Rumor: New PSP Unveiling at E3; PS3 Slim Early Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Sony, I'm glad you're ditching UMD but if you want me to buy a PSP, please let us use SD cards.[/citation]

I think the point of getting rid of UMD was to slow down rampant piracy on the PSP, SD cards would just make it easier.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
if theres a slimer PS3 will the price go down? if it does i will buy one and see what ive been missing out on!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
That picture is so fake.

That's probably just an illusion. Put the camera right above the PS3, then take a few pictures. Voila, choose one that looks thin.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
heres what i hope for the psp go just give us hd cards and a second analog stick i mean its not that hard and as for the slim ps3
at the MOST 300 dollars
ps2 and ps1 backwards compatibility(ok at least the ps2)
at least a bundeled game or extra controller

p.s they should take a note from microsoft and make a reeeeeealy cheap version for 200 max and have a high end option waiting.

G

I have never bought a ps2 or ps3. If they bring back the emotion engine HARDWARE in the PS3, I would buy it up sooo fast. Bring back (at least) the specs the system came with, don't cannibalize it.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
it's probably the rumours that suggested sony into making the slim version instead of the other way around. but hey, i don't have ps3 yet so i'll have a shot at waiting till the slim comes out.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ANDEssd[/nom]I have never bought a ps2 or ps3. If they bring back the emotion engine HARDWARE in the PS3, I would buy it up sooo fast. Bring back (at least) the specs the system came with, don't cannibalize it.[/citation]
Why would they need to? I'm pretty sure they can get an Emulator working for the PS3 (supposedly Sony did, but decided against it to keep PS2 sales up). Hardware emulation is great from a compatibility stand point, but it means the quality isn't going to increase by much (upscaling).

With Software Emulation you can render at higher resolution, use AA, filter the textures to increase the quality, and various shader options.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I wounder how they would be able to keep the Cells heat down in a slim version of the PS3.....The Cell does run pretty hot.....[/citation]
After a quick look at Wikipedia, the first PS3's used a 90nm Cell procssor. Now they use a 65nm Cell. I would bet that by the time this slim version is released, they will have moved to a 45nm Cell. That CPU should produce a lot less heat than the original 90nm Cells.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]heres what i hope for the psp go just give us hd cards and a second analog stick i mean its not that hard and as for the slim ps3at the MOST 300 dollarsps2 and ps1 backwards compatibility(ok at least the ps2)at least a bundeled game or extra controllerp.s they should take a note from microsoft and make a reeeeeealy cheap version for 200 max and have a high end option waiting.[/citation]
If they switch the Cell processor manufacturing to 45nm, I would expect manufacturing prices to drop significantly due to the cheaper processor, less need to acount for heat, and overall less raw materials. I wouldn't be suprised to see prices below 300.

G

@ Tindytim

Do you even know what you're talking about? At first they had hardware emulation built into the PS3 system.

To cut costs (supposedly $25 per unit) they removed the first piece: the emotion chip, aka, hardware emulation. It was because of this chip that PS3 had virtually 100% backwards compatibility. They then brought out software emulation, which through the various updates got better, but it is still NOT as compatible with all games, and still the games that are 'compatible' are susceptible to 'graphics abnormalities' Take for example a game I love, 'Tales of Vesparia'. The emulated solution messes up the graphics in certain areas, making it difficult to play.

The second, third, fourth, and fifth pieces were all removed at once: The software emulation entirely, the card readers, support for Super Audio cds (of which my father has quite a collection), and the USB ports were reduced from 4 to 2 all in an effort to reduce costs.

My point is they keep removing features of the unit... who else does that? No one. Who wants a reduced unit for the just about the same price the previous ones sold for? Not me.

4c1dr41n4

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
For those of you who are not keeping up with the rumors:

PSP = PSP - UMD Drive + Built-in MS

You will HAVE to buy all your games through the PSN.

In case you don't know, you already CAN buy games through the PSN for your regular PSP, but many games are only available in UMDs. The PSP Go will force publishers to make them available through the PSN.

This is interesting for Sony. Sales through PSN should yield a much greater margin for them. This channel also seems to be less vulnerable to piracy. It's also a stab on the used games market.

This can also be interesting for consumers. The PSP Go should be cheaper (No UMD Drive). Games can be cheaper (simpler distribution). The memory stick use less battery than the UMD (obviously).

Let's see what happens.

G

I found the PSP or even the gameboy SP too thin for my hands.
The old gameboy was more natural on the hands.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
This is OOOOLLLLDDD news and that PS3 picture has already been a fake. Don't expect the PS3 to redesign for at least another 2 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.