an x86 processor?

Wasn't the rumor a few weeks ago that it's going to be an ARM based CPU with specialized co-processors on the same die? That would explain the 6 "cores".

Dual GPU sounds weird though...

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Even if they did reveal a new Xbox with great specifications, im sure they will find some way to junk it up with tons of advertisements. Im sure they'll remember not to include a native internet-browser in the OS, it would 'ruin the experience for the living room'.

I really love paying for "Xbox live" service, they give me the inside scoop on the latest junk and ads from sponsors. Sorry i don't feel like shopping every time i look at my game console; perhaps I actually want to browse the internet (without a terminal computer) as part of the service I pay for.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I'm guessing it will be the Bulldozer version of the Llano. I suspect it will be a higher end chip since it has to last a few generations. Hopefully more RAM is added before it is done. At least give us 4 GB.

darknate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
i think it was bethesda that said making games for pc is challening because you have to make for so many different hardware configurations. where all you people claim you have these great systems, the majority of people dont. so blame the people that have old systems over blaming consoles. its easier to push a dedicated system farther than it is to push a million different configs.regardless of your power, the games have to be designed for the lowest common denominator.

as for the dual gpu. some of you bitching, whining people claim to have dual card set-ups. same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.